_____ Fresh rumours about DJs switching clubs next year. Gonna be a fun 2012 _____

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_why

You never went to Kehakuma in August then?

Thought they only open one or two rooms for that though? Not to say that it wouldn't fill if they opened the whole club... and Im not sure... as I have never been.

In August both the Discoteca and Terraza were packed a lot of nights (esp for Jeff Mills). WetYourSelf (they are at Fabric on Sunday's) were in the Discoteca. Some of those nights must have had 4,000+ in Space.

Went to Kehakuma last on 08 Sep and was the sunset, Terraza and red box. As the spotlight review says - it was actually TOO rammed for a while.

Kehakuma most def is the "in" place to be with the local underground glitterati (if such a term exists lol). It's more another Circo Loco/DC10 and much more intertesting night that Cocoon these days IMO. Esp now Cocoon is going more House.

we were going to head over there... but we ended up going to Monza instead, which was superb. Maybe next year will see Kehakuma opening all of Space then? That would be interesting.

Reason we didn't go, is we had 2 Ibiza Virgins with us, and they were going to Space on Sunday, so wanted to save it until the whole club was open.

Definitely be checking it out next summer though.

Deary Deary me... 2011 Season isnt even over yet, and look at the state of you all!!

:rolleyes::lol:;)

Agreed, but there are certain djs we each want to see, and therefore a bit of tactical thinking is required so we know what days to head out for next season!!!!!!

Totally disagree with you on this, and I have been a huge critic of Pacha in the past. Cadenza with Luciano, Reboot, Carl Craig etc? Stale? Give me a break. Tong with Matthias Tanzmann, Guy Gerber, Laurent Garnier, Sasha etc. Friday's have been the best they have for years - better than when Tong used to host it.

Defected for me (though only been 3 times this year) is totally on the money if you are into that deep house sound. They are getting better and better and less commercial by the year IMO.

Saw Cadenza crew at Ushuaia opening and they were truly dull, uninspiring and "over" imho. Actually some of the worst stuff I've heard played in a club anywhere all year. Also playing really boring stuff I had to walk away from at Mambo preparties on two occasions. A friend saw Reboot at Fabric and wished he hadn't bothered. Luciano at free parties can be great but a Cadenza club night just doesn't do it for me, sorry - personal view : I think they've gone to pot.

Little more of inspiration with Defected for me this year (listened to showcases on the radio and went to preparties twice this year - heard nothing to tempt me to go to one of their nights even though I do agree the label is a bit better than it used to be, just isn't good enough to make a great club night). So on the whole have heard little from any of the labels which run nights at Pacha to really inspire.

Pacha is a nice club but I often end up in the funky room / upstairs so can't really see the point in paying those prices for that more than once every couple of years.. and I prefer clubs without significant VIP areas.

I agree Pacha Fridays probably had some better guests than they have for a while but you only get that at the end of the evening (if the pattern of commercial DJ - Tong - Guest still holds). However, would need to be better overall line-up across the night to tempt me to pay to go to Pacha on a Friday (as wouldn't stay downstairs for either the commercial DJs or for Tong .. and no disrespect but I couldn't spend an evening in the Global Room with Trevor Nelson at the helm).

I'm probably hard to please - it comes with many years of clubbing and I'm not saying all these nights won't still "do it" for people less fussy than I am. These are just my views - but big clubs in Ibiza are expensive and for that money you have a right to expect a really superb night, not just a good one - well, if it's my money we're talking about you do, anyhow !

The only 'big club' which has tempted me to go this year across a range of months and days of the week is Space. Have toyed with all the others but just felt they weren't offering enough for what they were, or were either too eclectic (e.g. Tonight, where even Sasha played one of his worst sets in an age in July) or big Trance nights (great for trance fans - which I was too some moons ago, so I'm not dissing here !!), the music at which I don't really enjoy any more - my tastes have just changed.

Revolution & Kehakuma nights both good (Revolution blindingly outstanding on two occasions), though even Kehakuma got a bit too rammed in the Terrace after a while. Plenty of smaller venues and DC-10, however, have been really really good and I feel deserve far more attention than they get. Probably wouldn't go back to Ushuaia, though.

It's not just the line-ups it's how the DJs deliver on a night and perform in a particular context/club that makes a night really great musically. I guess what I'm saying is that whilst I understand the draw of the superclubs - and love a great night at one - it's the intimate and often impromptu nights at smaller venues which are often both relaxed and of outstanding quality. These venues often host big-name DJs who also play the superclubs, and along with DC-10, are the true gems and 'big boys' of Ibiza for me. Would rather be at one of these in the early hours than at an expensive 'ok' night in a big club. I reckon if more people tried them they might be surprised at how good the alternatives can be..

There have been a few copy cats already but nothing will match manumission in its hey day.

Agree. Hopefully someone innovative might come along with something different but equally great.

Dont really agree la troya and matinee are both very busy nights every week, both being able to fill the club week after week

Interesting - glad these nights are still successful. Impressions and reality again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Little more of inspiration with Defected for me this year (listened to showcases on the radio and went to preparties twice this year - heard nothing to tempt me to go to one of their nights even though I do agree the label is a bit better than it used to be, just isn't good enough to make a great club night). So on the whole have heard little from any of the labels which run nights at Pacha to really inspire.

