Weekend Plans

A couple of those acts definitely straddle that line these days (Gareth Emery being the main one).

Oh I know too well, and I've set my expectations, but until transatlantic travel opens up a bit more this may be the most trance I'll see for a few months. I'm planning to make the best of it, and I'll try not to cringe if (when?) Gareth drops some dubstep in his set. 🙉

Oh I know too well, and I've set my expectations, but until transatlantic travel opens up a bit more this may be the most trance I'll see for a few months. I'm planning to make the best of it, and I'll try not to cringe if (when?) Gareth drops some dubstep in his set. 🙉

Oh, it'll still be grand! Haha.

Or that they ideally sell as many female places as possible, but will sell to males late on if needed to sell out?
It just comes across as very predatory.

I've only been to Vegas 3 times but despite having an amazing time I've always been put off by a lot of the clubs doing cheaper ticket price for women and with some free drinks as part of that.
Doesn't sit comfortably with me at all.

Last edited:
This Vegas discussion has reminded me of the MySpace message I received in 2009, from an American woman I had met in a Vegas club in 2003!

Lol I saw the date and didn't realize this was on Friday! Post up after you go, really want to know how it goes.

Back from Las Vegas, and the Dreamstate event itself was really good. We got there around the time the show started at 7pm, as Jerome Isma-Ae was one of the artists I most wanted to see and he was on first. The proof-of-vaccination check-in was quick and easy, and vaccinated people got a wristband to show they didn't have to wear a face covering. The show was held in an outdoor space right in old downtown Las Vegas, right off the Freemont Street strip. By dusk it was clear and warm but not too hot.

From the looks of the crowd, it seemed like pretty much everyone was vaccinated, which meant it really was like going back to a show in the "before times". No other restrictions inside, so people were able to dance and chat and hug all they wanted, which may have been the best thing of all. I just kept thinking "It feels so good to be back."

The lineup and sets were pretty much what I expected -- pretty standard stuff, but a good time. The best moment was in Haliene's live vocal set, when she sang Ferry Corsten's beautiful "Wherever You Are". It was exactly four years before that I saw Ferry Corsten premier his album with that track at Dreamstate in San Francisco, and my friend who was with me then and I both shed a few man-tears hearing it again.

A big downside of the rest of the trip was that Uber and Lyft are way short on drivers right now. It was almost always steep surge pricing and long waits for a pickup (if you could get one at all). That really cut into the weekend plans, including running out of time for any dinner before the show.

The venue for Dreamstate poured huge drinks -- literally strong cocktails in 32oz (~ 1 liter) cups -- which resulted in my friend getting way too intoxicated, lost (he accidentally walked out the exit of the show about 2 hours before the end), and then texting me for help. 🤦‍♂️ So I'm afraid that part of the festival experience is back too. :rolleyes:

Back from Las Vegas, and the Dreamstate event itself was really good. We got there around the time the show started at 7pm, as Jerome Isma-Ae was one of the artists I most wanted to see and he was on first. The proof-of-vaccination check-in was quick and easy, and vaccinated people got a wristband to show they didn't have to wear a face covering. The show was held in an outdoor space right in old downtown Las Vegas, right off the Freemont Street strip. By dusk it was clear and warm but not too hot.

From the looks of the crowd, it seemed like pretty much everyone was vaccinated, which meant it really was like going back to a show in the "before times". No other restrictions inside, so people were able to dance and chat and hug all they wanted, which may have been the best thing of all. I just kept thinking "It feels so good to be back."

The lineup and sets were pretty much what I expected -- pretty standard stuff, but a good time. The best moment was in Haliene's live vocal set, when she sang Ferry Corsten's beautiful "Wherever You Are". It was exactly four years before that I saw Ferry Corsten premier his album with that track at Dreamstate in San Francisco, and my friend who was with me then and I both shed a few man-tears hearing it again.

