Vinyl vs CD vs Laptop

I just love the feel of playing off vinyl more than anything tbh! But Ill be the first one to admit there are some right howlers in amongst the good so I need to filter it out and just keep the s stuff I still like. I do like going through it every now and then just to see how my musical tastes have changed in 13 odd years! Its like a Musical Map of my life!

I agree music changed just like fashion changed. But it is good to go "Back down memory lane" (Minnie Ripperton)

Sasha doesn't use Ableton anymore, he has been back on CDJ's for over a year now. Neither does Nick and last time i saw Digweed he was on CDJ's too.

My view is that it doesn't matter what setup you use, at the end of the day its about the music and how well the set is structured........moving with the times, which obviously allows technological advances like live redits and loops etc, is important....but a lot of people jumped on the 'laptop' bandwagon and it had, in my opinion, a negative affect on their performance. Sasha is the best example of this. Far too many Ableton sets just don't sound right....they sound flat, too over produced and too overly complex.

A good record is a good record....let it play.

Nick Warren
http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=13683

yeah i think its pretty standard for dj's to use ableton or even pro tools for doing compilation mixes (like global underground) but many seem to have gone back to more hands on players for djing

Shows like TATW and ASOT are done in Ableton.
Which makes sense to be honest. But does make me wonder if the DJs do the shows, or they get their staff to do all the mixing etc, and they just do voice overs.

yeah i think its pretty standard for dj's to use ableton or even pro tools for doing compilation mixes (like global underground) but many seem to have gone back to more hands on players for djing

I liked the darren emerson one but most of the GU mixes were pretty sterile, to my ears. I personally prefer hearing live mixes anyway - much more raw 8)

DJ'ing is more than mixing 2 records together so I couldn't care less what they do it on.. it's easy for vinyl snobs to be snobs but what about the young teenage music lover who can't afford vinyl? Should he be condemned for never even trying it? I've seen my favourite DJ's use both and neither makes any difference plus beatmatching on vinyl is not the most diifficult thing in the world (to any snobs out there) try operating on someones brain thats precision

You forgot Ableton, good enough for:

Sasha
Nick Warren
Deadmau5
Daft Punk
Coldcut
Darren Price
Gabriel &Dresden
Henrick Schwarz
Hot Chip
Digweed
Pete Tong
Rennie Pilgrem
Richie Hawtin

... to name just a few!

:oops: Sorry, Ableton too.

Talkin' to friends who have used it they say it is better for production, less DJs more producers - Deadmau5, Daft Punk who are creating music rather than playing pre made tracks.

But yes, Ableton too.

What is used to mix music is more a preference than anything else. I only have a problem with people that technology is doing the work and they are doing nada, Hearing train wrecks all night would do my head in. Having a music selection does not make you a DJ it means you like music. IMHO too much technology distracts from the music

Last edited by a moderator:
What is used to mix music is more a preference than anything else. I only have a problem with people that technology is doing the work and they are doing nada, Hearing train wreck all night would do my head in. Having a music selection does not make you a DJ it mean you like music. IMHO too much technology distracts from the music

again he speaketh the truth!

again he speaketh the truth!

I disagree with that, slightly.
Overuse of technology (e.g. Four decks running on Traktor, each playing a loop) detrracts from the music. :)

Otherwise, Vinyl and CD (MP3 320kb/s), for all intents and purposes, ends up sounding identical. No one is going to notice quality difference, especially people drinking on the dance floor. I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between 256 and 320, but you can between 128 and 320.

I personally don't give a monkeys what format is used - if a laptop can recreate that analogue warmth, then bring it on!

for the record, one of the best sets I ever heard in 20 years in this game - henrik schwarz at plastic people 2006 - was all off a laptop - it might've looked like he was checking his emails, but he was actually creating real drama as all proper HOUSE sets should :twisted:

Back