Women in dance music...discuss!

it speaks volumes that quite a few black people lined up on that thread to say they had no problem whatsoever with his alter ego (which incidentally is based on a perfectly legitimate Spanish word)

It never sat right with me that he called himself Jakatta, when quite evidently he is not an Indonesian city

it speaks volumes that quite a few black people lined up on that thread to say they had no problem whatsoever with his alter ego (which incidentally is based on a perfectly legitimate Spanish word)

but this is the age of puritanical hysteria and blind groupthink

if 'cultural appropriation' is the next big target than god help Wu Tang Clan..

There was a vid on FB of a black woman Irish dancing. She was having accusations of cultural appropriation thrown at her... then I think people settled down when they realised she was actually quite good. You know me, I get up in arms about social justice stuff sometimes, but there's a lot of it that is beyond silly.

I totally empathise with say black producers whose music was stolen and ripped off and not credited (a common theme through the decades) - you only have to read the story of how pioneering Chicago House producers were paid zilch by TRAX.

but I think that is a world away from what is happening now and the PR-driven sensitivity of people who take themselves far too seriously

There was a vid on FB of a black woman Irish dancing. She was having accusations of cultural appropriation thrown at her... then I think people settled down when they realised she was actually quite good. You know me, I get up in arms about social justice stuff sometimes, but there's a lot of it that is beyond silly.
She's Good..

Gioli and Assia have been fairly active with streams and youtube sets this year.

Anybody know if they ever played Ibiza? I know Giorgia Angiuli, another "live" Italian female artist played Heart at the beginning of the 2019 season.

Not surprised - a good while back I was travelling with someone who had a residency in Magaluf & Ibiza midweek and flew between them, I Went one week just after a radio 1 or 1xtra weekend in Magaluf and was chatting to one of the staff who said he was a nightmare and constantly needed a chaperone during BBC events

It's so important that Annabel Ross has again spoken out about this. Especially after being subject to a number of attempts of intimidation to not speak out.
Edit
The only positive from Carl Craig's ultimatum of 'its me or her' to Movement is that at least its again highlighted the scale of this issue and brought it to the forefront.

Last edited:
I agree Nicky. The article depressed the hell out of me tbh. when people I really revere as intelligent voices in dance music turn out to be bullying arseholes. Carl Craig and Omar S are musical gods to me and I'm trying to work out if the solidarity with DM is reflex black brotherhood born out of shared adversity OR if it's more cynically a case of them simply not giving a shit about women? I think it's difficult for people who have championed Detroit techno since the early Cybotron days because the cultural impact was so huge. But what value does any of it have if these people are just arseholes?

I only became aware of these allegations the other week. Think they first came about a few years ago, so things really aren't getting reported enough. (Although I do get repeating false allegations has serious consequences too)

Was also reading he's been cut out of a lot of the line ups that he'd usually be on, so hopefully the tide is shifting.
Unfortunately there is a massively long way to go before the tide has even begun to shift.

That sort of cancel culture doesn't address the issue, it just brushes it under the carpet.
People need to speak out about the reasons why artists are being cut out, although i understand why this isn't done and the potential implications of doing it.

Things won't move on until people speak out and take a stance.

Back