Vinyl vs CD vs Laptop

Technology has let more people call themselves a DJ. I started in the 80's with wax. I have since started using CD's and digital music because I had to. I have seen people who call themselves DJ'S that could not mix oil and vinegar without the use of technology. The use of serato and the like has made it easier to carry a library of music and drop a classic into a set. To each there own.

Technology has let more people call themselves a DJ. I started in the 80's with wax. I have since started using CD's and digital music because I had to. I have seen people who call themselves DJ'S that could not mix oil and vinegar without the use of technology. The use of serato and the like has made it easier to carry a library of music and drop a classic into a set. To each there own.

is there an archive of your old sets / mixes anywhere ? would be interested to see if our tastes corresponded at all then

is there an archive of your old sets / mixes anywhere ? would be interested to see if our tastes corresponded at all then

Don't laugh but I have stuff on tape. Some of the stuff I use to play Ten city, Jocelyn Brown, D train, and Col Abrams. These are off the top of my head.

Don't laugh but I have stuff on tape. Some of the stuff I use to play Ten city, Jocelyn Brown, D train, and Col Abrams. These are off the top of my head.

I did have loads of tapes but mostly lost now :(

you should upload them for us to hear!

I did have loads of tapes but mostly lost now :(

you should upload them for us to hear!

Same as mine mate, The last one i knew of got sold with my Brothers old Fiesta

+1 on Jays Tapes too

Last edited by a moderator:
Same as mine mate, The last one i knew of got sold with my Brothers old Fiesta

ha, some of my tapes met their deaths in my old Fiesta :lol: the tape deck used to chew them up

It's the radio recordings I really miss - totally irreplaceable

ha, some of my tapes met their deaths in my old Fiesta :lol: the tape deck used to chew them up

It's the radio recordings I really miss - totally irreplaceable

Yeah that was a nightmare trying to wind them back in with a pen or something!

Yeah setting the alarm to record the Essential mix was essential when i was 16 :lol:

I have to find the tapes and a tape player

you should invest in a tape converter - I got an ION EXPRESS tape converter a year or two back - I managed to save some music digitally but it's a really slow business when there's maybe 10mins out of 90 you want - think that's what I would dedicate my time to if ever I went to jail

Yeah that was a nightmare trying to wind them back in with a pen or something!

Yeah setting the alarm to record the Essential mix was essential when i was 16 :lol:

'welcome to the weekend, the weekend has landed, we continue'

I used to have this panasonic twin deck ghetto blaster which I would preset to record the essential mix when I was out but of course the tape was only 90 minutes so you would always miss half an hour - every week for what felt like years

My ex had tapes, but these were special tapes, im sure evn now he adores them and wouldnt get rid for the sentimental value of them. If i remember correctly there were 4 to each case, had their own little slot in a plastic casing thing a bob...

Think they were old skool d n b tapes 8)
Load of pelt if you ask me, i hated the gastly looking things, so shoved them where any woman would, in a cardboard box in a cupboard out of site :lol:

Sound reproduction:

MP3s = not even worth discussing. It's a great shame these things even exist.

Vinyl = Leagues ahead of CD quality (assuming equipment is good) 180g vinyl = outstanding.

CD = Meh.

Vinyl vs CD?

Not much in it tbh because once you account for the mixer and crap cables etc you're sacrificing quality anyway.

If you want to be an audiophile geek you should ditch the mixer and get a bespoke system.

...so go for MP3. Free and takes up less room. :lol:

Disagree.

You will hard pressed to find someone able to hear the differences between an MP3 encoded at 320 kbps, wave or vinyl source.

The most important part of being a DJ is a good musical knowledge and, crucially, the ability to fit that music together to say something. That is why it is still an art form and no one can just call themselves a DJ.

Let me ask the question, if you wanted an extension built and the guy said he could do it the traditional way with a normal saw and srewdriver, or he could do it with a an electric drill and electric cutter in 1/2 the time and of a far better quality, what would you want?

The media used to DJ with isnt relevant. It should be about the music and the final result.

I have used vinyl, cds and now Ableton. People need to move with the times.

'welcome to the weekend, the weekend has landed, we continue'

I used to have this panasonic twin deck ghetto blaster which I would preset to record the essential mix when I was out but of course the tape was only 90 minutes so you would always miss half an hour - every week for what felt like years

I use to record Tony Humphreys from kiss in NYC. I need to convert my wax to digital so I can empty out a room:eek: along with the tapes. I hope they still work.

wax and cd's are on the way out but I love both. The laptop thing is a joke, they might as well put on a compilation CD.

Right,

This is a laptop DJ for you (5x DMC World Champion DJ Craze) and - as I will explain he is not playing records he is a Laptop DJ :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCA4yiPfFIg

IMHO
If you are a boring Laptop DJ it wouldn't make any difference if you play CDs or 12"s

If you are an exciting DJ on CDs or 12"s then you can be a very exciting DJ on Laptop.

I think the term "Laptop DJ" should be explained a little better...

This is my mini potted history.

• Years ago people started on 12"s.
  • Learn and develop their tricks and skills.
  • Very quickly Technics 1210s became the industry standard.

Then CD came out.

• Alot of Wedding DJs went over to this playing off of home HiFi CD Players.
  • Than a few DJ CD players came out TECHNICS SL-P1200 was an early one and Denon Had an OKish unit
  • Most "Credible" DJs looked down on this and we were having this same discussion as now.
  • Then the pioneer cdj 1000 arrived.
  • Within a very short time a big % of DJ went over to CD. Some musical styles suited 12" like hip hop so they stick to it.

Now Laptop.

• Same a CD, it has been around for several years and was kind of naff when it started and like CD the equipment was more for the home DJ/ Wedding DJ. So alot of people quite rightly slagged it off.
  • Then along came Serato and Traktor scratch pro. These did to the laptops what Technics 1210 did to 12"s and Pioneer CDJ 1000 Did to the CD.

IMHO

Serato:
is aimed at the "Old School" DJ (hip hop...) 2 turntables and a couple of tricks. You controll this with "time-coded" 12"s or CDs
So if you don't know it will look like the DJ is playing 12"s or CDs.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NativeI...=serato demo&gclid=CPmt-siN46cCFQoa4Qodj3ZZ9w

Traktor scratch pro( I Use This ).
Is aimed at the more technical DJ. It has 4 decks on it, loops efects and a massive bag of magic tricks. Again it is controll with "time-coded" 12"s or CDs
So if you don't know it will look like the DJ is playing 12"s or CDs.

richie-hawtin

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6n4cy_richie-hawtin-traktor-setup_music

The future.

For me it is Traktor scratch pro with 4 decks playing at onse with a controller unit.
looping and sampling 4 tracks at once.

Next time you go to see
carl cox
pete tong
or any big name DJ, it might look like CDs or 12"s but look for the laptop.

At the end of the day....

It is what comes out of the speakers and how the DJ rocks the room.
How the music gets to the speaker is up to the DJ.

You forgot Ableton, good enough for:

Sasha
Nick Warren
Deadmau5
Daft Punk
Coldcut
Darren Price
Gabriel &Dresden
Henrick Schwarz
Hot Chip
Digweed
Pete Tong