Weekend rundowns

Robder

Oh my seeds - 'the' most amazing weekend.

I always feel a slight wave of embarrassment admitting this (he says going on record on a public forum) - but I still absolutely LOVE the Ministry. :oops: :lol:

Obviously you have to pick your night with extra care (like once every six months when something good is on) but when it's good it's reeeeeeally bloody good. :eek: Such a lovely no-nonsense big room feel in the morning and a sound system to kill for.

You can't really argue with Louie Vega though can you?...and it's great to see someone I've had a great amount of respect for all these years put so much genuine energy and enthusiasm behind his mixing. He really put on a show and clearly loved every moment.

Jocelyn Brown lit the place up with 'Somebody elses guy', 'Alright' and 'Nights over Egypt' and Babs Tucker went down the evangelical route with enough energy to light up a power station (and nice Haiti tribute).

Shockingly I really liked the crowd too - a really nice mix of ages (I actually felt a very young 31 year old in places) and a nice even spread of black/white people which sadly is so rare these days in the advent of all this silly genre splitting.

Not felt the music in a London club like this since errrr the Masters at Work in 2008. 8)

Someone back me up please.

Louie Vega 8h00 - Roy Ayres - Everybody loves the sunshine. 8) 8) 8)

OOoh. Jealous! I saw that line-up and had to wipe a bit of drool. Jocelyn and Babs are always great live. And Louie.... Glad you enjoyed it :D

Friday - Opening of an art exhibit which included some work by the missus. Met up with the boys, hopped around 3 different clubs. Fairly random.

Saturday - In and out of consciousness all day. Watched football. Brought home some Georgian takeaway. Met the boys for drinks at Garage and then went to Arma for Viva with SIS and Steve Lawler :D Good tunes.

Sunday - Finally began, in earnest, the long-overdue massive apartment clean-up/clear-out. 3 big bags of trash and 4 boxes of stuff packed for storage 8)

and a nice even spread of black/white people which sadly is so rare these days in the advent of all this silly genre splitting.

If i take it you are a male Caucasian, what do you consider to be an even spread of black:white people 3:1 2:1 ??

Or does it really matter

No on the face of it, it doesn't really matter...

But if you hark back to the late 70s/80s, house music was very much a black thing.

Thankfully the divide isn't as apparent any more but back then it went something like this:

Studio 54/The Saint = White
Better Days/Gallery/Paradise Garage = Black

...and since it's nigh on impossible to go to a house night with 90% black people these days (except New York) it's nice to see music that truly bridges that race divide.

(lots of gayers in the Ministry on a Saturday too which was also a shocker.)

I don't think I'm speaking out of turn here am I? Help us out Morbs! :lol:

What's this then...are you accusing me of being a fag?

Is this my coming out party or something? :eek:

I don't think I'm speaking out of turn here am I? Help us out Morbs! :lol:
I hear ya :lol:

I thought your point made sense. There usually aren't too many of us around at good house nights, and especially techno nights, at the big clubs in London.

I take it that if I'd been so lucky as to have attended, I might have gone the whole night without anyone asking if I had any pills? :lol:

Robder is spot on - you DO have to select your ministry nights with care - but I saw some of the big US guns (ferrer/chandler) at another SH night 2/3 years back and I just melted at some of the bombs they were dropping.

it is possibly the only house night I know in London where you get a genuine and harmonious racial mix - the sad thing is that it is an ageing crowd and young black (and to a lesser extent, white) british clubbers just don't feel house music in the same way.

probably not as i dont think that has anything to do with the colour of your skin.
Mate, I'm not the sensitive type at all, and I find it mostly amusing not offensive, but it's definitely because of that. You can watch people wading through the crowd up to you. It's quite funny, actually.

the sad thing is that it is an ageing crowd and young black (and to a lesser extent, white) british clubbers just don't feel house music in the same way.

I don't mind the ageing part - I love being in a club with 30 somethings. 8)

But...yes, the fact that the true lineage of dance music has got lost along the way makes me very sad. :cry: :cry: :cry:

(Not meaning that there aren't any good producers around at the moment - more that people aren't interested in looking backwards and respecting where the music came from.)

This could (and probably will) change though. Fads die out but real music stays alive forever.

MAW 10th anniversary collection v1 & 2 - is hardly a passing fad. I want to be buried with those tracks tbh. :lol:

Of course it bloody is!

Everyone thinks dealers are black. :lol:

It's a sad fact of life...just look at the police attitudes. :rolleyes:

(Isn't that how we met Morbs? :lol: ;))

so why then do i always get asked? no matter where i am various people will ask me!

And before the obvious replies of 'you must look dodgy' come flooding in I wouldnt say i look any more dodgy than the next person.

I consistently get asked because of my facial piercings.

Morbs gets asked because he's black.

You? I dunno - maybe you just look weird. :lol:

Back