UK Clubs closing at an alarming rate

What! :( My first ever clubbing experience in Leeds.

Mine too. About 50 people remained at 6am Sven was on the decks (or not as he was on the dancefloor with everyone) and the tune was just left to play:eek: unreal night

gutted

Mine too. About 50 people remained at 6am Sven was on the decks (or not as he was on the dancefloor with everyone) and the tune was just left to play:eek: unreal night

gutted

Went to a digital society there, first month or so of living in Leeds, fresh out of uni in London. Amazing night, all in all.

Not UK but close to home, District 8 in Dublin closed its doors for the final time this past weekend. It housed club nights going back many many years under various different names but is now officially gone for good. An apart-hotel will be built in its place. It was quite an underground spot for a long while but sadly succumbed to the young folk in more recent times. A tragic shame to see yet another club shut in Dublin. Especially since it was the most popular one in the entire country.

Just managed to get tickets for closing party (on the sat). Would of much preferred the sunday but she’s used all holidays at work:spank:

I’ve just got my tickets for Sunday will probably try to get down the Friday as well.

Leeds is slowly loosing its clubbing appeal even more so now mint club is shutting its doors.

I’ve just got my tickets for Sunday will probably try to get down the Friday as well.

Leeds is slowly loosing its clubbing appeal even more so now mint club is shutting its doors.

I think i’ve only made the journey to Leeds once out of about 6/7 clubbing trips to go somewhere else than Mint. I still want to check out wire/hifi but it’s a case of right line up at right time. Still love distrikt for pre club as well even if it is a rip off now

It’s no different to any other major uk city, sadly. But it’s starting position is well ahead of most, imo.

Leeds has always had great clubs venues and still does. It still has a really good house scene. It has had loads of terrifc venues over the years that closed like music factory and pleasure rooms and these were replaced but it was not the same without them, imo. Canal mills was a relatively new, rent a night venue to me.

The difference now is that new venues catering for underground music are not replacing them as they once did. But it is the same everywhere and as I say, Leeds starts from a position well ahead of most, of not all the rest, imo. What I felt Leeds always lacked was a really good techno night, especially after orbit in Morley closed.

The uk scene is going to end up being almost entirely festival and one off or periodic events based.

I played a few records with some pals in Leeds a few years back at some bar, which was almost next to Basics - down some alley I think? I met the Clandestino guys when they played in Spain. They were really sound. I think they're doing something now at a place called Sheaf Street (?)

as for where clubbing is going next, a lot of the problems are universal. I think promoters just have to be more imaginative these days. finding the right conditions for a regular party are really hard. so you've got to think about off-the-grid venues - railway arches, disused shops, restaurants, farms, art galleries, film studios and work out which are feasible and have legal loopholes. Seems to me that the safest options tend to be private premises on or near industrial estates/wasteland. England though is a lot more populated than it was, there's more cameras than ever and fewer and fewer undeveloped areas. when i was in London at new year people were telling me there's still stuff happening in Tottenham and Peckham but so many older music heads (esp with families) have given up and moved out and are just doing new things in Kent, Sussex where there is less all round pressure.

Mint club what a place. Martin Buttrich took the roof off sat...

Apparently it didn’t close until Monday afternoon:lol: heard that seth and ricardo were both poor but didn’t catch either so can’t confirm...

A mate from here was there, he's working near Leeds the last few years...he was on his own and loved it. ?

Probably my 6th or 7th time there. Best club i’ve been to by far! Now need to get to Watergate for the similarities. Such a shame it’s closed man:(

Sad to hear about the rooms.. memories!

Just feels like the scene, the good guys are under constant attack..

They want to herd us all into commercial, daytime-only, shitsound, confiscated bottle top, beacons of sanitised dystopia but we must resist..

Why did it close?

There will be more info to come but the jist of it is, increased police scrutiny led to police capping numbers through the door, half of the usual, so no longer a viable business, promoters were struggling to make bookings etc. It leaves a massive void, theres nothing else remotely like it anywhere nearby.

Club 414 in Brixton, London closed recently :(

Had been open for 20+ years. Proper underground little den

Back