Weekend Plans

Little trail race for me tomorrow to make a change from pushing mileage on a Sunday. Leaving 5.30am to drive to Durdle Door for Trail Events Co. Lulworth Cove Trail Running Challenge 10k. Think the terrain is a bit less technical than my local area but still 490m of hill climbing so it's gonna hurt a bit I'm sure if I push it. Nothing on what the masochists taking on the marathon with 2,350m of ascent are in for - crazy fools :eek:?.

Wish it was sunnier tomorrow as I absolutely love that place - in really fine weather the views are incredible but I guess it'll be more comfortable with a bit of cloud cover. Sunday will no doubt be spent aching :lol:

I'll be trying to get March's half marathon in. Was the possibility of going on a date, but I think it's best cancelled! Would be a bad idea, for various reasons, plus I need to catch up on stuff at home.

Durdle Door's really nice. there's that arched rock you can swim under in the warmer months - people bomb into the water as a bit of a dare

Yep, there's Stair Hole just next door also, went swimming and rock climbing/jumping there last Summer it's got submerged swim-throughs etc. and also went kayaking along the coast from Lulworth Cove. Had a really cracking day. It's going to be interesting going back in March and running the coast paths - at least I know what to expect of the gradients having walked some of it !!!

Arsenal footy session with my eldest tonight. Skiing with kids in the morning, Amateur FA Over 40s Cup Final in the afternoon, followed by celebration/sorrow drowning Satuday night. Sunday - dying and playing with kids!

Mrs is in the big smoke all weekend so out walking up Pendle Hill with baby and mates tomorrow before pub lunch. Bowling later in the afternoon with best mate and his baby.

Sunday 8am church to sign up for Christening before heading to Dovestones, east of Manchester for a walk.

Hamburg next week....

Rock n Roll

Arsenal footy session with my eldest tonight. Skiing with kids in the morning, Amateur FA Over 40s Cup Final in the afternoon, followed by celebration/sorrow drowning Satuday night. Sunday - dying and playing with kids!

Came on as sub with 15 mins left of the 90, 3-1 down. 3 all at 90, 4-3 up with a minute of extra time left when they equalised. Won 3-1 on penalties. Think I've dislocated my shoulder

Last edited:
Came on as sub with 15 mins left of the 90, 3-1 down. 3 all at 90, 4-3 up with a minute of extra time left when they equalised. Won 3-1 on penalties. Think I've dislocated my shoulder

Well done. Did you score any of those 3 extra goals ? ? Hope your shoulder's popped back in !

20°, a fantastic sun, and a lot of things to do in the garden ?
I love spring ?View attachment 6492

Best time of year for me. Especially when it's not raining and the sun comes out ! That's one sloping garden, hope you have good knees !

Did my race at Durdle Door on Saturday. Overslept and sped out of the house in 15 minutes at 6am, took 2 1/2 hours to drive there. They let the handful of canicross people go first 5 minutes before the rest of us, not nearly long enough as they were all slow runners and had to get past at least 5 of them with dogs including 2 on a crazy steep hill which was tricky. Maybe should've held them back instead but then I guess they'd have tangled even more runners. Weather was rubbish, overcast with very fine rain at first but rain stopped just in time for the start.

Race started downhill and banked some time. 3 hills in the middle were really brutal, 1 was endless steps and the next 2 were grass, almost hands & knees to get up in parts and near-impossible to run. Each felt like doing squats continuously for 5 minutes and they came back-to-back. The downhills in between were just painful ! The last 1/3 was dominated by a nasty long climb which started just as steep a couple of minutes later and very gradually got less so over about 15 tortuous minutes by which point I was in serious lactic overload and took a bit too long to recover. Only the last 3k was remotely normal 'undulating' terrain. Managed to pick pace up consistently for each of those 3 kilometers which was good but legs were like lead by then and dropped a few places more than I should have.

The fastest finisher time was just over 56mins, which is bonkers long for an open 10k podium. Finished 28th out of 238 entrants with just over 1h05. Could've done a bit better I think but would've hurt even more than I do today if I had. Pretty sure I wasn't the only one to have a couple of WTF am I doing moments in that race ! No pretty pictures of the very lovely coastline - too intense to even get my phone out. Lessons learned for more training needed and a chunky trinket for my efforts. Recovered and forced some food down in Lulworth Cove car park but didn't stay long. 3 hour drive home was just wank !

20190323_101212 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

20190323_130252 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

20190324_203727 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

Today was a nice relaxing day with a big protein pancake breakfast and some gardening in the sunshine. A tad more civilized to be sure ?

Back