A magical 3 days .. and 3 nights [4-7 July 2012]

kimajy

Been blowing hot & cold as to whether to fully review my last trip. Not because it was in any way average – far from it – more because it was so intense a whirlwind journey it's taken me a good while to ground myself enough again to put fingers to keyboard. Even for me. :eek:

Have decided to share some more personal aspects of my thoughts, feelings and encounters along the way this time as the trip unfolded.. I guess because grappling with my grip on reality, managing out challenges and some of the realizations which unfolded were as much a part of the Ibiza experience as the places and people. Maybe there will be too much shared. So be it – I'll take the risk. This is going up in stages – I've hardly stood still since getting back. Just can't do this one all at once... and some of the detail is starting to fade already. So here goes .. before it fades some more.

3rd July .. Tuesday .. Am I or aren't I

It was touch and go whether this trip was going to happen, as is so often the case for me :x. Booked my flights 3 days ahead as fares were very reasonable but escalating rapidly and left everything else non-refundable until the day before to minimise the potential damage if all went belly up. Come 6pm it was going to happen :twisted:. I was exhausted and stressed but still felt those waves of childish excitement at the prospect of being in Ibiza again. Still nothing was planned :confused:. I booked up my hire car, hotel, insurances and airport parking, bid farewells, jumped in the car and drove the 200 mile marathon up to Thames Valley where my passport, driving licence and clothes were waiting.

A four-hour respite gave me just enough time to throw a suitcase together, check out the bar and club lineups and print off a few choice reminders of places I fancied going to (or back to) ... knowing all too well that by the time I was underway in Ibiza everything would fly clean out of my head without something to jog my memory.

Wednesday 4th July ... and I'm off !

A shower and a pint of Red Bull see me on the road and driving through the remains of the early morning to Birmingham airport. All fatigue has melted away under the excitement :p - which is now building more and more strongly by the mile.

Probably look like a club refugee by the time I hit the check-in :oops: .. and I haven't even got there yet ! All Thomas Cook tickets sold less than 4 days ahead automatically include 20kg checked luggage and an in-flight meal (nice cooked breakfast) so there's no need to stress about taking everything I need or paying a fortune for snacks and the flight over passes in a flash. 8)

Maybe managed an hour of broken dozing but all too soon we've hit the tarmac at just after 11.15am and I'm glad of having been able to shove my trousers and waterproof in the suitcase rather than wear them out as it's already 27 degrees and blazing sunshine as we vacate the plane :eek:. I'm first off the bus and straight to the Atesa counter to sort my car contract out.

They know me at the Terminal Desk (as at the Avis/Budget one !!), along with my preference for Diesel cars, and without even asking I'm upgraded to a racing red gutsy Citroen C4 Diesel ... which I know has a killer stereo as standard :twisted::p:twisted: ! I'm given a knowing smile by the girl on the counter as she hands me the contract – “Enjoy your stay !”. That ... can be taken as guaranteed. With an equally knowing smile - “you know I always do !!” - and I'm off.

By now my suitcase is through on the carousel and I don't even stop for my usual fag before picking the car and keys up in building across the road. It's filthy inside and out – I'm not bothered as I was lucky to get it at all for under £100 prepaid for 3 days ... everywhere else was quoting £160+ :eek::eek::eek: .. a shocking increase on this time last year ! Grafitti on the damage diagram duly signed off, I floor it straight to the Port of Ibiza and the open-air car park opposite the ferry terminal. I'm on a mission this morning .. to catch the 1pm Mediterannea-Pitusa fast ferry to Formentera, which I make with 2 minutes to spare ! :eek:

396859_380261842040474_1661313449_n.jpg

Any later and it's marginal whether it's worth going over for the rest of the day at all. I'm really excited - haven't made it to Formentera in years.

The Fast Ferry

I've locked everything in the car boot bar 100 Euros, my driving licence, credit card, car key, phone/aquapac, waterproof camera, snorkelling gear/bag, sandwich and a tray of sushi I'd picked up at Birmingham airport M&S on my way over... and some water bought hastily from a vending machine at Ibiza airport on arrival.

