Weekend Plans

Only 2 drinks for me yesterday,but tonight i got invited to watch super bowl at a lock in not to far from home..:) very hush hush and ive no work tomorrow.. have to bring food and the drinks are on a tab to be payed later in week.. late one I think.. and I have no idea about American football.. Gooooo Beavers...

Dry January ✔
Dry February in progress :eek:
Was hoping to do dry February and March. But after my well documented pressure at work I caved in on Friday 3 beers, yesterday same plus large glass of diserano before bed. Then 3 pints after sons rugby today. January is just a distant memory.

So after last Sunday's "city trail run", this Saturday was the real deal I've been trying to get prepped for. Dartmoor hills behind the South Devon coast were waist deep in snow in places and a stack of people couldn't travel through to the county but many did, and the event went ahead. It wound up to be the most glorious day of cloudless skies - biting North wind aside it was just amazing. In any shady spot it felt around 0C but the sun was already warm and I was overdressed with a short sleeved baselayer under my t-shirt. Course I did was just over 11km rather than 10K (Endurancelife's 10Ks are anything over 10K and less than a half marathon). Setting was out of this world.

Had a 1.5 mile hill hike to the Registration area to start warming up and a mass start set off around 11.30am. We were warned that the course was "very technical" and of patches of ice where several runners had already gone flying. I saw a few more tumble along the way. Gruelling hills that just went on and on (around 350m of total climbing), runner bottlenecks impossible to pass and treacherous descents which slowed you right down it made last weekend feel like a stroll in the park. Honestly take my hat off to those who did the marathon and ultra takes some serious skill & stamina to race those !

Course was mainly mud/rock paths, plenty of rock/small boulder outcrops to jump, deep mud field track churned up by tractors, loads of gnarly roots, a few streams, a stretch of beach, the odd stretch of dry path and a small section of road. Flailed down the final field like a madman and crossed the line at 21kph, nearly taking out the marshall with the timing chip device ?. I had an absolute blast.

Placed 36 out of 161 placed finishers and 170 starters. I'm 9 months short of 'age group' - few months more and I'd have finished 3rd in category- Next year ?. Pro-rata 10K time 1hr 1min 15 (total 1hr 8min 30). Like most I power-hiked the worst bits of "hill" (i.e. cliff lol) but went too soft on myself when the gradients flattened in the first half and in the last couple of miles - scared of cramping ! Can do quite a bit better with more conditioning and a bit less slacking I reckon :lol:.

20190202_092010 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

20190202_092105 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

20190202_092503 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

20190202_103138 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

20190202_161831 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

20190202_194130[1] by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

When's the next one ?? ? :twisted:

11.5 mile run this morning. Tomorrow off to look at an old folk's home for my dad.

Nice one - you're getting well in to those long runs !!

So after last Sunday's "city trail run", this Saturday was the real deal I've been trying to get prepped for. Dartmoor hills behind the South Devon coast were waist deep in snow in places and a stack of people couldn't travel through to the county but many did, and the event went ahead. It wound up to be the most glorious day of cloudless skies - biting North wind aside it was just amazing. In any shady spot it felt around 0C but the sun was already warm and I was overdressed with a short sleeved baselayer under my t-shirt. Course I did was just over 11km rather than 10K (Endurancelife's 10Ks are anything over 10K and less than a half marathon). Setting was out of this world.

Had a 1.5 mile hill hike to the Registration area to start warming up and a mass start set off around 11.30am. We were warned that the course was "very technical" and of patches of ice where several runners had already gone flying. I saw a few more tumble along the way. Gruelling hills that just went on and on (around 350m of total climbing), runner bottlenecks impossible to pass and treacherous descents which slowed you right down it made last weekend feel like a stroll in the park. Honestly take my hat off to those who did the marathon and ultra takes some serious skill & stamina to race those !

Course was mainly mud/rock paths, plenty of rock/small boulder outcrops to jump, deep mud field track churned up by tractors, loads of gnarly roots, a few streams, a stretch of beach, the odd stretch of dry path and a small section of road. Flailed down the final field like a madman and crossed the line at 21kph, nearly taking out the marshall with the timing chip device ?. I had an absolute blast.

Placed 36 out of 161 placed finishers and 170 starters. I'm 9 months short of 'age group' - few months more and I'd have finished 3rd in category- Next year ?. Pro-rata 10K time 1hr 1min 15 (total 1hr 8min 30). Like most I power-hiked the worst bits of "hill" (i.e. cliff lol) but went too soft on myself when the gradients flattened in the first half and in the last couple of miles - scared of cramping ! Can do quite a bit better with more conditioning and a bit less slacking I reckon :lol:.

When's the next one ?? ?:twisted:

All the pain seems worth it for those views!! Well done on the placing too :) great result!

Stunning lanscapes! Conditions looked perfect. Good effort Alex!

well done!!! ?

Stunning lanscapes! Conditions looked perfect. Good effort Alex!

Was really at its best, still can't believe how lucky we were with the recent weather and forecast ahead. The best views were round the point itself but didn't want to stop to take photos on a 1 hour race ! I went for a quick recce of the parking area the day before and it was very cloudy, just as windy and 1C / feel like temperature of minus 4C at 3pm - all felt and looked very different without the sunshine.

Spent some quality time with the dog this morning at Burgh Island, not been taking him out as much as I'd like to - it was nice enough. Rain back with us as per ususal from tomorrow I think !!

20190203_121955[1] by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

Was really at its best, still can't believe how lucky we were with the recent weather and forecast ahead. The best views were round the point itself but didn't want to stop to take photos on a 1 hour race ! I went for a quick recce of the parking area the day before and it was very cloudy, just as windy and 1C / feel like temperature of minus 4C at 3pm - all felt and looked very different without the sunshine.

Spent some quality time with the dog this morning at Burgh Island, not been taking him out as much as I'd like to - it was nice enough. Rain back with us as per ususal from tomorrow I think !!

20190203_121955[1] by 103 Alex1, on Flickr
Yeah, posh dog with a Rod Stewart haircut...
(well done btw)

Back