What is wrong with vests?????

Hally

I keep coming across negative vibes towards the vest wearing population in threads on here. I am confused, what is wrong with vests???

Nothing. Wear one if you want to wear one, although I'd generally keep them to daytime wandering around rather than for clubbing.

But about those phat pants... ;)

There's something wrong with everything on this forum due to the diverse group of people who frequent it.

I always wear vests during the day, often at night too depending where I'm heading etc.
Nothing wrong IMO

If you like vests, wear vests. If you don't, don't. Easy.

I wear them during the day in Ibiza, and put tshirts on for the clubs.

Only place I despise vests is in the gym.

I wasn't really asking if I should wear a vest, more why vest wearing is used as part of a negative description of someone ie

'Circo Loco is full of vest wearing . . . '

I don't think there's anything wrong with vests per se .. at least they allow ventilation in the appropriate areas and in a sweaty club if people are really dancing it makes total sense from a body temperature management point of view as you lose heat from your armpits. What I do find somewhat ridiculous are the oddly-cut ones with gaping necklines which fall below the nipple and hang like a rag :!:

Let's be honest a lot of guys on techno nights actually take their t-shirts off completely not because they are gay and want to strut about but because when they go for it big time in those temperatures you can overheat to dangerous levels very easily.

I wore a technical top designed for intense physical activity last night to a very sweaty genuine old-fashioned rave in London and 3 girls actually told me to take it off because they thought I was overheating on the dancefloor and tied it round my waist :eek: I can assure you it wasn't because I had anything they wanted to look at, the energy was just ridiculous and it went back on when I cooled down a bit ! When I got out, the top 3/4 of my shorts were saturated as if I'd been swimming and I wrung my top out 3 times to a puddle during the night. I'm pretty sure with a vest that wouldn't have got so bad.. so if you can pull one off then by all means wear it ... and feckin go for it :p:!:

PS - you can definitely get away with wearing a vest, Hally and would take no notice of the slagging off of vest-wearers !

Last edited by a moderator:
I wore a technical top designed for intense physical activity last night to a very sweaty genuine old-fashioned rave in London and 3 girls actually told me to take it off because they thought I was overheating on the dancefloor and tied it round my waist :eek: I can assure you it wasn't because I had anything they wanted to look at, the energy was just ridiculous and it went back on when I cooled down a bit ! When I got out, the top 3/4 of my shorts were saturated as if I'd been swimming and I wrung my top out 3 times to a puddle during the night. I'm pretty sure with a vest that wouldn't have got so bad

Got to get myself down there

Got to get myself down there

Mate it was off the scale. Been nothing like it atmosphere-wise (consistently) since the late '80s early '90s. Some of the first-timers in retro sports gear and tashes brought new levels of authenticity - was hilarious :lol: But it was packed, the queue was an hour-long even for members, the temps were genuinely sauna-level and sweat pouring off the aircraft-hangar ceiling so seriously hardcore effort to last till lights up. Was still feckin jumping at gone 6am. Minimarc came with his special friend too (;)) was great to meet her - proper rave babe :p

The problem with today's youth is their lack of originality.

Walk around Ibiza and it is like a uniform. Vest and cap either back to front or at an angle.

I hate to stereotype, but they tend to be worn by knobs. Lots of them on show in PDB.

Bring back sarongs, thats what I say.

The problem with today's youth is their lack of originality.

Walk around Ibiza and it is like a uniform. Vest and cap either back to front or at an angle.

I hate to stereotype, but they tend to be worn by knobs. Lots of them on show in PDB.

Bring back sarongs, thats what I say.

As you say they are young and influenced by media and their mates. It's normal for young people to follow trends ? Nothing new in that surely you're just looking at it with an older set of eyes ? You're definitely stereotyping here ..

One thing I will say is that a bunch of those vest-and-cap wearing B-Boys were at Sankeys Viva Warriors opening and they were dancing amazingly, full of energy and joy, and were completely at home holding their own amongst all the older crowd there. Extremely polite and well-mannered and a positive asset to the club and the dancefloor. I've seen the same at 'closed' Art of Dark parties in London - amazing vibe.

So to be honest I don't give a monkey's a*se if they want to dress like that - good luck to 'em and as long as they bring something like I've seen them bring to the parties I go to everyone's the richer for their company.

As you say they are young and influenced by media and their mates. It's normal for young people to follow trends ? Nothing new in that surely you're just looking at it with an older set of eyes ? You're definitely stereotyping here ..

One thing I will say is that a bunch of those vest-and-cap wearing B-Boys were at Sankeys Viva Warriors opening and they were dancing amazingly, full of energy and joy, and were completely at home holding their own amongst all the older crowd there. Extremely polite and well-mannered and a positive asset to the club and the dancefloor. I've seen the same at 'closed' Art of Dark parties in London - amazing vibe.

So to be honest I don't give a monkey's a*se if they want to dress like that - good luck to 'em and as long as they bring something like I've seen them bring to the parties I go to everyone's the richer for their company.

Fair point, but they do like like knobs.

Of course it's a stereotype.

No different than if you are a white guy wearing an Adidas sport suit with matching shoes and a thick gold chain, you are probably going to be stereotyped as a Russian/Ukrainian mob type.

As long as you are aware of that and still think that style suits you, hooray! But be aware people are going to think douchebag, fair or not. The people that hold that against you personally are probably no fun jackasses anyway but I think a lot of people you meet would start out with a potentially slanted view of your personality based on your appearance.

Think about how you approach a girl with her tits popping out of her top and no underwear versus a girl in a t-shirt and jeans. How you dress and present your self is the only thing that most people ever see and will sure as hell effect how they react to you until, if ever, they get to know you.

Personally, I could never wear one without a t-shirt underneath which, in my imagination would potentially look even worse on me. I will just stay away from vests and stick to t-shirts and fitted shirts but that's my personal style choice. I made my share of bad fashion choices in high-school with clothes like Mc Hammer pants and flannel shirts in the summer.

Live and learn.

Back