You need very little else to have total flexibility on a day trip to Formentera – except swimshorts, t-shirt and sandals for getting around and for the trip over and back. I'm transformed - really feeling like I'm fully on holiday already and all signs of stress and fatigue have vanished 8). Still can't believe I was at Birmingham airport only 4 ½ hours ago. :eek::eek:

Buying my ticket on-board in cash. It's not cheap these days on the fast ferry as a non-resident and the ferry's hardly occupied :arrow::eek::eek:

295386_380238092042849_281856879_n.jpg

But I do get 5Euros off a 125cc scooter hire from Formotor with the tiket so at least that's something. Phone ahead to Formotor from the boat to put one aside for me on arrival. The lady speaks French, Spanish and Italian (no English). I'm saved by my French and it works out at 20Euros cash for the day (full-to-full) with the damage deposit on my credit card. So by the time I go to pick my helmet up I should have 36Euros in cash left and a back-up card, which is plenty.

The trip over is a bit rough but gets us in around 1.40pm – there's a little bit of extra time involved leaving and docking so although the crossing itself is only 20-25 minutes, the board to disembark times are a little longer. Some lovely views of Ibiza Port/Old Town and s'Espalmador on the crossing

391565_380262118707113_232081781_n.jpg

558323_380261018707223_1064327000_n.jpg

479929_380260665373925_1171687906_n.jpg

319380_380256355374356_115555946_n.jpg

and I spend most of the time outside on the back deck. ;):p

539647_380258155374176_588302452_n.jpg

The sun is furiously hot and I realize I've left my suncream behind. There was always going to be something ! I've got a good base tan from 4 trips abroad in the last month so figure I should just about be OK, but not ideal – silly mistake in haste and fatigue .. make a note to self to keep my wits about me as I'm already clearly not 100% on the ball !

Last edited by a moderator:
Fabulous Formentera

320303_380240018709323_1523649643_n.jpg

The scooter pick-up on arrival is very easy. Just a tip – never drive off on one without a proper demo and making sure you know how to work indicators, brakes (they can vary bike-to-bike), seat stowage release and lock and stand(s) for the particular scooter you are picking up, and checking everything works. I've had bad (and very painful) experiences making assumptions on those fronts in the past so just take the extra 5 minutes to test everything yourself – even if they are busy the guys who hand over the bike are usually very good about that – in the end, they want to have it back in one piece and rented out the next day.

529454_380264515373540_1228613201_n.jpg

Everything I have with me fits in the stowage compartment under the seat. Sounds obvious but if you haven't rented scooters before, unless you have zip-pockets on your shorts, and they are zipped up (very easy to forget), don't ever drive off with stuff on your person – it probably won't be with you by the time you park up !

Quick wobbly circuit of the port area to get comfortable (haven't ridden one in over 3 years :confused: !) and I'm zooming off to Cala Saona barely after 2pm. The furious wind is envigorating and refreshing :D .. I'm feeling unbelievably calm and happy and I almost want to pinch myself ... can't believe I actually managed it all and I'm here doing this right here, right now !

The scooter is incredibly punchy 8)8)8). I open it up on a deserted stretch of flattish road and it comfortably accelerates to 110km/h +. This'll do very nicely, thank you – it's going to be an amazing day !

When I park up at Cala Saona and go check out the beach and cafe, it's pretty busy and I'm actually hit by a huge wave of ‘delayed shock'. The journey is over. I've reached a destination. So now what ? :confused: I've no desire to sit down for a lunch or be around a crowded beach – but my blood sugar is low and I'm starving from being awake and active for so long. :(

I'd intended to swim but for some inexplicable reason it seems too far away. It's hard to explain but the psychological adjustment can be quite intense sometimes and I knew darned fine I wasn't ready to integrate into busy environments. So I decide to sit on my scooter in the relative shade, rehydrate and eat my M&S sushi. Actually ... it's great ! :D

Moving on
I get straight back on the road (a huge benefit of not relying on buses or taxi lifts !) and head over to Platja Mitjorn instead.. and the Gecko Beach Club. Park up there leaving everything bar my camera and 20 Euros locked in the seat storage and wander round to take a look.

602463_380240915375900_1316897028_n.jpg

599882_380242822042376_106205949_n.jpg

541480_380242592042399_83949472_n.jpg

There's quite a stiff breeze blowing off the sea and the pool is in heavy use as a result. Some stereotypical Banker-Businessman types on holiday with the family in evidence, clearly keeping the beach bar waiters in their crisp whites busy. :lol:. Prices are similar to Sands / Nassau etc. but I'm up for a fruit smoothie vitamin shot and find an empty table round the corner from the pool in the sunshine, light a cigarette and wait... and wait... and decide I can't be bothered to wait any longer or find a waiter – the sea is steps away now and I'd rather be in it or right beside it than sat here.

