WHY IS IBIZA NOT AN ALL YEAR ROUND RESORT???

2003052366674209861_rs.jpg

:p

Basically, Ibiza doesnt run in a bid way all year because you cant get direct (cheap) flights from UK, otherwise more people would book in Winter theres loads going on too. People have a general aversion to connecting flights and potential waits in airports risk of delays etc etc. Most of the flight times to IBZ are crazy enough for a main destination. Whether or not that would mean mass tourism answers itself. Its not main holday season so you wont get any more crowded than even any of the Canaries out of main season. That lends itself to a far more stylish set of events large and small for an older independent crowd, in turn that will promote the general theme of the island. Theres no way you'd det big enough crowds for the very large venues to open regularly and i reckon it would actually work well if kept under control.

from majorca daily bulletin:

Government campaign to promote all year round tourism

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]WITH sixty-five percent of the workforce in the Balearics employed in the tourism industry, it came as good news yesterday that central government is to spend 50 million euros next year on making all-year-round tourism a reality. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Tourism secretary Amparo Fernandez said yesterday at Senate committee meeting on Industry and Commerce: “Some 46 percent of foreign tourists come to Spain during the summer months. It’s very important to take steps to lengthen the tourist season because the economic and social impact will be beneficial for employment and will make use of both public and privately-owned infrastructure. “Horizon 2020” is the title of the plan committed to the promotion and development of touristic activity. It stipulates however that whilst aimed at creating all-year-round tourism in Spain, “Horizon 2020” will only operate within the limits of sustainable growth. It could include no activity which damaged the environment, which resulted in an excessive amount of carbon emissions or which impacted negatively on social or cultural aspects of Spanish society.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Fernandez said that of the 320 million euros which are budgeted for “Horizon 2020,” nearly 50 million will be used specifically to cultivate all-year-round tourism. In order to achieve this objective, the Secretary said that it is important to have consensus from tourist industry chiefs, hotel federations, and unions. “We need to know what client demands are and foster our touristic products on that basis,” Fernandez suggested. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Because of the central government grant, she continued, 2008 is going to be an important year in which to look at what natural resources the country has, what cultural and gastronomic attractions there are at holiday destinations within its borders, and in which way to build on this potential so that there is plenty of activity away from the summer months. The Spanish Senate (Parliament) had already approved in October this year the implementation of a programme aimed at creating all-year-round tourism. Committee president Xavier Albistur said that holiday destinations in Spain have a number of problems in common. It is hoped that “Horizon 2020” will offer some common solutions.[/FONT]

from the ibiza sun:

New Ideas
A marketing plan which is set to redefine the basis of the promotion of tourism undertaken within the Balearics over the next five years was revealed last week. The plan was produced after lengthy discussions between the private and public sectors. The main targets of the plan will be to make the season longer, improve the image of the islands, and to properly promote the islands via the internet. This last target was made at the bequest of the private sector after much persistence, and is something the Minister for Tourism at the Govern Balear, Francesc Buils, says his administration will take very seriously. It has also been agreed that the four islands should be promoted separately wherever possible.
The promotion will concentrate on three main sectors which include the sun and sea tourist, conference tourism (using amongst other places the new conference centre in Santa Eulalia), and cultural tourism.
The various meetings showed some surprising differences in the general approach of the two different sectors. The private sector was far more dynamic in its approach and as well as embracing new technology, they were also keen to reach new markets, the Japanese and Chinese being a good example. They underlined the importance of the already existing markets, especially the British, German and Spanish, but said the marketing of the islands had to reach new destinations.
It has also been decided to market this island abroad under the name "Ibiza". This is a change of tack from the previous administration who decided to use the Catalan name "Eivissa" for the island's promotion, to try and get away from the tainted reputation the name "Ibiza" was perceived to have abroad. However, after much discussion it seems they are reverting to the "tried and trusted", and Ibiza will be once again used.

heading out on Friday next week (11th) for my first winter weekend there, and I can't wait for it. Flights were less than £100 return (skyscanner strikes again) and I'm staying with a friend that lives there.

Really looking forward to chilling and driving around for 3 days and just eating well and exploring the island more. It's my 15th trip out there but I'll probably see as much this time as I do in a week usually.

