2018 World Cup

Reasons I wont be going:

A. I get all the disappointment I could ever need from Everton, thanks
B. The England brass band.
C. The fake hooligans....'lads' in their 40s wearing their uniform gear, telling war stories, acting hard for a few weeks before they return home. Usually from two distinct categories.... Middle class, well educated with good jobs, who should know better, or guys whose families are probably doing without so that dad can go to the game
D. I suspect the only way travelling fans will be safe from the ultras is to stay in hotel, go to game, then go straight back to hotel. Not much fun

Exactly all this. Especially A.

D. I suspect the only way travelling fans will be safe from the ultras is to stay in hotel, go to game, then go straight back to hotel. Not much fun
Funny. These days on Facebook I'm seeing reminders of things I posted 4 years ago when I went to the Olympics in Sochi. This was right around the time US-Russia relations started spiraling downward (albeit before the whole Ukraine mess). On the last of my 4 days there, I managed to make it to the US hospitality center and picked up a few things at the store. As soon as I walked back out into the Olympic Park with some American-branded gear on, I had every Russian under the sun coming up to say hello and take a photo with me.

Moral of the story is that Russians really take pride in events like this and all the other b.s. falls by the wayside. I think visiting fans will be treated like royalty. It was certainly that way last summer at the Confederations Cup (although, granted, attitudes toward Portuguese, Mexicans, Cameroonians and Germans are a lot different than towards Brits!). Also, the police will lock that hooligan crap down.

Funny. These days on Facebook I'm seeing reminders of things I posted 4 years ago when I went to the Olympics in Sochi. This was right around the time US-Russia relations started spiraling downward (albeit before the whole Ukraine mess). On the last of my 4 days there, I managed to make it to the US hospitality center and picked up a few things at the store. As soon as I walked back out into the Olympic Park with some American-branded gear on, I had every Russian under the sun coming up to say hello and take a photo with me.

Moral of the story is that Russians really take pride in events like this and all the other b.s. falls by the wayside. I think visiting fans will be treated like royalty. It was certainly that way last summer at the Confederations Cup (although, granted, attitudes toward Portuguese, Mexicans, Cameroonians and Germans are a lot different than towards Brits!). Also, the police will lock that hooligan crap down.
I know nothing about Russia so defer to you on those points Morbyd.

Having been to a few Scotland games with a mate, believe me if Scotland had qualified I'd go.

But I've been following football in England for 30 odd years...long enough to know that being 'English' at football tournaments isn't for me

the whole thing will be horrendous on every level. soulless, corporate, machine teams on the pitch and chaos, racism and violence off the pitch. as far removed from o jogo bonito as it can get.

the world cup had a place in the past when different countries were exotic to each other, when fewer players were in foreign leagues and before big money changed it. But now the stench of corruption is everywhere, players are over-familiar and for most fans, it's just an excuse to let off nationalistic steam (often in a very ugly way)

I do love the Iceland and African fans though. probably the only saving grace.

Curious to know whether they like them more or less?
I think more :lol:

I know nothing about Russia so defer to you on those points Morbyd.

Having been to a few Scotland games with a mate, believe me if Scotland had qualified I'd go.

But I've been following football in England for 30 odd years...long enough to know that being 'English' at football tournaments isn't for me
I remember at the World Cup in South Africa when I went to the England v Germany match in Bloemfontein and all the England fans were singing songs about bombing Germany in WWII and running around with inflatable RAF airplanes. I'd come to the game to support England (I think I saw the US get knocked out the night before vs Ghana in Rustemberg) but I was truly embarrassed for them and not so sad when they were beaten (despite my outrage over the good Mr Lampard's uncounted goal!). I love England, and several of the players (even if they perennially disappoint) but the fans sometimes...

