A new era for San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will we end up with a situation like they have in Greek islands when they have lookouts for the police and when the owners get the signal they turn the music off untill they have driven past then turn it up again.ridiculous cat n mouse stuff

Will we end up with a situation like they have in Greek islands when they have lookouts for the police and when the owners get the signal they turn the music off untill they have driven past then turn it up again.ridiculous cat n mouse stuff

Agreed. Very tedious stuff. When this happened it almost made me wish there was no music at all, such was the futility of it. Not the mention the fact that the police are fully aware that the bars do this. The whole thing is a charade.

I'd be infinitely more pissed-off as a local resident having music go on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off, than I would if it was just continuously playing. :spank:

to an extent this already happens...music outside is banned ater 12 but many bars will have doors open and closing with music coming out and you keep your eye out for the police...

Does that mean Taboo & Temptation will have to shut early too ? :eek: Let's face it was pretty much down to there or Hush! between 5 & 6am anyway .... sad that Hush ! will have to close early - was the only real alternative if you wanted to stay in San An rather than go to a big Club.

Oh never mind - car parties at s'Estanyol (the other one !) to see in the Sunrise just like the old days it is then - just to make the PK2 Janitor's day start a little earlier than usual ;)

There were quite a lot of places open till six!

V Club, Taboo, temptations, Viva, Hush, Tropicana, Traffik, Entice, The Ship, Play2 (pretty sure Ive been in there till 6 anyway!)... you could still do a jolly little bar crawl at that time of night :)

Also how will the likes of Ocean Beach club be able to play music from 12pm surely if no music then no point in being open? I thought their whole model was built on day time events? Just what I thought as the opening time was 12pm(never went).

theibizasun

Opening Hours
A new bylaw was agreed by the Town Hall last Friday, regulating the opening hours of bars and pubs in the borough, which will now have to close an hour earlier than previously; that is at 5.00 o"clock instead of 6.00. This only applies to the businesses in the West End as the other music bars and discotheques on the outskirts of the town will still be permitted to stay open until 6.00. At the same time it was agreed that music which is audible from the outside must cease at midnight and will not be permitted until 4.00 o"clock in the afternoon.
Around 150 people turned up at the Town Hall on Friday shortly before the new legislation was voted through, but their presence had little effect and the new bylaw was passed after receiving support from the PP and es Nou Partit, while the PSOE party, who had vehemently rejected the introduction, chose to abstain.

Agreed. Very tedious stuff. When this happened it almost made me wish there was no music at all, such was the futility of it. Not the mention the fact that the police are fully aware that the bars do this. The whole thing is a charade.

I'd be infinitely more pissed-off as a local resident having music go on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off, than I would if it was just continuously playing. :spank:

This is a good point. Studies on noise and stress have found that noise becomes a chronic stressor when it is surprising and has no rhythm. Monotonous noise has little effect. Additionally, this type of noise has been found to be a chronic stressor even when people don't have any perception of stress. So if the on-off thing happens as a result of noise regulations the locals may find that their health will deteriorate greatly!

still can't believe this has gone through, I work in one of the affected venues and this hour is probably our busiest along with 4-5am. Almost defies belief that in a time of recession when businesses are struggling to make money as it is, a local council takes a decision like this knowing full well the impact. I just don't get what this is supposed to 'fix'?

theibizasun

Security

Hoteliers in the centre of the town have agreed to continue the initiative which was started last summer and contract security guards to patrol the central streets at night, which will be in operation from the 15th of June until the 15th of September when the town is overwhelmed with tourists. There are forty establishments which have agreed to finance the scheme, but it is thought that this number will increase when other bar, shop and restaurant owners in the West End realize the vital work that the officers are performing and join in. At the outset there will be just two sets of security guards, but the idea is to increase the number as the summer wears on. Although officially these people are only allowed to patrol the streets, they are permitted to go from one establishment to the other, at a distance of not more than two kilometres, which effectively means that they will be able to operate throughout the whole of the West End. The hoteliers reported that these security guards will not just be on hand to prevent possible conflicts, but also to help tourists who have suffered theft or loss of their property or have been attacked, as well as helping them to get back to their hotels when they have had one too many.
The scheme began last year when it became clear that the number of Local Police officers patrolling the streets was insufficient, with a spokesman for the group reiterating this week that the aim is to increase tourist welfare during the summer season. The Vice President of the Hoteliers Association in the town, Juanjo Planells, revealed that they had asked for assistance from the Town Hall, but accepted that, considering the difficult economic situation, it is unlikely that funds will be made available from this source.

Really don't see why there was such an issue with this last year from the people in charge, seems like a cracking idea, it's self-funded and could greatly improve the reputation of the West End.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back