A wooden bridge takes you to a path which runs right along Platja Mitjorn – a very long narrow beach with outcrops of rocks breaking it up here and there.

396132_380241328709192_1727409577_n.jpg

I explore a little and then find a rocky area which is right on the water's edge forming tiny low-lying coves backing a tiny margin of sand and seagrass not too far from the Beach Club bridge and before the main stretch of sand nearby. There's a handful of people spread around, almost undiscernable, some of whom can just about be made out as naked and some who were not. The water's a step away so there's no long walks to the sea. 8)

179975_380272615372730_9357132_n.jpg

Letting it all go

Decided this'll do and as I didn't have a towel (another thing forgotten in the rush for the ferry !) use my shirt and shorts as a pillow for a much-needed doze. It's bliss. Come round, stow my stuff, have a swim and a smoke and get used to the carefree feeling which gradually takes you over when you shed your clothes outdoors :). People are very respectful of each other here today and keeping themselves to themselves – there's no sense of self-consciousness or awkwardness from anyone – clothed or not. 8)

The only uncomfortable interlude is actually from a middle-aged woman in a kaftan/top with a zoom-lens camera walking along the beach trying to pretend she was taking photos of the scenery :lol: .. but I spot her sneakily taking some close-up shots of as many people as she could further along the main beach without (she thought) getting noticed :x. As she approaches the spot where I am I decide to stand up, face her full on and engage eye contact, with the intention of telling her (if she came any closer) it's good manners to ask permission before taking close-up shots of naked people (or anyone in fact) enjoying their time and freedom.

She didn't. It was clearly one thing for her wandering around with a lens but I think faced with the humanity of it up close ‘in the flesh', she turned quickly and self-consciously around and hot-footed it in the opposite direction. Or maybe I was just being a little paranoid. :lol:

I didn't see her again ! In the encounter I've also fully adjusted my mindset and any last remaining barriers brought about by spending most of my life clothed in public have collapsed.

I stay swimming and relaxing for long enough to totally unwind and am reminded of one of the big benefits of naturism – you don't have to walk or ride away in damp trunks afterwards ! It actually makes perfect sense. ;)

Gecko is much as I left it as I walk back to the car, but I am transformed 8). The sun is still very intense and as I don't have suncream I decide to wear my t-shirt on the bike. The combination of the wind blast and high UV can lead you to burn very quickly.

One more stop

There's time for one more stop. I decide to skip the southern and eastern tips this time and to take a drive through Sant Ferran de ses Roques and Es Pujols to ses Illetes. The long dusty road to the restaurant at the end of the track is a reminder why having sunglasses (which I don't :() is a benefit on the bike .. you don't get an eyeful of dust from the cars in front ! ;)

It's packed at the restaurant and the closest stretch of beach beyond it on this narrowing flat peninsula. There are a couple of large groups of Italians here already (thankfully not too many !) and without being unfairly stereotypical they really can ‘take over' an area of beach standing around talking loudly and posing in designer beachwear with picnic stuff, beach toys, portable radios etc. :rolleyes: ...

But it's a really long stretch of coast and it's well past the peak of the day so I know there will be plenty of space further away 8). All the boats are on your left as you walk Northwards towards the tip but there are none on your right (the Escull des Mermol / Platja de Levant side) and it's this side I like most :p. More and more the further along it you walk !

582112_380240242042634_106520500_n.jpg

320332_380240505375941_1977958191_n.jpg

The percentage of clothed as opposed to naked dropped from about 85% to 5% as I moved from the closest but one stretch of beach to the restaurant further and further away towards near the rocky point at the end, the clothed contingent being mainly people exploring the coastline rather than ‘settling down' for some beach time. A nice mix of couples (mainly Northern European, some Spanish), and families (almost exclusively Spanish) with a few single people here and there doing their own thing.

By now I'm far happier with my clothes off than on :eek: and find a deserted area of tiered rocks far along to myself. It's nice to find a naturist beach where there's no ‘gay sex' association (that I know of anyway !) .. it's all far too open and visible for any of that here and it means people don't look at you when you're on your own as a guy and think you're weird or there for something you're not.

