10 ways Ibiza will change in 2019

Post Modern Irony isn’t for all.
the article you posted said 375K people was the record # of people at one time on Ibiza and Formentera. not close to 1mm and more in line with what makes sense to me.

I had said 800K people at one time on Ibiza was hard to believe and turns out the all time record # is less than half of that.

Subtract Formentera and look at the average daily summer # its probable more like 200-250K max on the island in the summer outside of August.
i actually think there are closer to 5 million

Ibiza has three main groups of tourists, those that like the old hippy vibe, those that like the clubbing and those who just want a beach holiday and pick whatever island/resort takes their fancy on the holiday website.

And important to note not everyone sticks to those groups,

I'm glad you added that last line there haha. I was going to be the first one to say I like to fall into all 3 of those categories.

MM's comment about 'spontaneity' got me thinking. Years ago I read this very silly but entertaining book called "Are You Experienced?" by William Sutcliffe which is set in the Far East but holds quite a few universal truths, getting to the root of what defines a tourist v traveller and all the hilarious snobbery that goes with it. The tourist plans everything to micro-detail, everything is organised, everything is risk-averse and every aspect of your holiday is designed to ensure you are permanently surrounded by identical people to yourself. The traveller also plans everything to micro-detail but in a way to make it look as though everything is spontaneous, authentic and dangerous. I'm not entirely sure where I stand there - but I think the people I admire the most are people who genuinely turn up somewhere without any research and get out of the holiday ghetto and really make the most of their trip with entertaining tales at the end. Two pals booked flights last summer to visit me in Barcelona and then spent the next week travelling to Carcassonne, Ibiza and eventually Bilbao without any idea of where they would stay and they had a blast with only a few snaps and that's it. imo that pisses on your cyber-forests of pre-orchestrated insta-narcissism.

Also an important thing to remember is how much £££ each group actually brings in overall

Sure the stats may show far more non clubbers on the island, but it would be interesting to see how much money a mum/dad + 2 kids spends in 7days compared to a room of 4 clubbers .

Well, the room of 4 clubbers on a long weekend probably gets through about 450 Euros a day on coke and pills / MD contributing not-a-lot to the local economy apart from the round of beers at the bar their dealer drops to (if they don't have a delivery). They might indirectly be helping some landlord get rich renting out a hovel to the guy or girl who sets it up and takes a cut for 3 times more than it's worth out of season. Taxi / pirate taxi men are happy and so are the big clubs. Anyone else making any serious money out of them ?

^^

giphy.gif

Other than party favors I don’t see a big difference between clubbers and families. Everyone needs a place to sleep, food to eat, and activities to do.

Yeah I’m sure some clubbers live on beer and olives all week, but there are poor families as well.

I consider myself a clubber and I guarantee I’m spending more than any family.

Be interesting to know a percentage?

Every family I talk to, so that makes it 100%. ;) I'm not just talking about Ibiza btw - I'm talking about anywhere in the Med. Can't remember the last time I talked to anyone who takes a family away that actually leaves the hotel while on holiday. :eek: Convenience/cheapness.

When it was 80-90% of AI in Portinatx 5 years ago, it's 20-30% now...
From All inclusive to adults only...

Every family I talk to, so that makes it 100%. ;) I'm not just talking about Ibiza btw - I'm talking about anywhere in the Med. Can't remember the last time I talked to anyone who takes a family away that actually leaves the hotel while on holiday. :eek: Convenience/cheapness.
I ain’t gonna lie Jon, we used to do it. I would get out and about though, and spend money additionally elsewhere. My two are 19 and 17 now, so although still a family we are four adults (in fact the eldest did her own hols this year). We haven’t done AI since 2012 and much prefer SC now. It may be less than you think, and some will venture out of the confines of the AI.

Edit - when I say SC, I mean predominantly eating out.

Last edited:
Back