Why space is overrated

vinylgroover

Came back from my first jaunt in Ibiza. Amng the best 10 days of my life.....it was wicked.

One thing i did come back with though, was a feeling of disappointment at Space.

Here's why:

-Ridiculous pass out policy on Sunday's.
-the sound on the terrace was shithouse unless you were within a 3 metre radius of the DJ box.
-Bullshit 'no camera' policy. If it's good enough for the other clubs, why doesn't space allow camera's.
-Production and staging levels inside and on the terrace were uninspiring, lacked any creativity and did notadd to the atmosphere.
-The layout of the club inside and out needs a re-think....too many 'dead' spaces that make you feel like you're not involved.
-General attitude of the door staff was crap.

Don't get me wrong, i still had a wicked time in Space, but i expected more from all the hype i had heard. Pacha and Amnesia were both superior in my opinion.

agree with the door staff, but then only cause of all the horror stories i hear about the way some people are treated.

yet the occassions i've been to space, i havent had any attitude or problems with anyone. staff or otherwise.

i enjoy the terrace during the day. not so in the evening on account of it being so crowded. and i prefer to be inside come 10pm or so anyway.

maybe i've just been lucky thus far...

vinylgroover said:
Came back from my first jaunt in Ibiza. Amng the best 10 days of my life.....it was wicked.

One thing i did come back with though, was a feeling of disappointment at Space.

Here's why:

-Ridiculous pass out policy on Sunday's.
-the sound on the terrace was shithouse unless you were within a 3 metre radius of the DJ box.
-Bullshit 'no camera' policy. If it's good enough for the other clubs, why doesn't space allow camera's.
-Production and staging levels inside and on the terrace were uninspiring, lacked any creativity and did notadd to the atmosphere.
-The layout of the club inside and out needs a re-think....too many 'dead' spaces that make you feel like you're not involved.
-General attitude of the door staff was crap.

Don't get me wrong, i still had a wicked time in Space, but i expected more from all the hype i had heard. Pacha and Amnesia were both superior in my opinion.

Agree the pass out policy is crap.
Agree the terrace soundsystem only sounds good on the main dancefloor
Like it inside this year though.
Agree door staff were crap on the Manu carry on day but better on sundays imo.

Duiagree with you on everything but the camera point.

When I go to Space I don't care about "production." I care about the music and the crowd.

The sound sysytem inside is the best I've ever heard.

andre27 said:
Duiagree with you on everything but the camera point.

When I go to Space I don't care about "production." I care about the music and the crowd.

The sound sysytem inside is the best I've ever heard.

I never said the sound inside was shit.......only on the terrace. Point taken about production, however, when i pay 45 Euro's, i expect a bit more than a 2 watt laser and party lights......it's a small thing but it adds to the whole atmosphere in my opinion.

The 'No Camera' situation is a joke, I'll agree with that. On the soundsystem front though I would say from what I have personally heard that both Pacha and El Divino's sound is better, just my opinion. And I would say that the inside of Space could do with a re-think.

I found the sound system different both weeks I went, the first week was fine, the second was shit..

Hopefully they will have it pumping all the time next year

lynch said:
I found the sound system different both weeks I went, the first week was fine, the second was shit..

Hopefully they will have it pumping all the time next year

Yes, they set up different sound systems depending on the party.

I also think the inner room of Space has the best sound I've ever heard, not Pacha or El Divino. And opposite to some peeps on here, I like the layout.

In Pacha there are many places where the music bass resounds and the structure trembles making some awful noise. Have you tried to be behind the column and the palm tree just turning left when arriving at the main room?

Amnesia and Privilege also have the 'no camera' policy. Although I know there are many people who sneak their cameras into Amnesia.

As for the sound on the terrace of Space, the sound is lower now, but I find it very good even beyond 3 meters from the DJ booth as vinylgroover said. IMO is strong enough for me till the back stand and till a little closer to the booth than the tables in the middle of the terrace. However it's ridiculously low on the left edge.

I have been for 4 years on Ibiza, but only did visit Space 2 times. Don't know... wasn't as great as expected (and then I am only talking about the club itself, the partycrowd and DJs were good) and way too busy. I much more prefer Amnesia as a club.... dark, raw, great lightning and sound...

main dance area on the terrace is wickid, a real sense of togetherness..its like an ampitheatre

Michael24 said:
I have been for 4 years on Ibiza, but only did visit Space 2 times. Don't know... wasn't as great as expected (and then I am only talking about the club itself, the partycrowd and DJs were good) and way too busy. I much more prefer Amnesia as a club.... dark, raw, great lightning and sound...

Michael mate, you mean inner Space is not dark and without great light and sound systems?? It's true that inner Amnesia is amazing as for lights (I prefer much more its terrace though), but Space inside is real good too.

In fact Space and Amnesia are my favorite Ibiza clubs.

Would it not be the case that the terrace @ Space has to be lower sound-wise due to the fact that its not got a fixed roof - to keep in with the local laws regarding noise pollution?

As for no cameras - this is a crap policy but a lot of the other clubs do this too not just Space. Last year we got photos taken of us in El Divino, the girl showed us them (was a really good one of me & the missus) and handed us a card with the website details. Got home and just about every nights photos were on it apart from the one we went to :x

macdonsj said:
Would it not be the case that the terrace @ Space has to be lower sound-wise due to the fact that its not got a fixed roof - to keep in with the local laws regarding noise pollution?

Next year Space will have a transparent roof all over the terrace, as a friend who's working there told me. I guess then they will be able to raise the music level. However a bit of the club's magic will be lost. Something better and something worse.

Has anyone ever been on the terrace when they had the funktion one system thats used inside outside on there? As seen below..........

Dont know how they'd be allowed to do that :confused:

r9space.jpg

well thank god for various op´s - I think the place is overrated, and way too crowded. I liked the small terrasse outside the entrance though, but 7 Euros for a bottle of water in insane imo

Back