Less privacy, for sure, but that becomes irrelevant after a while :!:
Again one minor incursion – when I was swimming some middle aged guy and his wife showed up – her in sexy swimwear – and he proceeded to take raunchy photos of her getting closer and closer to my stuff on the rocks with each shot :lol::lol::lol:. I wasn't bothered much with their antics but wasn't happy with their proximity to my bag and ended up cutting my swim short and go back over to my things (never can be too careful .. it's a long ride back on a scooter in the buff :oops: !).

In fairness, the shots he was taking would probably have been great .. (he took enough of them :eek: !). Suffice to say I wasn't exactly turned off by her (!) although managed to keep myself sufficiently south of the horizon to be decent (just !) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: !!! However, they seemed to get embarrassed when I came out of the water and walked over to my stuff just past them, and shuffled off somewhere else after a judicious spell of ‘not being seen to be scarpering' ;).

A moment of realization

Unusually for me at mixed beaches, I didn't bother to get dressed until I was nearly back at the restaurant :eek:. In the past I just wouldn't have been comfortable doing this – but there were a few other people doing the same at the time and there was almost a feeling of solidarity about it.

552359_380263352040323_1069437048_n.jpg

As I catch up with a group of them who were moving especially slowly, we exchange pleasantries and have a bit of a chat 8). I hadn't shut the world and other people out this time, I was fully engaging with both.

I'm not a ‘lifestyle naturist' by any stretch of the imagination (it's too flipping cold in UK anyway !), wasn't brought up that way and I don't seek out naturist holidays per se. However, Ibiza (and Formentera) are places where I just feel so comfortable and at home that I think I was able to ‘walk through another door' that day :eek:. It's taken me long enough .. I've gone naked in Ibiza for years but usually only in very isolated areas away from other people.

On the hike back with several other people doing the same in their own groups or pairs, it finally dawns on me that I would genuinely have no issues if I found myself spending a day in a nudist resort :eek::eek::eek:. Sounds silly maybe but there are degrees of what people can be comfortable with and there's a difference between nipping in for a quick swim or lying/sitting on a towel keeping yourself to yourself :)lol:) and being comfortable doing anything you would otherwise do naked in public without any sense of self-consciousness.

The feeling of being totally at home with who and what you are in your most natural state in front of anyone, clothed or not, felt almost an achievement and incredibly liberating :p – maybe in a way it was ... a shedding of the bonds of societal dictate and disregard for the expectation of compliance with its “rules”, in favour of a totally natural existence – into which were are all born after all. And why the h*ll not ?!! :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

So I've had a perfect first day, have never felt more relaxed and comfortable in myself and had some moments of self-realization for good measure. The heat's out of the sun now and I shove my t-shirt in under the seat this time. Riding the moped back in the early evening warmth with my shirt off and the wind on my face was nothing short of magical 8)8)8). Almost made me want to swap my hire car for a moped – but Ibiza is not Formentera on the driving front ... and the way I run my trips I need a large boot :!:

Pre-party's over and it's time for the main event !

Time to get back to my favourite island and get this show on the road ! Just miss the 7pm ferry after putting a Euro of fuel in the moped and dealing with the paperwork, so chill out in la Savina to wait for the last one at 8pm with a couple of ice cold beers to accompany the sandwiches I still have in my bag from M&S followed by a (chocolate) Magnum ! Looking round the Port, there's probably more serious money here today than in Ibiza – but all extremely low-key. It's all ... well ... very privileged ! But notwithstanding I still have 25Euros left in my pocket.

480022_380239362042722_1504301963_n.jpg

555960_380238518709473_2122318552_n.jpg

165979_380236765376315_718674820_n.jpg

Some of the same people on the ferry back were there on the way out earlier and I spend most of the trip inside in the air-conditioning 8). I'm no longer craving the sun. My parking is over 10Euros when I pay my ticket after docking :eek: – there are cheaper places to park, but I'd never have made the ferry at all if I hadn't parked where I did on those timescales.

Make contact with McRackin and Nostrum about a possible meet-up later and head into San Antoni. It's a beautiful night for a sunset, and the night after a full moon. Driving past my ‘last-minute' hotel (the Hotel Abrat in Es Calo d'es Moro, who know me of old !) the sun will be setting in about 10 minutes and I can't bear to check in right now.

