What DJs are the most arrogant?

Dirk

I can imagine the constant compliments and inflated sense of importance will inflate some people egos, but yet again some remain level headed.

What DJs do you know of are the most arrogant and what examples do you have of their arrogance?

I will give two as a starter:

1/ Paul Oakenfold. I read his book and he just comes across as arrogant. Lots of articles and journalists have also stated he is arrogant. I also remember Judge Jules slating him years ago when he DJd at Amnesia and he said it was embarrasing as he obviously just couldn't be bothered and was ripping off punters.

2/ Steve Angello. His fake DJing debacle and the spoiled brat arrogance shown on the SHM documentary shows how inflated this guys ego is. Prize twat.

Last edited:
Maybe Richie Hawtin for his recent episode! Also the ridiculous crap he comes out with about connecting yourself to a multi media musical magical interactive environment, do me a favor, all you've done is just hung up some decorations in Space

2h72ypw.jpg

all the above + luciano. In fact, any vest-wearing tech or edm superstar surrounded by an army of hanger-ons on a stage. Least arrogant DJ? - possibly kerri chandler. an absolute delight to talk to.

I was just about to post who is the least arrogant/most down to earth DJ?

- Kerri Chandler! He is possibly the nicest guy in the world. Good call!

almost all of the DJs I've personally met were actually really nice and down to earth.

thing is also, I'd say it hugely depends where and in what moment you meet a person with a profile like that - are they in a relaxed mood? or have they just flown half across the planet, haven't properly slept in days, done tons of fan pics and press dates and are just waiting to finally play that last gig so they can then go to sleep? of course they should be professional, but I have some understanding if after a heavy week their patience is reaching a limit. I've seen this with a few artists which I've met more than once, one time they're the nicest guys, the other time they were just too tired.

that said, I'm sure there are a few people around that have somewhat of an attitude. I've never met oakie myself, but he does have that reputation. also not too keen on meeting aoki or angello and a few others.

on the 'nice guy' end of things, here are a few which I've met that stand out for me personally

- coxy
- ferry corsten (long time ago, but he was the nicest guy ever)
- dixon
- sven väth
- seth troxler
- monika kruse

then james chapman and jordan smith would definitely add josh wink to the 'nicest guy ever' list. haven't properly met him, but he seems to be a super cool dude.

haven't met laurent garnier (sadly), but he also comes across as a really sound guy.

eats everything, Sasha = nice guys

I met Oakenfold at The Temple in Bolton at the Northern Exposure tour in c1996(?) (ive no idea why he was there?) he was very standoffish.

Andy Moor is a complete prick.

That's surprising as he comes across as quite humble in his biog.

Grammy-award nominated electronic dance music DJ and producer Andy Moor has established a distinct, edgy and creative sound that is completely his own. Highly ranked in the DJ Mag Top 100 for the past 6 years (he was 87 last year?) he was nominated for the DJ Awards in 2009, won ‘Best Dance Record’ at the International Dance Music Awards in 2006, and ‘Best Trance Producer’ and ‘Best Trance Track’ in 2004. A highlight of Andy’s illustrious career was his nomination in the “Best Remixed Recording” category at the 2008 Grammy Awards for his remix of Delerium’s ‘Angelicus’.

For fifteen years, Moor has been at the forefront of a rapidly evolving music scene, pioneering new sounds and techniques and consistently releasing the finest in progressive and trance.

Exploring his talent early in life, Andy Moor could already play his first piano piece flawlessly at the tender age of 5. By 11, he had accomplished 6 more musical instruments. Two years later he spun his first record and by 21 he was playing to crowds of thousands.

One of THE nicest DJs I have ever met was Coxy. Was at an event at the ENTER.Sake Beach House dinner last year and a few of us were chatting for about 5 minutes about the current season. Such a nice down to Earth guy, and lives and breathes for music /ibiza. Some people are just born happy and I think he is one of them!

Have met Richie twice, and both times again he has been very very pleasant. Start talking about Japan and any trips you have planned and you can't stop him telling you about some random places he knows. I genuinely think when he is sober he's a pleasant guy.

Used to see Pete Tong on the BA Heathrow flight a fair bit. Never would approach him, say hi or anything as he always has a face of thunder in my view. I can imagine he might be slightly stand-off-ish.

Guy Gerber - very pleasant. He's in his own arty universe though! But i love him. He's like one of those arty kids at college / school.

Enough name dropping!

Tong is really cold. Journalists i know have said he is really hard work because he always gives you the corporate response, never his gut emotion. An extremely successful businessman who probably stopped caring about music at some point in 1996. Which is kinda sad for those of us old enough to remember when he DID care

Back