:)

from the ibiza sun:

Winter Investment
On Wednesday the Govern Balear announced they would be investing €300,000 to try and enhance the image of Ibiza during the winter months. Most of the money will be spent on organising activities to try and encourage more winter tourism. They will also be publishing a monthly guide to what is going on during the off-season. Activities organised will include musical concerts, excursions and exhibitions. Although nothing has yet been planned, the director general of the promotion of tourism at the Govern, Joan Sastre, said he hoped the first activities would begin in March.

english, french, german and italian pensioners will be coming over in winter 2009

from ibizaa-z today:

Inauguration of the new British Consul

Thats what it said on the tin...

In actualite it meant that Xico Torres (President of the Island Council), Mrs Meg Munn (British Secretary of State for Consular Affairs), Denise Holt (British Ambassador to Spain) and Helen Watson (British Consul) had a "do" down at the existing British Consul and unveiled a plaque to commemorate the day. Security was tight and there were no riff raff - but we got in and we did spot an island couple who were probably trying to bend the ear of Xico...

Andy, I put a shirt on for the first time this year - you could've :)

After the typical english muck up of the pulling of the curtain of the plaque went wrong there was a q & a with the local press. Both Mrs Munns and Mr Torres went to great lengths to emphasise how important british tourists are to the island.

We have to review the recording of it but the penultimate question didn't seem to go down that well but being british we wouldn't let the press conference end on a downer so I asked Xico Torres about Winter Tourism and whether they would be working with the consul for the UK market.

To paraphrase:
"We are expanding on the spanish scheme that subsidises spanish pensioners to come to ibiza in the winter and will be expanding it so the english, french, german and italian pensioners will be coming over in winter 2009"

so thats the islands answer to winter tourism...

Fair play to Mrs Munns, she arrived last night after a 4 hour plane delay, went to san an's west end and then went to amnesia....

xico torres,meg munns, denise holt
IMG_2168.jpg

xico torres,meg munns
IMG_2191.jpg

xico torres,meg munns, helen watson
IMG_2210.jpg

denise holt, xico torres,meg munns, helen watson
IMG_2217.jpg

winter tourism

Whilst revealing his companies new routes for the coming season the director-general of Air Berlin in Spain and Portugal heavily criticised the attitude of the politicians on the island. During his speech Alvaro Middelmann said the time had come to stop talking about all-year-round tourism, and actually begin to act, adding that he had become bored of the constant promises by politicians year after year about de-seasonalising the island.
He also had no doubts about entering the debate currently brewing about the possibility of new golf courses on the island, claiming it was a "no-brainer", whilst criticising the only course on the island for its elitist attitude.

and also from this weeks ibiza sun:

I was somewhat disappointed to read in last week's paper that there are plans to build a new 5-star hotel and 30 additional villas in Roca Llisa. They have certainly done a remarkably fine job in destroying what used to be a superb development. I was also saddened to read that the Town Hall of Santa Eulalia and the Activities department of the Island Council had already backed the idea, with the quote that they see the project "as a huge benefit to tourism in the area, especially in the winter months"! I cannot help but feel that those on the Activities department have never been on a golfing holiday or for that matter have not even played golf. Perhaps I misjudge them; maybe they have only played golf on Ibiza! Golfers on holiday are quite used to hiring cars and driving a few miles to play.
It is not necessary for the golf course to be outside their bedroom and we have just seen the construction of three new 5* hotels in the last couple of years. Do we really need any more at this time of worldwide financial crisis? I can only repeat my previous statement on this subject if you want to attract a serious amount of winter golfers you have to give them the possibility of playing at least three different quality courses. Surely even the most non-golfing person can realise that without this option why on earth would people make the effort to try and get to this Island when they have the opportunity to play many courses in a small area on the Mainland, Majorca or Portugal.
I put it to you: Is one on the course 5* hotel and 30 villas going to make a difference to their holiday destination decision? Of course not. All that is going to happen is that the area will look more like an overcrowded part of the Mainland. What we need are more golf courses not hotels. Mind you it is not surprising there is opposition to any new courses if this is an example as to what might happen to them. It is such a shame that these days we do not seem to be able to have a golf course without development, as a well designed course is a thing of beauty and can encourage wildlife. Maybe we could get the existing 5* hotels to sponsor a new golf course!

Back