So I carry on to Cala Gracio and park on the road instead. It's peaceful and a nice end to the day.

251865_380235658709759_1514225190_n.jpg

I make it finally to the Hotel Abrat after 10pm, via a detour to the Hostal La Torre nearby. There's a really beautiful view from there .. but the place is full of diners and I'm still out from a day at the beach (and the rest !!) so don't feel like staying long.

Night falls

The Hotel Abrat is another place which always feels like “coming home” 8). They're a great lot and I'm remembered as soon as I walk in. They really helped me through some problems during previous trips too. I'm given a large quiet garden-facing twin room with balcony on the best side of the hotel for the price of a single ... for 46Euros a night to be precise. Amazing value :eek: – almost feel guilty at my intentions not be spend much time in it !

After a quick shower and freshen up, it's off out again. I'm undecided about whether to go clubbing (still haven't really had any proper sleep !) but head into the West End for essential supplies.. large sandwich-roll for morning emergencies from Subway, vodka, red bulls, water and beers ! It's lively already but not excessively so.

I've got my eye on Sankeys (Viva Warriors Opening Party) as a possible night out and go to one of the club ticket outlets in the thick of it to check prices. It's normally 25 Euros in advance or on the door, but they do me a deal for 20Euros and at that I go ahead and buy one – mainly want to see Lawler who's playing from 3-5am and figure that's reasonable enough even if I only go for a couple of hours.

A quick glass of beer sees me on the road towards Playa d'en Bossa and my meet-up with Nostrum and McRackin (great to see you both again 8) !). After a Hierbas aperitif, McRackin and I haven't eaten and are absolutely starving ! We all head out to a heaving Picaro for some sushi .. eventually space enough clears for us all to sit down outside and we share some salmon and ‘Picaro' special sushi (delicious !). With drinks it works out 15-20Euros each. Nostrum is clearly working too hard and by a little gone 3am it's definitely time for him to get a good night's sleep ! ;)

I decide to head off to Sankeys, not expecting wonders... and I'm more than surprised how great it is :eek::eek::eek:. Steve Lawler plays a great set ‘till around 5am, it's absolutely rocking in the final hour. Kevin Saunderson takes over and it's absolutely going off till lights up, with a real sense of fun, love and unity on the floor. The atmosphere is super – mixed age crowd with oodles of energy from everyone.

Even the smoking terrace is exceptionally friendly and I wind up in funny random conversations with an ex-army guy in an unfeasible state of affable wastedness ... and a certain photographer :lol: ! Spotlight did a good review of the night here :
http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/reviews/2012/review_viva_warriors_opening_2012_i.htm

My body is in agony and I decide to skip the afters and head straight back to San Antoni .. at some point I have to have some sleep and now's probably as good a time as any. I have a post-clubbing swim at Es Calo d'es Moro just round the corner from the Hotel Abrat before turning in. It's a ritual which kind of washes off the night before and grounds me back into the outside world .. wet hair, a towel and swimshorts also make it look like I'm a healthy early riser :)lol:) rather than a debauched clubber :)oops:) when I run the gamut of reception at 8am !! It is to be the last time I see a bed this trip ! :eek::eek::eek:

Your review and pictures ( minus the nude bits lol) reminds me of summer days in Australia and that feeling of being on holiday.

Love reading alternative reviews from people doing different things. Love seeing the multi dimensional side of Ibiza most people miss when they think of the island.

Great review as always :)

I presume you're just teasing us with the last line and are going to complete the story? :eek:

Most excellent day 1!!!

Reading reviews makes the excitement and anticipation for my trip even higher.

I only hope I can drive myself as hard as you do!

Muy Bien8)

For me one of Formenteras best vistas is sunset at La Mola Lighthouse. Not sure if you have already done it but if you ever get the chance.....do

You wont be dissapointed8)

FYI There is a return boat trip from San An to Formentera 10.30am every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Returns at 5pm. Fare is 37 return. They even let you return the following day if you like

8) .. it's all gradually coming back to me !

