what some of the locals think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can't go outside for another couple of weeks, but in fairness he's come into a house with four older male cats and he is holding his own. Too brazen if anything. Needs putting down a peg or two. Suspect his parents were half-wild as a lot of the cats in San Antonio. He definitely has an unpredictable streak. Hopefully he keeps his streetwise nature.
Only the top cat is hissing at him. The others don't know what to think of him. They're humouring his eccentricity at the moment. But he does get too much for them.
Vet thinks he is Bengal or at least part, so he's gonna be a handful.

He's been named Amigo. Not my first choice, but at least it's Spanish I suppose. I wanted to call him Dusty (as in dusty car park where he was found).

Plan is to bring him back next summer. Got his pet passport now after all. Want to drive out anyway, so should be less agg with more forward planning.

He can't go outside for another couple of weeks, but in fairness he's come into a house with four older male cats and he is holding his own. Too brazen if anything. Needs putting down a peg or two. Suspect his parents were half-wild as a lot of the cats in San Antonio. He definitely has an unpredictable streak. Hopefully he keeps his streetwise nature.
Only the top cat is hissing at him. The others don't know what to think of him. They're humouring his eccentricity at the moment. But he does get too much for them.

He's been named Amigo. Not my first choice, but at least it's Spanish I suppose. I wanted to call him Dusty (as in dusty car park where he was found).

Plan is to bring him back next summer. Got his pet passport now after all. Want to drive out anyway, so should be less agg with more forward planning.
There’s probably some young kid in Ibiza crying himself to sleep every night thinking his cat is dead lol

We thought he may have come from one of the camper vans in the car park. But there's dozens of cats out there that don't really have a home and live outdoors 24/7. An oriental man goes around leaving food out for all of them. There was a posse of about 6 that lived right next to us and loads more further down road towards Kanya. We could have left him, but I doubt he would've made it. Should still have been with the mother at that age. He'd have been squashed by a car if he wasn't got by the dogs.

Adopted a stray. Found him under a car being harassed by dogs, about 6-weeks old. No sign of the mother or rest of the litter. This was 23:00 at night and we were getting ready to go out. So the decision was made to keep it overnight and deal with it in the morning...
Found him a rescue home and everything. But of course the missus had grown attached by this point. So, she convinced me she'd done her research and it was easy enough getting him home so long as was fully vaccinated. So fives trips to the vets and several hundred €s later he's good to go.
Only the UK & Ireland are the only places in the EU that don't allow pets to arrive in the cabin. Plus, Spanish carriers only allow registered companies to book animals into the hold, the public can't. Long and short of it, was the getting a ferry back to the UK was the only option.
Flight to Paris > overnight in a pet friendly hotel > cab across the city to Gare du Nord > 2 train to Calais > collected by brother at the port and ferry back to Dover > drive home.
Another €300 down the pan.
So, Yeah, got a cat now. A bloody immigrant cat at that.
"What the maddest thing you did in Ibiza?"
A. Adopted a cat.
My advice: don't adopt a cat abroad. Don't get attached. Don't even pet them in the street. More agg than it's worth.
And don't believe your missus when she says "it'll be easy"

Lovely cat though. Getting his balls done next week.
great post, great story.

are the locals animal lovers in general?

Ferry with a cat is perfect, I do it each time with mine.
Balearia's crew is more animal friendly than trasmed.

are the locals animal lovers in general?

Yes, very much so I think. But I get the impression - perhaps wrongly - that the issue of neutering cats hasn't really be pushed home and the population has exploded. Plus with a lot of homes being seasonal, I can imagine litters being born when owners are away in the cooler months and these kitten learning to fend for themselves.

Ferry with a cat is perfect, I do it each time with mine.
Balearia's crew is more animal friendly than trasmed.

Noted, thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Yes, very much so I think. But I get the impression - perhaps wrongly - that the issue of neutering cats hasn't really be pushed home and the population has exploded. Plus with a lot of homes being seasonal, I can imagine litters being born when owners are away in the cooler months and these kitten learning to fend for themselves.

Noted, thanks for the tip.
I never had a problem to take the cat with us in the cabine with balearia

Adopted a stray. Found him under a car being harassed by dogs, about 6-weeks old. No sign of the mother or rest of the litter. This was 23:00 at night and we were getting ready to go out. So the decision was made to keep it overnight and deal with it in the morning...
Found him a rescue home and everything. But of course the missus had grown attached by this point. So, she convinced me she'd done her research and it was easy enough getting him home so long as was fully vaccinated. So fives trips to the vets and several hundred €s later he's good to go.
Only the UK & Ireland are the only places in the EU that don't allow pets to arrive in the cabin. Plus, Spanish carriers only allow registered companies to book animals into the hold, the public can't. Long and short of it, was the getting a ferry back to the UK was the only option.
Flight to Paris > overnight in a pet friendly hotel > cab across the city to Gare du Nord > 2 train to Calais > collected by brother at the port and ferry back to Dover > drive home.
A. Adopted a cat.
My advice: don't adopt a cat abroad. Don't get attached. Don't even pet them in the street. More agg than it's worth.

We transport cats

£450 each

For next time ;)

Ibizatransport.co.uk

A. Adopted a cat.

Quality haha
Top stuff
Any men that claims they hate cats are not secure enough in their masculinity. Probably got small peckers. That's my theory anyway

We thought he may have come from one of the camper vans in the car park. But there's dozens of cats out there that don't really have a home and live outdoors 24/7. An oriental man goes around leaving food out for all of them. There was a posse of about 6 that lived right next to us and loads more further down road towards Kanya. We could have left him, but I doubt he would've made it. Should still have been with the mother at that age. He'd have been squashed by a car if he wasn't got by the dogs.
I’m only joking mate

Attracting solely older tourists works well in the short term, they are better behaved and generally more wealthy. But the big issue is they die! or at least becoming too frail to travel. You need a new batch of younger tourists each year to keep the numbers up.

And as has been discussed on here before, there's an argument that most catch the Ibiza bug when they are young and keep coming back. If you dont catch em early they might never visit Ibiza at all.

I recently visited the Costa Del Sol and admittedly it was out of season but it was the oldest set of people i've ever seen in a resort and I wondered what will happen in 5/10 years when these guests aren't there.
I'm now hitting the "older tourist" mode, so whoever's died off or become too frail is beign replaced by me.
However - if we (UK) lose the EHIC and need to fork out for visas (60e I believe) because our government couldn't negotiate a brew out of a teabag, then I won't be going - in fact I'm considering trips nearer to home when travelling solo in case I fall ill and I'm on familiar ground (oh, the joys of pensionhood when 40 years ago the Big Question was should it be flip-flops or sandals?) such as the south coast of the UK and the Scots islands for some decent (but wet) walking.
Hmmm.
On saying that the lure of Formentera.....

We live in an overaged society with less and less youg people and an ervery growing part of older people.

As a tourist destination, if you are able to cater fro the 20somethings today, and are able to keep them until they die, you can easily do business with them for 50-60 years.
If you only cater for the young, you will shortly go out of business no matter how good you are.

And with Cats, I always contact Care4Cats when I arrive on the Island and try to take one home with me. Not to keep it, but as a flight pate.
You receive the cat once you go home at the airport and deliver it when you arrive at your destination. No further obligation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back