2018 World Cup

Suarez done it against Ghana at the 2010 world cup and got sent off. . . That was right on the line but still, deliberate is deliberate. The rule needs to be sorted better

Suarez was the last player opposing the ball, the rule is clear . red.
But the rule was changed to yellow instead of "the triple punishment"

So a deliberate hand ball as the last player = red, but a deliberate hand ball anywhere else = no booking. Bizarre. Either it's deliberate and punishable, or it's a mistake and not, surely?

Got detention in school because I argued with a prick of a PE teacher who waved away a penalty appeal because it was "accidental hand ball" on the line. I argued that it should still have been a penalty, as it prevented a goal scoring opportunity. The fact it was accidental surely just means the player goes unpunished? I'll take it all back if you tell me otherwise. Still shouldn't have got a detention for it though.

"We are the champions" now on national Tv with French President ,French team and kids at Elysées :cool:
My soundtrack
Vive la republique et vive la FRANCE!!!

Great world cup. My favourite since 1990! Congratulations France! Everyone expected a really miserable, corrupt, violent tournament but it actually offered welcome respite from all the recent real life news.
:lol:
Who's "everyone". That's not what most of the world was expecting. Only some people from the West!
(I would include my countrymen in that, but then again Americans actually bought more tickets than anyone!)

Got to say the Final was a blast. Croatian fans brought the atmosphere although there were plenty of French as well.
Also, thankfully, less Croatians' beer flying when they scored goals this time unlike in the semi against England! (Ms Morbyd was not impressed)
People were partying all night long in the center of town. Really lovely scenes. Some Russian girl (thinking I was a visitor) just walked up and kissed me :lol: (again, Ms Morbyd was not impressed!)

I wish it could be like this all the time. Russia showed the best side of itself, the side expats like me know is there but wish was more visible to the outside world.
Now we all go back to Putin, Trump, blah, blah, blah.

But at least we'll have the memories. Great tournament on and off the pitch.

Granted Morbyd but it wasn’t completely irrational to fear the worst when Russian thugs in forests were boasting on the BBC about how they were in the mood for Marseille part 2 and also amidst a diplomatic furore over people getting killed by Russian nerve gas in small English towns! Not the ideal build up perhaps..

Granted Morbyd but it wasn’t completely irrational to fear the worst when Russian thugs in forests were boasting on the BBC about how they were in the mood for Marseille part 2 and also amidst a diplomatic furore over people getting killed by Russian nerve gas in small English towns! Not the ideal build up perhaps..
Yes, all true. But the British press in particular went looking for those thug stories. Understandable after Marseilles, of course. It was frustrating to read/see when you knew enough to know for sure the police would shut that crap down.
My friend Shaun Walker summed it up really well in the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ld-cup-finally-change-how-russia-is-portrayed

On a separate note, lovely World Cup footnote today re: Mbappe who, by the way, was a joy to watch whenever France took the field. Donating his World Cup pay to charity.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/france-apos-kylian-mbappe-donate-154428036.html

Tribute to eamon dunphy who.just retired from rte sports.. he make bbc lot look like mother Teresa and the hugging baba..

Ireland v Spain in the semi-final this Saturday in the women's hockey world cup... :)

_1-33c91716-3241-1030-8063-0019b9d5c8df.jpg
I was always a fan of the Dutch team..:oops:

Back