I presume you're just teasing us with the last line and are going to complete the story? :eek:

Might do ... :lol: Yes I'll do my best to write the rest soon .. in the middle of moving into a new place this week over a number of car trips (doing my head in !) so it's getting written during breaks from box packing, car loading, arranging mail redirections and other such inspiring endeavours :rolleyes:

Fantastic read mate.. really put me in the mood for our formentera trip.. were staying on playa mighorn just down the road from gecko. We did a day trip a few years ago but it seemed a crime coming home on the last ferry so we do a few days now.. we where trollied down the blue bar watching the alien landing and nearly missed it..

Great review.. 8)

Great review.

Although it's put me right off doing my bog standard review from last week..

"went xxxx on thurs night, it was great music, great set by xxx... blah blah blah"

:lol:

It's a ritual which kind of washes off the night before and grounds me back into the outside world .. wet hair, a towel and swimshorts also make it look like I'm a healthy early riser :)lol:) rather than a debauched clubber :)oops:) when I run the gamut of reception at 8am !! It is to be the last time I see a bed this trip ! :eek::eek::eek:

:lol::lol::lol: love the ritual... i know that feeling walking in around 8 or 9am... shameful! LOL

Great review so far and i really enjoy the pics! i definitely want to check out formentera... :)

Day 2 re-dawns

I've deliberately left the black-out curtains open to make sure I don't wind up surfacing at Sunset ;). It's a serious risk after 2 days and nights without any sleep to speak of :eek:. I've also no recollection of the 11.30am alarm I set going off (perhaps the rest of the coridoor does !) ... and it's after midday when I finally come round. :oops:

Despite feeling like I've been churned in a spin-dryer and spat out on the tiles :x, it's always very comforting to wake up in Ibiza. My laptop and phone are recharged and do my best to persuade myself that I am too. :confused:

I've a few bits of work that need seeing to :( (it's rare I can make a midweek trip without something having to be sorted at some point).. and the hotel room balcony with a fag and a long-life croissant makes a far nicer “home office” than any I've had in Britain and the wifi is working great 8)8)! The large filled roll from Subway I ate after swimming this morning has stopped me from waking up with low blood sugar, and once the shock of resurfacing subsides I'm able to do my bits and bobs without feeling too much pain.

It's nearly 2.00pm by the time I'm done and showered before facing the building heat of the day. My car's still parked round the corner on the street near Es Calo d'es Moro .. the hotel is far busier than this time last year (San An is generally) and I never managed to get a space in the small car park in front of the entrance this trip. :eek:

Finally out and about

I've still no plans yet ... pick up a map and decide to mix things up a bit from my usual haunts. I'll head to the North East and see where things take me. It's blisteringly hot. Heading out towards the Ronda, pull over to give a guy who's thumbing a lift and looking pretty ropey a ride. He's only going to the Egg but looks lost. It's hardly much of a detour for me and I know how much of a struggle even that sort of a walk can be when you're in a mess in that heat :x.

I'm actually quite shaky myself :confused: .. and my mind's totally blank already as to the places I was going to check out and things I was thinking of doing. My scribbled notes save the day ... Aigues Blanques is going to be the first stop. I really need to get cash for the day and later but can't face going in to Santa Eularia. It's a sleepy side-road in Sant Carles de Peralta before I'm able to pull over and hit an ATM. I'm now getting starving but can't hack trying to find somewhere for a sandwich and don't want to lose beach time sitting in a restaurant so press on.

In the most unkilely of places, off the road leading towards the Aigues Blanques turn-off is a little tiny ‘SPAR' sign pointing to a little ‘casa' set back from the road along a dirt track ! Blow me down if it's not a mini-mart all the way out here :eek:. When I go in, I'm instantly aware I'm in another world here. Two ageing French hippies who've arrived in a beaten-up car, carrying about them a ‘herbal air' (;)) are paying for a bottle of water and a cake bar each with handfuls of 1 cent pieces :lol:. They're probably still unaware of the world of Beach Clubs and snazzy bars which exists but a half-hour drive away.

I take a leaf out of their experienced book on the water and cake bar front .. and add in a banana for good measure – for a bit of energy. There are no prepared sandwiches or the like, but this will do for now. 8)

The dusty car park at Aigues Blanques is 3Euros a day. Much like most other pay-parks at the more rural beaches. There's quite a lot of ‘Basque' beach style here if that makes sense .. women with tattoos, dreadlocked hair, dhoti/pareos, unfeasible tans and the like. It's very different to the tourist resorts. So my khaki/grey beach shorts fit in very well ! To be safe, I bury the car key in a deserted place far from the car today ;) and decide to risk taking my snorkel gear/bag again .. after yesterday, decide I can do without a towel. It gets to the point on your own where you'd rather just be shot of all material “things” to have to consider :evil:. 20 Euros, my fags and camera (almost left it too) and that's it.

