Well I never expected "sorry I cant make today's meeting as a volcano has errupted.."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: at Freakstar and Liam......

All chewie was worried about was his paint job on his car and you to had practically built an Anderson Shelter and kissed your asses goodbye :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The UK extended its ban on commercial flights until at least 0700 local time (0600 GMT) on Sunday.

As I said, wait...

I don't fly to San Francisco until a week on Thursday, but I'm starting to get a bit edgy about how this might affect me and my folks. If not through cancellations, then the delay pile up might be a problem. Also, we booked through Opodo, fly to London with BMI then to SF with United Airlines, then back home with Virgin, but I think it all falls under a BMI booking. Im hoping they don't go bust!

Luckily, I'm pretty flexible with holidays and my folks are newly retired, so although disappointing, provided we can get our money back no probs, then we can reschedule for another time, probably September/October. Bit of a gutter but not the end of the world.

I don't fly to San Francisco until a week on Thursday, but I'm starting to get a bit edgy about how this might affect me and my folks. If not through cancellations, then the delay pile up might be a problem. Also, we booked through Opodo, fly to London with BMI then to SF with United Airlines, then back home with Virgin, but I think it all falls under a BMI booking. Im hoping they don't go bust!

Luckily, I'm pretty flexible with holidays and my folks are newly retired, so although disappointing, provided we can get our money back no probs, then we can reschedule for another time, probably September/October. Bit of a gutter but not the end of the world.

I have 2 weeks til I fly to Cyprus to see the parentals, I'm not too worried at the moment. However I might have a bit of a "drama queen moment" if its still carrying on this time next week. :lol::lol::oops:

latest updated from our travel supplier is nothing in/out of the UK tomorrow now either...

How confused it's gotten - Delta canceled their New York to Moscow flights. Aeroflot just switched to a polar route!

Keeping my fingers crossed this is all over in 3 weeks before we fly for the FA Cup final :confused:

I'm supposed to fly into London on Monday then out again the next day. I can delay a bit, but since I booked my flights with 2 different airlines I'm a bit screwed :confused:

I can't really reschedule for a later date either.

A week on, any comment???? As I always said, wait.....

no-ones died. I don't see any disaster. major inconvenience yes.

dis·as·ter

 /dɪˈzæs
thinsp.png
tər, -ˈzɑ
thinsp.png
stər/ Show Spelled[dih-zas-ter, -zah-ster] Show IPA
–noun1.a calamitous event, esp. one occurring suddenly and causing great loss of life, damage, or hardship, as a flood, airplane crash, or business failure.

the only one that may result from that is business failure but they're all still in business as of yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
the airlines are within rights to be pissed off, if there was excess caution, but there is also evidence a fair few of them were breaking EU law in not feeding stranded passengers, so sympathy is tempered...

some of the stories were very funny. John Cleese having to get a taxi home from Norway via Calais had me in tears

"...
Icelandic Volcano

Last weekend a number of flights to and from the U.K. had to be cancelled
because of the ash cloud produced by the erupting volcano in Iceland.

According to the Airport Authority, no internal flights were affected from Ibiza,
but the airports at Palma and Menorca were closed as a security measure,
with hundreds of flights being cancelled.

All of the flights to UK were with Ryanair, with five departures and two arrivals
cancelled, affecting the routes to Stansted and Bournemouth, amongst others.
The company, which over the weekend announced the cancellation of all flights
until today (Wednesday), like all of the other airlines affected to other European
destinations, offered passengers the possibility of changing their flight
to another day, or a full refund.

... a group of 35 school children, accompanied by three teachers,
from the Can Bonet School in San Antonio were forced to stay in London,
where they had been on a school trip.
Eventually they made it home yesterday (Tuesday), after catching a ferry to France,
which was followed by an eighteen hour coach ride down to Madrid,
from where the exhausted teachers and students caught flights back to the island.
..."
(ibiza-sun)

Back