winter gossip..... winter gossip..... winter gossip..... ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.
this might be a bit out of context but what is the latest on the extension of the promenade round in front of the sunset strip? Id be really interested to know whats gonna happen.

x

McRackin said:
McRackin said:
:arrow: as you might remember, last summer nación tierra in sa penya turned into honey and even opened with that name a few weeks this winter as an after-hours. well, the bar is now nación tierra again :!:
erm, it changed of name again. yesterday when i passed in front i noticed that they removed "nación tierra" off their sign.....

20qjcpw.jpg

..... and when i passed today i saw the new name: bar pocholo ibiza 06!! :eek:

20qjd36.jpg

pocholo, which is famous thanks to his uncle who married the daughter of the fascist dictator franco, is doing this summer a weekly tv program for the channel la sexta called "pocholo ibiza 06" with appearances from some of his friends, like sebastian kato hernandez (what's up?), johnny golden (manumission) or tanit.....
as the season is over and the annoying pocholo has closed the bar already, the bar was for rent (till march)..... instead of the hippies who rented it last winter to open it as an after-hours (and, at the same time, used it as their house ! ! ) this time josé from dôme/solo bar will be running the bar :!:
well, part of it. as some of you might know, pocholo actually joined two bars: nación tierra and el horno (which he was using as a shop)..... el horno opens next friday :!:

2004662749893001942_rs.jpg

McRackin said:
end of june and.....

McRackin said:
:arrow: what used to be nordkapp (the scandinavian bar in the west end opposite strikers), which was for rent last winter and remained closed this summer, is being reformed and will be open soon. expect a south american flavour as its being run by the people behind azucar (the salsa/latin club in cala de bou next to the restaurant boucala)!! :idea:

http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showpost.php?p=919592
..... apparently not opening.....
as some of you will remember, it remained closed for second year. they are working on it again so maybe it will reopen one day :!:

:idea: --->
2mrgrao.jpg

copyright.gif
pbase

:arrow: space are changing the ceiling of the terrace because its not as good as it was supposed to be (they had some problems when it rained, etc). these and other less important works should be finished before the end of the year. btw, according to the latest rumours the club might open for a one off during the winter although nobody confirms if it will be on january 1st :!:
according to the latest rumours, next summer space will open as an afterhours only on weekends. too much work for not much money could be one of the reasons.....

(related thread)

1cd0a0e9-b6e3-41dc-914d-43ed0b481ad3.jpg

copyright.gif
dontstayin

a bit dodgy calling it a club aint it ?? isnt everythinng in spain called a club a brothel, hence why them cakk them discos ?
its more like..... all brothel in spain is also known as a club (not everything called a club is a brothel)!! :lol:
from the ibiza sun:

Ibiza's Out Of Touch.

It can only be a matter of time before a letter lands on your desk, as editor of The Ibiza Sun, along the following lines:

"Dear Mr Editor,
Have been here on hols for a few days and having a great time. Only thing is we keep hearing about these great Disco's you have here and we don't know what they are. Please can you explain to us what a Disco is?
Yours
Johnny and Jilly Tourist, aged 20 and 21.
PS The clubs are great - especially that Amnesia place!"

Am I just being pedantic? Well considering that once again over the last few weeks I have been reading in the Ibiza Sun that the summer has not been great for everyone maybe there is more to this than first meets the eye. Consider the following points:

You can now find bars and clubs open all hours in the UK - so coming to Ibiza is no longer unique or "exciting" in this respect, and yet the authorities are trying to cut back the opening hours here.

Many of the bars and clubs in San Antonio have not been refurbished for years leaving a collection of outdated 70's style bars that are attractive to no one. Bars here that resemble typical town centre bars back in the UK always seem busy and to be doing well. (Hush and Eden Rooms being the obvious examples)

Year on year the cost of drinks in the bars and clubs here goes up. In the last few years in the UK prices have gone down - leaving many people thinking Ibiza is very expensive and not prepared to consider returning

The big clubs charge anything up to 60 plus Euros to get in - a lot of money for all but a few people. Back in the UK it is getting increasingly rare for a club to charge to get in - and even when they do the admission price is rarely more than 3 to 5 pounds.

