vegetarianism

Johnny Vodka

Thoughts? Are you? Have you tried it? (How long did you last?) Random question of the day, partly inspired by watching the new River Cottage. Some of the grub looked amazing the other night. 8)

Tried it back in my liberal, punk youth.
After 3 days, ordered a burrito at lunch, forgetting there was meat inside. Took a bite and said, 'ah, screw it.'
Now a certified carnivore extraordinaire :lol:

I've cut back to 4 portions of meat/fish a week (since the beginning of the year). It's not that hard to do once you make it a routine and work on some decent recipes. Couldn't go 100% veggie, though - too much pleasure to be found in a rare steak. 8) I think I probably appreciate/enjoy meat more for having it less often.

I've been veggie since 94.

LOVE meat - salivate every time I see it and would love to try steak tartare.

In my view, relentless factory farming shows a huge disrespect to animals. I couldn't kill one so therefore I won't eat one.

I think eating meat farmed in these circumstances demonstrates a really throwaway attitude and gives up all responsibility.

In my view at the very least, everyone should earn the right to eat meat and honour the beast by doing community service in an abattoir for a month.

That's without going into the environmental arguments.

...and I'm also not a vegetarian that wants to get into endless debates about the cause. It gets you nowhere. ;)

You either see this viewpoint, or you don't.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabsolutely no chance of me giving up meat EVER !!!

IMO animals were put on the earth to feed us humans - blunt as that may seem, it was the simplest way i could put my view across :lol:

Buuuuut i can see why people would chose not to eat me.

Buuuuut i can see why people would chose not to eat me.

I'm sure there are loads of people who would like to eat you. ;)

I see where Robder is coming from, but I reckon squeamishness about killing is to do with the way modern society is built. I'm sure kids who are brought up learning how to fish and shoot can do it with little thought, while at the same time having more respect for the enviroment than peeps who buy their meat in Asda.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO animals were put on the earth to feed us humans

If you're arrogant enough to think the world revolves around you (and it may well do!) then the least you can do is demonstrate that stance by getting involved.

There's nowt wrong with eating meat but being so vocal about showing such disregard for the process just highlights lazyness, lack of compassion and a delayed transition into adulthood.

"Animals are there for me"
"Farmers are there for me"
"Mummy does it all for me"

I really respect vegetarians for having the discipline to stick to their principles. It must be really tough to find a decent meal at times.

I've shot and ate pigeons which were ruining a farmer's crops.

I'd shoot and eat rabbits for the same reason, but I wouldn't shoot game for sport alone. (perhaps this is a weak distinction to some - but I can see where the line is)

However I still eat meat from the supermarket, so it's not as if I'd only eat what i killed. Unfortunatly modern life makes this impossible.

I guess it also provides a convenient screen to the ugly realities of the food processing industries.

I was a veggie for about 5 years, went back to eating meat at a reduced level. I eat halal and kosher food, they kill animals in as humane way as possible. I just enjoy meat but can't live without loads of fruit and vegetables. The animals that taste good was made for eating like Vic said.

I naturally inclined towards the taste / texture etc of meat. For me it would feel more un natural trying to only eat fruit n vegetables. Whether i would feel natural going out and killing a cow myself I dont know but i think if that was the only way to do it I rkn i would

I really respect vegetarians for having the discipline to stick to their principles. It must be really tough to find a decent meal at times.

You'd be surprised what's out there when you begin looking at veg, spices, etc. Vegetarian cooking needn't be tasteless and boring. Most of the stuff cooked on the new River Cottage series looks amazing.

I was a veggie for about 5 years, went back to eating meat at a reduced level. I eat halal and kosher food, they kill animals in as humane way as possible. I just enjoy meat but can't live without loads of fruit and vegetables. The animals that taste good was made for eating like Vic said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/2977086.stm

Halal is definitely NOT humane.

djjaycool said:
The animals that taste good was made for eating like Vic said.

Entirely subjective. We're omnivores.

Meat rocks.

Bacon cheeseburger - nearly the perfect food :D

Agree.

But get covered in blood and massacre the thing first.

...or at least express some kinda humble gratitude and respect for the animal before tucking in.

I've not eaten meat since 96 tho I gave up red meat in 93.

I feel fantastic with No meat clogging up my system and without eating all the violence and chemicals and hormones that goes into the process of farming and killing animals. It's barbaric what the mass farming industry does.

I do eat fish now and then but have an ongoing battle with myself about eating it and not eating it! And i even went fishing so I could partake in the process of catching, killing, gutting and then cooking it - and yes I cried!

