Tipping Bartenders in Ibiza superclubs

In the not so near future - Money in metal/paper form will no longer be a method of payment.

and yet you will still be able to tip...

I think we all agree that ibiza is currently too expensive - that is a separete discussion though and I have a feeling it might change should the season continue the way it's going right now.

but ibiza was never cheap. and so if you come out to ibiza, you know you'll be spending a lot of money. now, if you pay 15€ for a drink, does that 1 or 2€ tip really hurt you? a tenner extra a night and thus maybe 50€ extra for your whole holiday (this is just a calculation I made, 5 drinks a night and going out 5 nights)? will that really be the dealbreaker? I don't think so. on the other hand, for the barmaid/man that has a really low net wage, works 6 nights a week and most of them 7 in august, pays far too much for rent here, that 1or 2€ tip you give, it really does make the difference for them. I have a few really close friends that work in bars or have worked in bars and so I do know first hand.

that said, if the service is really poor or if they do the coins under the ticket trick, then I am a no too. actually always tell them they are shooting in their own foot when they try to do said trick. but it's happened more a few years back, not so much now.

Hardly ever tip people behind the bar unless i'm f***ed and in a good mood and the birds fit. Amnesia closing last year was superb. She bent down to get some ice or something whilst maintaining eye contact at all times, as she started coming back up she started licking her lips. She said €2 for me? Most certainly, make it €10 and you can put that tongue to action properley if you like (did not say that but my god I was dying too) :p

Hardly ever tip people behind the bar unless i'm f***ed and in a good mood and the birds fit. Amnesia closing last year was superb. She bent down to get some ice or something whilst maintaining eye contact at all times, as she started coming back up she started licking her lips. She said €2 for me? Most certainly, make it €10 and you can put that tongue to action properley if you like (did not say that but my god I was dying too) :p

This sort of cheese I dislike and it is also a pure case of muggery in my opinion.

We are all dealt a different hand. Of course we are all entitled to be generous when we feel like it and in Stivi opinion generosity fulfils you by tipping bar staff for the reasons you mentioned. I don't believe it should be the standard in Ibiza regardless of how much you earn or own.
I believe paying 15euro in the first place is hurting you. 2 or 3 of these a night pays for a weeks worth of shopping at home ffs. So no as much as I can afford it I wont be just handing over the odd Euro each time I buy a drink. That odd Euro I hand over can go towards the Taxi's that cost as much as a London black cab

To be honest having worked in bars myself when younger the pay is terrible and the work is hard and repetitive. Also, the work rate of bar staff can have a big impact on your enjoyment of a night out, more so I would say than in a restaurant where tips are commonplace. I always like to tip a couple of quid every now and again whether in a pub/club/bar in the UK or abroad, makes a big difference to the guys working there.

This sort of cheese I dislike and it is also a pure case of muggery in my opinion.

We are all dealt a different hand. Of course we are all entitled to be generous when we feel like it and in Stivi opinion generosity fulfils you by tipping bar staff for the reasons you mentioned. I don't believe it should be the standard in Ibiza regardless of how much you earn or own.
I believe paying 15euro in the first place is hurting you. 2 or 3 of these a night pays for a weeks worth of shopping at home ffs. So no as much as I can afford it I wont be just handing over the odd Euro each time I buy a drink. That odd Euro I hand over can go towards the Taxi's that cost as much as a London black cab
Fully agree

I hope it does - Carrying around spare change is frustrating and cash in general is an inconvenience
Besides - The banks don't even have the money to print in the first place.
I think central banks print the money, coins are what cost more than their face value (small denomination)

Thing is banks want us to go cashless because they get a slice for every transaction. With cash there is just you and person paying it to. Cashless requires a 3rd party middleman... the banks $$$.

Also when payment systems go down you have big queues of people in supermarkets with no way to pay for their goods.

Cashless can also be completely tracked.

Anyhow, on tipping, if end up with €1 or €2 I'm likely to leave it behind, otherwise by end of night I end up with 3 tonnes of change in pockets:rolleyes:

If was waiting for ages or just shit, well I'd keep it.

It's a shame hard working people have to be reliant on such things.

Perhaps should do it with headliner acts, don't pay them just have a massive tip jar at front! :twisted:

Tipping culture is criminal - particularly in the US where it's so ingrained. I don't understand how some industries expect it, whilst in others it's non-existent (there's plenty of other lower paid jobs where tipping doesn't occur). We need to move away from it as a society, and encourage employers to pay their staff the living wage. Especially when - like others say - they themselves are earning mega money.

That said, I think it should be at your discretion. If you have good service, then a €1 or 2 extra isn't going to make a great deal of difference, and it will get you served quicker on repeat visits. Anybody who asks for it, doesn't get it - that's how it works for me. It's a privilege, not a right (unless you're in the US!)
There have been instances where bartenders have taken it without asking in the past. Not on. If you want to swerve this, pay by card and keep some change to tip in addition, should you so wish.

We've all been talking about how expensive the island is - you shouldn't feel pressured into spending any more money, particularly for sub par service.
Thank you for sharing your helpful thoughts .. .. I think I will give 1euro tip for beer .. n 2euros for very good cocktails.. I think it would be very difficult to get drinks from a very busy n loud bar without tips .. On top it I think by the time its 4am ..most of the bartenders will be half drunk and I wouldn't trust them with my credit card

There isn't a tipping culture in Spain and bar staff don't expect it but they will happily take it if offered. However, any place that charges 12€ for a beer can go and bloody whistle if they think I'm tipping their staff.
That's good to know and I agree with u .. I think I'm gonna tip anyways in the beginning just to get faster serving specially in Amnesia

from my experience in Amnesia, the barmaids just take their own tip from your change!

If they think you're too twisted to realise they will chance it for sure... Especially when you hand 10euro note over for a 9euro water. I always wonder why the water seems to be 9euro. Its an odd number to make it

It's on camera.. someone had a hidden camera few years ago going around the clubs acting fckd up leaving phone and wallet on bars..

Back