A big downside of the rest of the trip was that Uber and Lyft are way short on drivers right now. It was almost always steep surge pricing and long waits for a pickup (if you could get one at all). That really cut into the weekend plans, including running out of time for any dinner before the show.

The venue for Dreamstate poured huge drinks -- literally strong cocktails in 32oz (~ 1 liter) cups -- which resulted in my friend getting way too intoxicated, lost (he accidentally walked out the exit of the show about 2 hours before the end), and then texting me for help. 🤦‍♂️ So I'm afraid that part of the festival experience is back too:rolleyes:
That sounds like an amazing time, except having to rescue your friend! Yeah cabs are the only ways around town right now, hopefully that changes soon.

Weekend back clubbing 👌

Friday met friends in town at 2pm and visited a few bars, before heading to Gisburne Park Festival for Sam Divine. You get a hexagon with six chairs, table and food/drink delivered to your pitch. The setting is beautiful, in the grounds of a big house, little river runs across the front of the hexagon - with the stage on the other side.
We paid the lowest entrance ticket which meant we didn't have a good spot, so I've no recollection of the music but we were surrounded by hexagons of friends from our town (no surprise to finds us all in the cheap seats😁) and had a very good catch up. First after party was in a PTs gym, good spot with a sound system then a house party to finish off. Left at a respectable time 4am ish

Saturday - spent time with son

Sunday - we went for brunch at a local spa hotel. Mrs got hair and make up looking good, took dog out and was hit by a massive bird poo 😂😂😂 Basked in the sun at a friend's garden before heading back to the festival for Eats Everything and Mele. We'd paid slightly more for this hexagon and had a decent spot and could actually enjoy the music. Sun was lovely, again there were plenty of friends party. .. was good to be back. Were we due any luck after the bird incident? Mrs was talking to girlfriends about her outfit a d realised she taken her very expensive belt off to use the toilet and left it over half hour ago in the festival toilets... raced back and it was still there 😅 After party until early hours.

Although probably not the official stance, they were a lot more relaxed about staying in your hexagon compared to last year.

Monday - up at 10:30 and felt surprisingly well. Out for lunch, did our covid 'fit to fly' test and played in the garden all afternoon. download.jpeg
Not my pic but gives you an idea of the set up

Weekend back clubbing 👌

Friday met friends in town at 2pm and visited a few bars, before heading to Gisburne Park Festival for Sam Divine. You get a hexagon with six chairs, table and food/drink delivered to your pitch. The setting is beautiful, in the grounds of a big house, little river runs across the front of the hexagon - with the stage on the other side.
We paid the lowest entrance ticket which meant we didn't have a good spot, so I've no recollection of the music but we were surrounded by hexagons of friends from our town (no surprise to finds us all in the cheap seats😁) and had a very good catch up. First after party was in a PTs gym, good spot with a sound system then a house party to finish off. Left at a respectable time 4am ish

Sunday - we went for brunch at a local spa hotel. Mrs got hair and make up looking good, took dog out and was hit by a massive bird poo 😂😂😂 Basked in the sun at a friend's garden before heading back to the festival for Eats Everything and Mele. We'd paid slightly more for this hexagon and had a decent spot and could actually enjoy the music. Sun was lovely, again there were plenty of friends party. .. was good to be back. Were we due any luck after the bird incident? Mrs was talking to girlfriends about her outfit a d realised she taken her very expensive belt off to use the toilet and left it over half hour ago in the festival toilets... raced back and it was still there 😅 After party until early hours.

Although probably not the official stance, they were a lot more relaxed about staying in your hexagon compared to last year.

Monday - up at 10:30 and felt surprisingly well. Out for lunch, did our covid 'fit to fly' test and played in the garden all afternoon. View attachment 11939
I can understand your keenness to get out out, but that looks awful.

I know what you mean but the options are pretty slim. Friends were at Social Avenue Manchester again Friday. Volume very low, had to sit down and stay in the pens - said they could have sat at home listening, chatting to each other and saved some cash.