False two for one offers, happy hours and offers of free shots are widely touted here by PR's in order too entice people into bars. Whilst not illegal in the UK these types of promotion have been discouraged for several years by licensing authorities in the UK and shunned by bar managers in favour of good prices and genuine offers which will always draw in customers.

So whilst it may be pedantic to criticize the use of a word like "disco" that no one in the UK under the age of 50 has used for at least 30 years, it does highlight a serious problem which surely does contribute to the poor summer recently experienced.

The problem is that in many ways the island is both out of touch and out of date with what is going on in the UK. The wide use of a word that has dropped out of the dictionary back in the UK merely highlights this problem.

I cannot help wondering that rather than spending large sums of money on promotional activities and attending trade fairs that it might be a better idea for the tourist authorities to get together a selection of bar owners, managers and others and fly them to the UK for a weekend out on the town in order to demonstrate to them how far out of date they are and what they should be doing.

Yours faithfully, A

Hi A, Thanks for the comments & we agree with lots of your sentiments but to clarify & to be fair to the paper let us put the record straight over the term "Disco" We use the term disco in the paper to refer to the building, which the club nights you talk about are held in, as there are various club nights or promotions each week & they are held at a certain "Sala de fiesta or discoteque" to use the Spanish name for the building which roughly translated is "Disco" for short! Hence, though some of the team are over 50 we are using the term disco not because we are "out of date" as you imply but to not confuse the building with the actual promotional club nights. Also to call a licensed establishment a "Club" to many of our Spanish readers could imply it was a Brothel as this is the name used here for such establishments & we are sure the Discos or the club nights they promote in their premises wouldn't want this association. Yours The Ibiza Sun Team.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:arrow: the number of bars and restaurants in the lovely little village of santa gertrudis keeps growing..... the latest addition (nr 16 ! ! ) is called foodism :!:

2znzr0o.jpg

in terms of Disco's I think this...

DC10 is probably overhyped now, and most folk who visit it are there because they feel they should (ive been once, alas, in order that I wouldn't come back from Ibiza for a 4th time having missed it again). Superfreq and Pandemonium seemed to go down well as normal nights towards the end of the season (well annoyed I missed out).

Amnesia should learn from their embarrasing PR failure that was the fake La Troya. They could have had an alternative night on which appealed to those who weren't interested in La Troya.

Privilege should do more one-off events like the CircoLoco event in September. Their lineups were weak to say the least this year, and if a club that size isn't going to be busy, its a disaster! Something along the lines of the Warehouse Project in Manchester would probably go down well in a venue like that.

Eden should be levelled. I can't comment on Es Paradis as Ive never been. They should probably offer free health checks for punters leaving the water party though.

When I went to El Divino in 2004 it looked like it could do with a bit of a makeover, but I still had one of the best nights of my life ever in there, and its location is pretty much unbeatable. Good to see MN2S was a big success this year.

Pacha - as was unanimously agreed in the Yo****oshi thread, badly need to diversify their offer, but then they are raking it in so I suppose they will wonder why they should bother.

Interesting that Space will probably only open 22 hours at the weekend. Will this mean Bora Bora will be mobbed 24/7??

I hope the West End does continue to improve. I don't mind a few pints down there and I've had some great nights in Plastik and Hush. One of the reasons Ibiza isnt doing so well with young folk (in my opinion) is that dance music (with a few disgusting exceptions) has moved back into the underground. I think in terms of the music its a lot healthier, but obviously that means that Ibiza is gonna lose out on the money that came with its surge in popularity in the mid to late nineties.

Of course, I could be havering a load of ****e. :) :)

Privilege should do more one-off events like the CircoLoco event in September. Their lineups were weak to say the least this year, and if a club that size isn't going to be busy, its a disaster! Something along the lines of the Warehouse Project in Manchester would probably go down well in a venue like that.

Agreed!

:arrow: while the owners of penelope continue resolving their differences in the courts, the rumours about their interest in selling the club to demolish it and build new blocks of apartments keep growing :!:

penelope.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back