UK Clubs closing at an alarming rate

i only went once and hated it. staff were really oppressive. subbie and admiral were way more fun & relaxed in glasgow with a more clued up crowd. going back years though.

My experience of the Arches was that the staff were very lenient. I must have been pretty messy in there on a few occasions. I also liked the size of it: at least a couple of rooms on, plus chill out space. Obviously depends on what the night is too.

Last edited:
In its heyday (late 90s / 00s), the Arches was easily one of the best venues in Europe. Being able to go from intimate theatre shows, to contemporary art (they put on one of Banksy's first shows in the early 00s), to gigs and massive club nights, made it so unique.

I worked in the (daytime) box office in the early 00s whilst at Glasgow Uni and absolutely loved the place. Some club nights may have attracted an interesting crowd but the likes of Patterns, Soma Fridays, Utter Gutter, Fruitfly, were all fantastic and I made friends through those nights who are still some of my closest friends.

I was living in Brighton when it was forced to close in 2015, due to Glasgow City Council's ridiculous attitude to one of the safest venues in the city. Nothing to do with the hotel planning application next door, of course! Reporting and looking after people ironically was their downfall. Rather than turfing people in a bad way into the street.

In its heyday (late 90s / 00s), the Arches was easily one of the best venues in Europe. Being able to go from intimate theatre shows, to contemporary art (they put on one of Banksy's first shows in the early 00s), to gigs and massive club nights, made it so unique.

I worked in the (daytime) box office in the early 00s whilst at Glasgow Uni and absolutely loved the place. Some club nights may have attracted an interesting crowd but the likes of Patterns, Soma Fridays, Utter Gutter, Fruitfly, were all fantastic and I made friends through those nights who are still some of my closest friends.

I was living in Brighton when it was forced to close in 2015, due to Glasgow City Council's ridiculous attitude to one of the safest venues in the city. Nothing to do with the hotel planning application next door, of course! Reporting and looking after people ironically was their downfall. Rather than turfing people in a bad way into the street.

I went to a few gigs there too. Plus it was a nice bar. First visit though was for Alien War at the age of 16. Scary as heck. :lol:

Back