I didn't think I'd like the set up but it works fine for me, you don't have mess about for a spot or stand in queues for beers.

That social avenue looks beyond terrible. Horrible ‘pens’ and over zealous security by the look of it. Darius S played the inside bit and apparently the council made them kill the volume right down, despite being inside ?! Mad. Also seen a few places over running security with ‘dancing’ etc which is nice to see

I was out in London today for lunch at Pergola in Paddington. Nice idea but seem a bit ‘picky’ at the door just for lunch and some drinks (!!). Usual gentrified thing, food options were good but quality was fairly average. Absolutely roasted in the sun though

That social avenue looks beyond terrible. Horrible ‘pens’ and over zealous security by the look of it. Darius S played the inside bit and apparently the council made them kill the volume right down, despite being inside ?! Mad. Also seen a few places over running security with ‘dancing’ etc which is nice to see

I was out in London today for lunch at Pergola in Paddington. Nice idea but seem a bit ‘picky’ at the door just for lunch and some drinks (!!). Usual gentrified thing, food options were good but quality was fairly average. Absolutely roasted in the sun though
My friends were at the inside gig, said it was good until the police and council turned up. Darius convinced they were OK and the council were wrong, fast forward to this weekend - different friends attended and reported back it was poor.

Around 15 cops turned up at the gig on Sunday, walked around but didn't do anything. Apparently they'd been trouble the night before. Personally didn't see anything close to aggression either night. Anyway the party continued and the police left

Darius S played the inside bit and apparently the council made them kill the volume right down, despite being inside ?
Is the logic around volume of music about people having to shout over it to be be heard and potentially spraying their viral load about. I've no idea about the science around that, but if it is that, then your home TV is as loud!

Weekend back clubbing 👌

Monday - up at 10:30 and felt surprisingly well. Out for lunch, did our covid 'fit to fly' test and played in the garden all afternoon. View attachment 11939

similar story here with all the official events I've been to, felt like being at an awards ceremony... I don't mind it with live music performance but for DJs/party vibes it is a bit absurd.

we had a good weekend at a campsite in Ampolla (Tarragona) near the Delta de L'Ebre. Some seasoned professionals there, mostly Spanish, German or Dutch, huge motorhomes (even motorbikes in horseboxes) Super chilled and a decent 28C.

First BBQs and swims of the year - the beach at Riumar reminded me of Salines a bit, with that wooden roped walkway to the promised land... in fact the whole area did a bit, the flatness of everything and mosquito militias ready to pounce. Totally different water to further north. You can wade out a long way.

The downside was that I don't think I'll be able to drive again any time soon. I need eye surgery to realign my vision and underestimated how difficult the drive would be.

we had a good weekend at a campsite in Ampolla (Tarragona) near the Delta de L'Ebre. Some seasoned professionals there, mostly Spanish, German or Dutch, huge motorhomes (even motorbikes in horseboxes) Super chilled and a decent 28C.

First BBQs and swims of the year - the beach at Riumar reminded me of Salines a bit, with that wooden roped walkway to the promised land... in fact the whole area did a bit, the flatness of everything and mosquito militias ready to pounce. Totally different water to further north. You can wade out a long way.

The downside was that I don't think I'll be able to drive again any time soon. I need eye surgery to realign my vision and underestimated how difficult the drive would be.
Liked for all but the last sentence mate - hope you get that sorted

Is the logic around volume of music about people having to shout over it to be be heard and potentially spraying their viral load about. I've no idea about the science around that, but if it is that, then your home TV is as loud!

The thing is plenty of 'brunches' in Restaurants with very loud music based on what I saw around London yesterday, Daniel Avery gig in London seemed very loud, even a few gigs happening in pubs / bars now based on what I saw yesterday. Legally not sure there is anything in place around volume, just 'guidance'

I think those Manchester gigs have probably been targeted by council officials rather than anything else.

Hope you can get that sorted mate!

Back