What do you all look like?

Mark Sun said:
Scoobie said:
gingerfreak said:
:eek: Seriously, I have absolutely no idea. It was just a guess. I suppose I had a 1 in 15 chance.

I'm going to do the lottery this weekend now. :lol:

Maths not your strong point? Or do you have shorter months up your way? :lol: :lol: ;)

He picked 2 dates, and rounding down there are 30 days in amonth.. is there some statistical anomoly I'm not aware of? :p

that would be a 2 in 30 chance not a 1 in 15. you don't halve your odds by having 2 goes ;)

(I await someone with more maths knowledge to elaborate because I know its a bit more complicated than that)

Scoobie said:
Mark Sun said:
Scoobie said:
gingerfreak said:
:eek: Seriously, I have absolutely no idea. It was just a guess. I suppose I had a 1 in 15 chance.

I'm going to do the lottery this weekend now. :lol:

Maths not your strong point? Or do you have shorter months up your way? :lol: :lol: ;)

He picked 2 dates, and rounding down there are 30 days in amonth.. is there some statistical anomoly I'm not aware of? :p

that would be a 2 in 30 chance not a 1 in 15. you don't halve your odds by having 2 goes ;)

(I await someone with more maths knowledge to elaborate because I know its a bit more complicated than that)

Maths wasn't my strong point at school :D

Errr anyhow, back to the pics:

Matt Collins - busted:

104_0491.JPG

Mark Sun said:
Actually isn't it 1/30 plus 1/29?

Yeah thats what I meant by awaiting a maths person. i wasn't sure how to add together 1/30 and 1/29. (maths not my strong point either :lol: :lol: )

gfunk said:
No its a 1 in 15 chance as GF originally said.
2 out of 30 is the same as 1 out of 15 in terms of odds :idea:

Cheers gfunk, although I now think it's not, cos after I've removed 1 day from 30 that only leaves me with 1 from 29 (unless I guess the same day twice which would be daft), so the odds are slightly shorter.

the probability would all depend on whether you were told if you were right on the first guess or not. Independence of events...... ;)

if your not told anything untill after your two guesses, they are mutually exclusive.

so 1/15

If we know that the first guess is right or wrong, the second guess becomes dependent naturally.

If your told your right on your first guess. then 1/30....

so there are three answers.

====================================

probability of guessing correct date if guesses are independent - 1/15

Probability of first guess being correct - 1/30

probability of second guess being right knowing that the first guess is wrong - 1/30 + 1/29

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Back