Robder am liking your comments :)

I''ve been vegetarian for almost 20 years and it's something that I am totally passionate about and believe in. My main reason for being vegetarian by far is for animal rights reasons, and then to a lesser extent for environmental reasons, health reasons and also, I absolutely love vegetarian food. Most people who mock vegetarianism food have never even tried proper vegetarian food and will certainly have never eaten in a good vegetarian restaurant. It makes me laugh that in 2011 some people are still so ignorant about vegetarianism - contrary to what some people think we don't live on vegetables and nuts :rolleyes:

Within 10 minutes walk from where we live in Brighton, there are 2 excellent vegetarian restaurants (one of them Terre a Terre http://www.terreaterre.co.uk regularly wins awards and I challenge any meat eater to visit it and not be won over - even the renowned meat eater AA Gill couldn't stop raving on about the food). We also have 2 vegetarian cafes a stones throw from where we live (again one of these Iydea http://www.iydea.co.uk is so good I could eat here everyday for the rest of my life and not ever get bored of the food) and the icing on the cake is a pub (The Prince George http://www.princegeorgebrighton.co.uk/ ) which serves purely vegetarian food 8)

It's not always anywhere as easy as this to get good vegetarian food - I lost count of the meals I couldn't eat when we were in Asia for 6 months because some chef decided to put a few bits of chicken in my 'vegetarian rice' as a 'treat' :spank: But even if being vegetarian is difficult then I'd rather go without, purely out of principle and because of my beliefs.

Put quite simply, my opinion is that humans don't need meat to live yet by doing so, they are depriving the animal of the basic right of life. And that for me is the most important thing.

^^ yup.

...and those tired "That pig would look lovely on my plate", "bacon sarnies!" retorts we hear so often are bizarre, sick and twisted.

There must be some kind of feeling under that? Or is it a defense mechanism to avoid even having to admit how you really feel?

Brash statements like that are no better than killing an animal and desecrating its corpse in the name of fun. It makes me embarrassed to be human tbh.

The ritual of eating meat should be sacred. Animals aren't put on earth purely for human consumption any more than oil is there to be relentlessly drilled for.

I'm a bit of a Mozza when it comes to this kinda thing - we're quick to cry over mass murder on the news...all the while totally ambivalent to the fact that we've got Auschwitz in our own back yard.

I''ve been vegetarian for almost 20 years and it's something that I am totally passionate about and believe in. My main reason for being vegetarian by far is for animal rights reasons, and then to a lesser extent for environmental reasons, health reasons and also, I absolutely love vegetarian food. Most people who mock vegetarianism food have never even tried proper vegetarian food and will certainly have never eaten in a good vegetarian restaurant. It makes me laugh that in 2011 some people are still so ignorant about vegetarianism - contrary to what some people think we don't live on vegetables and nuts :rolleyes:

Within 10 minutes walk from where we live in Brighton, there are 2 excellent vegetarian restaurants (one of them Terre a Terre http://www.terreaterre.co.uk regularly wins awards and I challenge any meat eater to visit it and not be won over - even the renowned meat eater AA Gill couldn't stop raving on about the food). We also have 2 vegetarian cafes a stones throw from where we live (again one of these Iydea http://www.iydea.co.uk is so good I could eat here everyday for the rest of my life and not ever get bored of the food) and the icing on the cake is a pub (The Prince George http://www.princegeorgebrighton.co.uk/ ) which serves purely vegetarian food 8)

It's not always anywhere as easy as this to get good vegetarian food - I lost count of the meals I couldn't eat when we were in Asia for 6 months because some chef decided to put a few bits of chicken in my 'vegetarian rice' as a 'treat' :spank: But even if being vegetarian is difficult then I'd rather go without, purely out of principle and because of my beliefs.

Put quite simply, my opinion is that humans don't need meat to live yet by doing so, they are depriving the animal of the basic right of life. And that for me is the most important thing.

As stated earlier in this piece humans are omnivores so we need a balance of meat and fruit/vegetables/beans etc.
And to answer your point about depriving animals of basic right of life , well if cows sheep etc weren't bred for food and milk , do you think there would be many of them around?
I myself have tried vegetarian food and i liked it and i totally respect every body is free to follow there own path.I was listening to a talk radio programme last week and it raised an interesting point,if you as a vegetarian went to a wedding/birthday etc more than likely a vegetarian alternative would be provided for you but would you provide a non vegetarian alternative for people coming to an event of yours?

Back