Beautiful Aigues Blanques

As soon as you hit the coast, it's just awesome :p.

314041_380542672012391_488896564_n.jpg

I forgot to take any more pictures – was too busy enjoying the place for the rest of the afternoon :twisted:. Turned left at the start of the beach and walked far into the rocks to the North of the beach. It's really beautiful here and very wild with high cliffs behind.

The beach itself is at least 50% naturist – and the whole place is very relaxed 8). A pocket of seemingly single gay guys have clustered in a small area of beach not far away but other than checking out all the ‘talent' walking by they're not doing anything untoward to worry anyone. Again there's an atmosphere of mutual tolerance here 8)8)8).

A couple of people are taking mud from the natural outlets at the back of the beach and giving themselves a full-body mud pack :lol:. It does seem a strange thing to do – ( that mud gets everywhere ! ) but I've had a half-hearted go with it before and guess you need to be in the right frame of mind. :confused:

I keep going and actually start bouldering a little as the terrain gets more and more enticing :p. Really glad I had my flip flops as the rocks are very rough in places :eek:. I find a spot backed by a bank of Oleander growing wild on the slope in full bloom and decide things can't get much better. Natural rock pools fed by tidal surge separate me from the sea and submerged rocks surface in the bay to create miniature islands. It's paradise – and I'm once again communing with nature in every way ! :twisted:

No-one else is around, but I'm determined to get in that water and have a proper snorkel so bury my clothes and bag just in case. The water is really warm here 8). Balmy currents surge past you as you swim and the water's crystal clear. Chuck my fins, mask and snorkel onto one of the rock ‘islands' that's reasonably smooth and pull myself up onto it. It's not very comfortable to sit without a swimsuit, but there's a warm breeze blowing which dries you off really fast and it feels really great standing looking out along the beautiful coast at all the people clustered on the beach. :)

With my fins, I decide to take a swim out into deeper water and do some breath-hold diving. Some huge fish here. As I surface to the sunshine above, my heart is full of peace and I'm as happy as I've ever been 8)8)8). Do realize I shouldn't do this alone but there was too much churn in Formentera, the current is very manageable and I haven't been freediving properly for ages as never anyone there to do it with !

Aigues Blanques gets shady in the late afternoon, so I know there's a cap on how much time I can spend here :(, so swim back and clamber over the rock pools to my ‘spot' to get my “natural blow-dry” from the sea breeze.

Time to move on

As I'm climbing back towards the path leading from the beach, I come across a mud source concealed in the cliff. I doubt this source has been used by many people :twisted:.

375737_380544598678865_259921922_n.jpg

For some reason it just seems ‘right' now and I spontaneously give myself a full body mud pack :eek:. There are tiny rock particles in it which must be rather like a sort of natural exfoliator. The sea breeze and remains of the sun dry it quickly and I hang around the rocks for a while feeling very ‘tribal' :lol::lol::lol:. Wish I'd made it out here earlier in the day ! The sun doesn't last though, and I decide to abandon everything I own on the nearest rock and jump in the sea to get clean. You'd need a jet-hose to get it off otherwise ! :eek::eek::eek:

Do I feel better for it ? Hard to say. If it's possible, I feel even more self-confident once I dry off :) ! The tan's really come on today and I no longer have a backside like a white-painted target on a rockface :eek: ! Walk the length of the beach with my bag before getting dressed again and heading up to the chiringuito for a cold beer – my first drink of the day :p. The steep walk back to the car is effortless. I feel really ... “well”. I've only had a banana and a muffin-cake before trekking down here and by now am getting pretty hungry.

There's still plenty of time before sunset so there's time to gradually wean myself back into civilization via some of the places on this side of the island I rarely get to 8). My attempts to arrange a late afternoon Horse Ride with North Ride Ibiza (thanks for texting me the number, McRackin – forgot to put it in my phone like an idiot !) were unfortunately too short notice to be successful.

So it's in the car again and away ... to the sounds of Remo's Kehakuma mix CD off the DJ mag to start getting me in the mood for later tonight :twisted::twisted::twisted:.

Back