Just to follow up on my point above, this article came out today by a Moscow-based British journalist who's written a book about Russian football (I don't know him but he's a friend of several friends of mine)

The Kremlin Won't Tolerate Hooligans at Its World Cup (Op-ed)
https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/the-kremlin-wont-tolerate-russian-hooligans-60431

I gotta say, Chilean fans are my favorites. Saw them in Brazil and at the Confed Cup here and they are always joyous.
I actually went to Chile for New Year '17 in part because I'd so enjoyed being around them in Rio in '14.

I agree with that Marc Bennetts article that the Russian government won't want any trouble. Certain sites will be swarming with cops. However, even if 'official' ultras are kept under tabs who's to say how other Russians will react when the English start smashing up their bars or leering at their girls as per usual? That's where things could get nasty, especially if some English want 'revenge' for being humiliated last time.

I agree with that Marc Bennetts article that the Russian government won't want any trouble. Certain sites will be swarming with cops. However, even if 'official' ultras are kept under tabs who's to say how other Russians will react when the English start smashing up their bars or leering at their girls as per usual? That's where things could get nasty, especially if some English want 'revenge' for being humiliated last time.
I suppose you can't rule that out

All this to see England get out of the championship after 2 or 3 games :D
:lol: :lol:
So sad the USA didn't it make it this year. I really enjoyed pointing out that we finished ahead of England in the past 2 tournaments :lol:

So... when Spain has a match or other large island cohorts (talkin' to you England), does everything kind of shut down, or does the island ignore the tourney? Do I need to plan my meal times around this due to distracted cooks/waiters? I have never been to a {passionate} soccer country during a major tourney.

Basically, I will be there from 2nd/3rd date the 1st fixture of group matches, and fly out the morning of the final. I look forward to enjoying the atmosphere there, but I want to pick my moments.

Last edited:
So... when Spain has a match or other large island cohorts (talkin' to you England), does everything kind of shut down, or does the island ignore the tourney? Do I need to plan my meal times around this due to distracted cooks/waiters? I have never been to a {passionate} soccer country during a major tourney.

Basically, I will be there from 2nd/3rd date the 1st fixture of group matches, and fly out the morning of the final. I look forward to enjoying the atmosphere there, but I want to pick my moments.

Nothing shuts down mate

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/207040

Calling all football supporters who agree. Please sign. Times have moved on since the 70s/80s and it works abroad.

Ridiculous decision to over turn WBA application without a reason.

Especially when Shrewsbury who are most likely to be promoted and in the same league as WBA have a chance to make a safe standing area. And of course, it works in Scotland at Parkhead.

Nothing will close down but when I’ve been in Spainish countries when they have won comps the evenings are usually full of car horns and flags from windows. Enjoyable really.

Different atmosphere when England play at home :confused:

I'm firmly in the "love football, detest football fans" overlap in a Venn diagram. But I've got to say, I'm looking forward to the tourny.
I'd be happy seeing lots of goal and great football. The proverbial neutral.

That said, I hope Southgate looks to recent history and picks n' sticks with an inform keeper as no1 (Pickford)

I'm firmly in the "love football, detest football fans" overlap in a Venn diagram. But I've got to say, I'm looking forward to the tourny.
I'd be happy seeing lots of goal and great football. The proverbial neutral.

That said, I hope Southgate looks to recent history and picks n' sticks with an inform keeper as no1 (Pickford)
I avoid the pubs when Englands playing. Tend to be full of facepaint casuals who go out once every 4 years. The type of blokes who you get out for the boxing, the ones in the corner shadow boxing with a lager in their hand.

Germany for the win, England out in the last 16.

the whole thing will be horrendous on every level. soulless, corporate, machine teams on the pitch and chaos, racism and violence off the pitch. as far removed from o jogo bonito as it can get.

the world cup had a place in the past when different countries were exotic to each other, when fewer players were in foreign leagues and before big money changed it. But now the stench of corruption is everywhere, players are over-familiar and for most fans, it's just an excuse to let off nationalistic steam (often in a very ugly way)

What about the Denmark fans

Back