A magical 3 days .. and 3 nights [4-7 July 2012]

Let the inevitable public stoning commence. I'll be on the music page for a while.

Ha! I get the same when I go a bit wild... hell if people knew half the **** I do I swear they would try to toss me in jail even though I'm NOT hurting anyone...

That said, yes, I know driving drunk is stupid but well... I'm entitled to being stupid occasionally and will pay the consequences if my stupidity harms me or anyone else.

I can honestly say that you are probably insane... not in a bad way but in the best possible way.

Kudos to you along with my respect and admiration...

I could comment bunches and am sorely tempted to do so but I have a review to write and have already spent hours reading instead of sleeping.

One thing no one else seems to mention however must be answered....

Prawn business!?!?!?!?

Seriously, that is why I wear ear plugs... PRAWNS!?!?!

Speechless.

That said, yes, I know driving drunk is stupid but well... I'm entitled to being stupid occasionally and will pay the consequences if my stupidity harms me or anyone else.

Thought a bit about this. Thing is, depending on where you do it, you can easily pay consequences even if what you do does not harm you or anyone else. In this particular context, limits are extremely low and Courts are very intolerant of it in some parts of Europe. They often go out of their way to dish out severe and arguably wildly disproportionate penalties even if you marginally fail breath or other tests, which could happen all too easily. It is a punishment for taking risks which are judged to increase the likelihood of harming others whether or not any such harm is caused.

Do think very carefully, know and understand the risks, and be aware of what you're in for if you do get held to account. This can and does extend to prison time. Simplest way of being sure is to carry a self-test kit - which is obligatory in France now. In the days I used to travel there frequently, there was an extremely high incidence of drink driving, and rural areas in particular were undeniably a very hazardous place to be on the roads. At the time I simply took that as being part of the 'deal' with a choice not to go if you didn't want to drive / be driven (or to take extreme care if you did, especially at night or after lunch !).

As I said above I have never viewed this as something to be taken lightly. If they looked into it carefully, many people would view the potential consequences as far outweighing what they might gain from the convenience and opportunity. That all depends on the person. I have lived for many years in countries with no prohibitive laws where alcohol and driving are concerned. Amidst such wild inconsistency over time in single countries and between different countries at a point in time it is often tempting to set boundaries which fit your own parameters, especially when you frequent different parts of the world.

However, there is a persuasive argument for respecting the prevailing laws of the country you are in, if you wish to remain immune from judicial and public sanction. Should you attract such sanction, for whatever reason, then after the event very few will be interested in hearing about reasons or justification and will judge you summarily. This is basic human nature. Your fellow human beings on the whole judge others by the yardsticks they are told to (however inconsistent over time) and my experience over the years is that the norm seems to be for people to seek reasons to judge others.

All that said, I am a firm believer that a person's life path is theirs and theirs alone to find their way through. Try as I may have done in the past, I am wholly unable to judge the decisions or actions of others. I do have a benign but strong interest in the underlying reasons for peoples' actions, the way they manage consequences and the way in which they (hopefully) evolve positively as a result. I have a similar interest in both myself and in how people manage misfortune or injustice (whether at the hands of others or the operation of 'fate'). That may sound a somewhat detached view of the world, but it is one which I believe to be inherently sound, and far more enlightening than the path of judgement.

For my own part, I make no attempt to justify my actions, nor do I have any regrets. I do, however, think carefully and regularly about the choices I make and sometimes such self-examination leads naturally to change. In the end what matters most, if you choose to take risky paths, is that you are willing to take full responsibility for your actions and any consequences, and that you shield others around you from negative fallout as far as is possible should something go wrong.

As light is the corollary to dark, all self-indulgence must be repaid by sacrifice for others and all harm must be mitigated with commensurate good. However, sacrifice for others does not buy a right to self-indulgence and all good does not justify harm. It does seem that this is the natural way of things.... in short there is always a price to be paid ;)

However, there is a persuasive argument for respecting the prevailing laws of the country you are in, if you wish to remain immune from judicial and public sanction.

Indeed Mr Kimajy, living in the Middle East, I know full well how important this is. Although I push the boundaries on occasion (generally through excess) and I think i would be immune to prosecution due to my connections here, I still try my best during the week to live in line with the law.

Indeed Mr Kimajy, living in the Middle East, I know full well how important this is. Although I push the boundaries on occasion (generally through excess) and I think i would be immune to prosecution due to my connections here, I still try my best during the week to live in line with the law.

I was actually thinking quite particularly about your part of the world when I wrote that bit ;) ... and there are always occasions when connections can prove elusive or decidedly "loose" when presented with a compromising situation :!:

The UK tabloids particularly bash the "strict" laws here. Infact they are not that bad, you know fornicating in public is illegal in the UK so why the surprise when when it is not tolerated here. There is an interesting case going here. If guilty throw the book at them I say!

