What DJs are the most arrogant?

Tong is really cold. Journalists i know have said he is really hard work because he always gives you the corporate response, never his gut emotion. An extremely successful businessman who probably stopped caring about music at some point in 1996. Which is kinda sad for those of us old enough to remember when he DID
care

Indeed a very successfully business-man! I think he gets a bad-press in terms of his DJ skills. I still think he's a good DJ in terms of song choice etc when he's more in his element: Tech House. My favourite period of his was the "All Gone" parties at Pacha 2011/12 on the nights where he had more underground guests - he put in some good sets IMO! Also thought he did pretty well at Solomun +1 last year! When he tries to do more big-room stuff it's so forced. His Ushuaia party in 2013 just never got going. He needs to get back to Pacha! ;)

Is he relevant anymore though? Saw him in Sankeys in Manchester a few years back and he was shit, killed any atmosphere and he looked bored.

Miguel Migs and Lisa Shaw stayed in my friends house after a gig and both of them came to the local shop for milk the next morning. :cool:

Jamie Anderson came back to a mates afterparty and went around the flat asking everyone to chip in £10 each to continue the "Jamie Anderson experience".

I think mr rampling is a bit of a bell these days - i attended his shoom 25 party in hastings last year (don't ask..) and had a brief chat. All self-marketing, bigging up his DJ wife (who should NEVER be allowed near ANY decks) and hopelessly out of touch with the current state of music. He had changed. Perhaps a little paranoid after the pisstaking his pyramid scheme and his chef talk generated on one forum i could mention.. I met L.Loud recently too - v friendly but probably needs to call it a day - for her health's sake.. Saw the trophy twins a while back too. Not my music, nor my kind of people at all! Larry Heard on the other hand was great. A group of us stalked him back to his hotel in brixton after a gig and his agent was reluctant but we managed to have a chat. Such an incredible back story. Tim Sweeney is really sound too. Not that different to his BIS radio show. No cynicism about him at all. Gilles Peterson & the Xpress II guys are v cool too. Maybe the old timers have nothing to prove or perhaps they don't feel the need to go all diva? It's true that you can't expect much from someone who is knackered/jetlagged but i think the real difference is between DJs who see you as a fellow music lover and therefore a friendly face and those guys who just see you as cattle or as a nuisance. The latter need to get over themselves

Don't get the whole Danny Rampling wife thing. Assume he only says he will play some gigs if they sign the package. Be like me taking the Mrs to work and working with me. A shame as he used to be decent at Moneypennys at El Divino. Obviously thought he could retire, but has lost any street cred he had left when he came back and hasn't kept up to date.

I met Pete Tong after one of his beach parties at Ushuaia this Summer, came across really well and gave me the name of a few track id's i asked for.

While we're name dropping.......I shared a water bottle full of warm vodka with The Martinez Brothers, before they were 21, a few years ago at a Danny Tenaglia party at Pacha NY. I've been on planes out of NY with them like 4 times now, we have the same party schedules apparently. But anyway, they are super cool dudes.

While we're name dropping.......I shared a water bottle full of warm vodka with The Martinez Brothers, before they were 21, a few years ago at a Danny Tenaglia party at Pacha NY. I've been on planes out of NY with them like 4 times now, we have the same party schedules apparently. But anyway, they are super cool dudes.

You have the same party schedules?

mr Troxler actually started talking to us one time when we were walking back into fabric at lunchtime on one of their birthdays. he remembered us from earlier that morning. seemed a really nice bloke. i was more star struck by Matthew Dear who was with him as he's one of my favourite producers.

I remember reading on an old dj forum that Ms Kittin was an absolute nightmare to work with but as Stivi said i think if you catch someone at the wrong time then anyone is capable of being abit grouchy.

I joined specifically to mention some nice DJs met during my former job as a club tech and DJ: Graham Gold - top bloke, very down to earth. Lizzie Curious - full of energy, a great laugh, and lastly Coxy - as everyone says, very grounded chap. Also worthy mentions some old-skool producers: DJ Luck & MC Neat - decent guys, always got time for a chat, and likewise with Baby D, who once, even after their set had finished, rather than rushing out of the DJ booth and jumping in their respective cars, stayed behind and danced and MC'd while I was spinning some tunes.

I joined specifically to mention some nice DJs met during my former job as a club tech and DJ: Graham Gold - top bloke, very down to earth. Lizzie Curious - full of energy, a great laugh, and lastly Coxy - as everyone says, very grounded chap. Also worthy mentions some old-skool producers: DJ Luck & MC Neat - decent guys, always got time for a chat, and likewise with Baby D, who once, even after their set had finished, rather than rushing out of the DJ booth and jumping in their respective cars, stayed behind and danced and MC'd while I was spinning some tunes.

agree re coxy. during my time with spotlight I've met a lot of DJs, including some of the very biggest names in the industry, and coxy really is a very nice guy.

Jon Carter spend the whole time I was playing telephone tennis between Eden and Mambo, with the former threatening to cancel his gig there because he'd played at the latter that evening, hitting on my then missus. :lol:

Last edited:
There are some very arrogant and cliquey DJs where I live and I tend to stay well away from them. Doesn’t matter how commercial or cool you are. It can all go to your head regardless.

The warning sign is when someone you’ve known for years gets more known and suddenly stops talking to you. “Remember us when you’re famous, eh”

Whereas there are others who are down to earth mates for life. At 49 life’s too short to waste around egos.

Peggy Gou gave a really arrogant vibe in Barcelona once.

And totally not arrogant, the Keinemusik guys. Even shared a pizza and some drinks with them.

Agree with Stivi's point on Coxy. Even if you just say hi if you see him at an airport, on a flight - he just loves life man, he always smiles and acknowledges people. Same with Digweed too - always time for people - seen him on an EasyJet flight just chatting away to people. Another DJ (who I know gets a bad rep in some parts) was DJ Sneak who I was next to on a City flight to Ibiza once (c.2013/14 - and was very friendly.

I interviewed various DJs from different scenes for my blog and all of them were really nice. Others reached out when I had bad depression in recent months when, disappointingly, certain so-called mates did not. You reach a point where you stop being starstruck and realise this is ultimately a community and not Hollywood

Back