Pacha is a nice club but I often end up in the funky room / upstairs so can't really see the point in paying those prices for that more than once every couple of years.. and I prefer clubs without significant VIP areas.

Defected may be getting scratched off my plans for Saturday. It wasn't my choice anyway and with weighing up funding issues and my lack of love for Pacha you may have put the final nail in the coffin.

Defected may be getting scratched off my plans for Saturday. It wasn't my choice anyway and with weighing up funding issues and my lack of love for Pacha you may have put the final nail in the coffin.

I still think if you want a solid house music night, Defected is good. This is NOT a Hed Kandi event, and not like listening to a defected album (though even they are getting deeper these days).

Saturday (minus Zoo / SNP) is a non-night in Ibiza, so this is the best for me if you want a good relaxed night.

Ibiza needs something massive to shake things up and breathe new life into the stale club scene on the Island.

Because let's be honest here - it's nowhere near as good as it was even 5 years ago...

Lot's of great nights gone and replaced by commercial sh*t, overpriced miami style pool parties, crap music etc

The only clubs I'll go to now are Space and DC10. I love Privilege and Amnesia but can't find any nights worth going to, and as for Pacha, Ushuaia etc... :lol:

Even up to a couple of years ago I felt I was spoilt for choice every night, but now there's so much filler and cheesy brands it's ridiculous.

Ibiza needs something massive to shake things up and breathe new life into the stale club scene on the Island.

Because let's be honest here - it's nowhere near as good as it was even 5 years ago...

Isn't that what Ushuaia was supposed to do? :)

In terms of the 'it was better 5 years ago', you have to be careful with this. Everybody reaches an age and looks back when they were having the time of their lives - and thinks that was the best time.

My brother thinks 1995-2000 was the best time (as he was 20-25 then).

Sometimes it is us that changes. I meet groups of 18-21 year olds who are having their time NOW - they are like pigs in sh*t..... And I am sure in 5 years, they will look back and think 2011 was the best year ever as 2017 just isn't like it was in 2011 etc.......

Sometimes it is us that changes. I meet groups of 18-21 year olds who are having their time NOW - they are like pigs in sh*t..... And I am sure in 5 years, they will look back and think 2011 was the best year ever as 2017 just isn't like it was in 2011 etc.......

Exactly...

Right, I've said this before, Privelege needs a big weekly Trance night to give its soundsystem a run for its money (since Tiesto is playing more progressive/electro - we don't need to argue what genre he plays!!!!!!) .

We've seen the Godskitchen Boombox for a couple of weeks + a 4 week Gatecrasher residency. So I was wondering what about Ferry Corsten moving from Sankeys and possibly maybe the likes of a few others e.g. Dash Berlin, Richard Durand, Paul Okenfold (whether you like him or not) to host a large Trance night.
As there are only really three others, so there must be space for a fourth!!!!!

Isn't that what Ushuaia was supposed to do? :)

Such a shame it's taken that direction .. cheap, tacky, plastic, posey glitz without the semblance of relative understatement which Pacha (just about) retains does not make a happy me ! But hey ho, rich clubbers wanting place to go to be seen probably like it as a venue to spend lots of money in. It's only Never Say Never that tempted me as a party there though.

Anyhow, not spending all one's time in Ibiza clubbing every night and getting out a bit more is a good thing as there's so much more to the island. It also means tourist money is spread around the population a bit more - and that's definitely more of a good thing for Ibiza than the arrival of Ushuaia !!!

On the positive side, the beach club scene has improved with masses more choice than a few years ago - Amante, Yemanja, Sands, La Plague, PK2 etc still good with some really good vibes on occasion. Grial, Aura, Itaca, Underground and the like have also been excellent this year. 8)

A few more beach parties wouldn't go amiss though - would happily trade in a week of nights in the superclubs for one Portinatx beach party :).

Such a shame it's taken that direction .. cheap, tacky, plastic, posey glitz without the semblance of relative understatement which Pacha (just about) retains does not make a happy me ! But hey ho, rich clubbers wanting place to go to be seen probably like it as a venue to spend lots of money in. It's only Never Say Never that tempted me as a party there though.

Exactly, Ushuaia taking over Fiesta PDB has had disastrous results - a great hotel and beach club gone to make way for a pretentious Miami WMC style hotel.

Sasha was the only night to tempt me to go there too, but I never bothered in the end.

Privilege lost it way as soon as manumission left - no other party / event will ever fill that place like they did. Its to big to fill and when they close off the rooms to make it feel smaller it just fills wrong.

Manumission lost also their way when they left privilege.

But privilege and manumission will always be the stuff of legends

Spot on
8)

This is bang on the money

When i was there this week someone who was going to the Tiesto closing party said the reps told them it was his last night ever at Privilige!

When i was there this week someone who was going to the Tiesto closing party said the reps told them it was his last night ever at Privilige!

This is one night I've not been to it years. This Tiesto thing is interesting. To anyone that has been this year, what are the numbers like? Is he any good? Is he bored?

I still think that Tiesto / Eric Prydz @ Amnesia could work on a Tuesday.

Didn't Tiesto fill in for Prydz one Tuesday at Amnesia this year when he was unwell?

Well gutted I missed out on the Manumission @ Privilege years.

My brother went in 1999 and then onto the Carry On @ Space.

Privilege definitely needs something though. It boasts about being the worlds biggest club but it wouldn't live upto my expectation if I was a newbie to Ibiza.

Back