DUBAI // A drunk Irishman accused of having sex with a British woman in the back of a taxi was caught with his trousers down, a police officer told a court today.
The officer, a 22-year-old, told the Misdemeanour Court that when he approached the taxi he saw RB, a 29-year-old recruitment executive, without any underwear on gyrating on top of CM, 27.
"The man's trousers were down to his knees," said the officer, who added that when they looked up and saw him they quickly began to get dressed. "The woman started crying and saying she wanted to go home," he told the court.
Despite the officer's testimony the man and woman denied having sex during the incident, which happened last May, though they admitted consuming large quantities of alcohol at a hotel beforehand.
"We are not guilty, but we confess that we drank alcohol," the two told courtroom number 9 through a translator yesterday in their first court appearance. They are both facing charges of having consensual sex and consuming alcohol.
"I had five glasses of white wine and four glasses of vodka," RB admitted during her police interrogation, while CM put his consumption at "six to seven" glasses of vodka. RB said she met CM at a hotel on May 4 and they began chatting. The two then left the hotel and hailed a cab together.
They were picked up by the Pakistani taxi driver QP, 29, at about 11pm, and asked him to drive to Al Barsha. However, the driver said that when they arrived they became vague about the directions. "I told them to be specific," said the taxi driver, adding that they then asked him to drive to the Marina area.
"On the way I saw the man taking out an alcohol bottle and he drank from it. I told him it was not allowed but he continued drinking, then threw the empty bottle from the window."
The driver said that as he reached Tecom bridge leading to Dubai internet City he noticed the woman was sitting on the man's lap. "I could see through the mirror that she had nothing on to cover her back," he said, adding that he then noticed a police patrol near the American University. He honked at the officer who then came over to investigate.
"As I parked and stepped out of the vehicle, I saw her topless," said the driver. "I didn't see them having sex but she was topless and the way she sat on top of him looked more like a sexual position, and she was moaning for about two minutes."
He said he saw them kissing and that RB then tried to bribe him. "When we were all taken to the police station, the woman offered to give me a large amount of money if I didn't say they were having sex and said they were only drinking alcohol and kissing," he testified.
Both RB and CM denied the driver's account, and insisted they had not had sex. "I did not take off my shorts or underwear," said RB, while CM claimed he had only hugged RB.
However, the two differed in their accounts. RB said that she was sitting behind the driver and overbalanced while reaching for some food. She said CM held her to help her regain her balance as she was "totally drunk".
"I did not have sex with [CM] in the taxi, and I don't know why the driver is claiming that it happened," she told prosecutors.
However, In RB's version of the story, he was the one who sat behind the driver.
A forensics report found no DNA evidence to prove intercourse had occurred. Some scratches were found on RB's hands which she claimed were caused by her cat.

^^ doesn't sound like they were having sex to me ! I disapprove wholeheartedly of the lad's outrageous decision to toss a bottle from the taxi window, however - the environmental pollution crime is far more culpable in my book than the seemingly juvenile drunken fumbling in the back seat of the cab :lol:

On a more serious note, I do avoid the Middle East these days - though I have worked for spells in both Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Doing without booze causes me no problems at all (haven't drunk alcohol since August by choice even in UK) and if I remember right you can drink in the hotels/bars anyway. Always felt a "charged" and tense atmosphere in UAE though.. Expats definitely viewed as 2nd class citizens by the locals and I'm no fan of prejudice in any form. Never liked it there at all actually but found Abu Dhabi far nicer than Dubai.

I don't get the "public decency" fixation / restrictions which prevail so widely in both Europe and many other countries (including UK), however. There's no "religious" explanation as there is in the Middle East.

Personally have no problem with public nudity or people having sex outside but would prefer if they were discreet about the sex (back of a cab with a Moslem driver would be a step too far in terms of lack of respect for someone else !). Spain (and the Balearics in particular) are pretty liberated in this regard - and I believe the domestic culture is actually far more wholesome and happy as a result. I grew up in a (non-Moslem) country with strict censorship and zero tolerance of many things which are actually perfectly natural. Can't say that on balance it did anything more than create frustration and promote covert deviancy :!:

Dubai sounds like one of the worst places on Earth. The strict laws on sex/booze are fairly minor compared to the slavery and exploitation that underpin the whole place, though perhaps that's just capitalism more visible? :evil: (There's a good Independent article on it if ya Google.)

stuck in Qatar. Eid Mubarakh! but i can not get out of country as i need an exit pass!
this is no joke... So to leave country you need your compan/sponsor to grant you an exit pass. if you get in bother and end up fronting to British Embassy, even they can not get you out (so they say but I am sure they could in extreme cases). They are holding the World Cup here, I think they need to change quick!

Last edited by a moderator:
Exiting Qatar
(For Workers only)
If you are going to exit Qatar and are in Qatar on a WORK permit or WORK visa, you will need to get an exit permit when leaving for vacation. The reason for this is to protect companies and the country itself from people trying to escape their obligations. (i.e. paying a penalty ticket, or terminating a contract early).
You can obtain your Exit visa (permission stamped) at Al Gharaffa immigration. (This is located opposite of the Traffic Police Building.
If you are a man join a queue and hand over your form. (Women can breeze past the queue and get it done behind the counter.) A minute or so later you will be given a new form, which you must hand over when you leave the country. As before, the exit visa is valid for seven days.

I stayed up late last night to finish reading your review and I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your Ibiza exploits!! :lol: The hippy story made me cry :oops:

What do you do for a living, cos if youre not writing then you really should consider it!? You have a way of engaging the reader and making them want more!

I couldnt see the pics tho...not sure why?

Bl00dy great review :D

I second that!!! Great writing!!!

Had to make sure the newbies like me read this epic thread! Yes that's the correct way to use epic!!!

thanks for sharing

Almost a year latter an I immediately thought of this thread.

0b482e5384511888c85da68605d23e3c.jpg

Almost a year latter an I immediately thought of this thread.

That's class. LOL. Really does feel like that was all in a different life ... fate has had me paying the price for all that fun last year ever since ! Think it was worth it though - provided you only live once :twisted:.

:). I have to admit, amusing though it is, the whole affair had elements of a "Boogie Nights" flavour to it at times ... :eek:

Since the forum upgrade, all my photos posted direct from IE as copied pics have disappeared for some reason - though I can still post new ones on new threads. It's weird. If I'm ever at a loose end ... and can find them again ... I'll try to post them back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back