time warp 2018

right ok...

if we do timewarp we usually go with a group of friends. this year it was only me and my wife which is a little unusal for us, but it turned out a great trip anyway.

got to mannheim just before 10pm saturday, left luggage at the hotel (we'd only booked the room for one night starting sunday but they didn't mind keeping the luggage the night before). had a big pre-club dinner at the hotel and just after midnight we were finally inside timewarp. I was lucky enough to score some bands which enabled us to go backstagte and on the stage too - we didn't really use it for that, but it's a handy one for toilet and bar situations - no waiting time anywhere.

to get into the groove we quickly scanned all floors and got a little bit of magda, margaret dygas, RV&CR and adriatique - who played the sublime ae:ther - arteon (dealing with god) - snippet here (that's from tulum though not timewarp

then we went to floor two for sven. great set - very techy and lots of new music. only a few tracks I already knew and one or two classics - one of them being this one - which is SUCH a tune still:

after sven we went to floor five for laurent garnier who was one hour into his five hour set (at least that was the official plan). now, as most of you here know, laurent hardly plays ibiza anymore - he's not played here in the past few years and it's no secret he's sadly not a fan of the island as us lot. so for me it was clear that I'd spend a big chunk of my time warp time listening to him, pretty much everyone else I can go and see here in the summer, not garnier though and boy what a set it was. typical garnier stuff which is a great mix of current tunes, older tracks, classics - the whole lot. here's a few ones I remember:

maceo plex & gabriel ananda - solitary daze
kölsch - der alte
kölsch - cassiopeia --> this one was around 10 o clock I think when he first seemed to finish...

...and then he started again and continued for another hour and a half. some disco classics, some more current tunes - then, if memory serves right, the penultimate tune he played was, with him on the mic saying 'guys, this is one of the tracks I've played here 25 years ago'
hardfloor - acperience 1

and then, to close it off, the prodigy - out of space.

during the almost 6 hours we were in that floor, lots and lots of DJs, promoters and industry people in general passed by, danced on the dancefloor or paid laurent a quick visit in the booth. the time warp team with steffen at the helm had also prepared some 'thank you laurent for 25 years' t-shirts which they all put on and threw in the crowd - I got one too. it was really a memorable morning in that crystal dome that is floor five.

once he'd finished we went back to floor two for a bit of hawtin - after the daylit session with laurent it was a stark contrast in the very dark hall that is room 2 but the music was great too and lots of hawtin lovers said it was the best they'd heard him in a long time.

for tactical reasons we left a little before it finished - easier to get a taxi. we went back to the hotel all the artists stayed in for a bit (with some of the artists) and then soon made our way to the afters which were held at das zimmer as usual. RV&CR were playing first, then seth a bit, then suddenly sven was on the decks (dropping the utterly beautiful &me - in your eyes) before he got harder.

my wife's batteries were empty by 7pm and I did the wise thing and left with her. I'm sure that without her I'd stayed for a lot longer, but it was a good moment to leave. back to our hotel, shower, dinner and sleep.

both yesterday and today we are feeling surprisingly fresh.

one of the best timewarps I've ever done. I think I've done 6 or 7 now and it just never disappoints. fantastic.

After reading your review I looked up when garnier is playing next and surprisingly it's next Friday @ Oval Space London. Your review got me proper excited to check him out. Never been to Oval Space so hopefully the venue will be decent.

After reading your review I looked up when garnier is playing next and surprisingly it's next Friday @ Oval Space London. Your review got me proper excited to check him out. Never been to Oval Space so hopefully the venue will be decent.
I've posted this flyer many times. Has there ever been a better line up? This was in 95 or 96...I sent Harvey the picture last year and he was well chuffed..

@sat_ The issue with Oval Space always used to be the sound. Far too quiet unless you're front centre!! Laurent obviously has no problem with it though, as he's an annual fixture there. Hopefully that has been rectified in the 5 years since I last went.
I like the team there - real music fanatics. Their weekly newsletters are some of the best industry reading material going.
Enjoy! Im sure it will be super.

I was there all that summer for the Renaissance partys as we could get in free.
remember Digweed playing this first track one night..

@sat_ The issue with Oval Space always used to be the sound. Far too quiet unless you're front centre!! Laurent obviously has no problem with it though, as he's an annual fixture there. Hopefully that has been rectified in the 5 years since I last went.
I like the team there - real music fanatics. Their weekly newsletters are some of the best industry reading material going.
Enjoy! Im sure it will be super.

I will make sure to make my way to front centre, thanks for letting me know haha

I was there all that summer for the Renaissance partys as we could get in free.
remember Digweed playing this first track one night..

Haven't heard that beauty for years, great work!
Renaissance was a fantastic night in Ibiza and all over. Really worked in Pacha with some great DJ's like Fathers of Sound and I thought the night they did in Privilege was good too. A Deep Dish set on the night Kylie performed live is still top 5.

Haven't heard that beauty for years, great work!
Renaissance was a fantastic night in Ibiza and all over. Really worked in Pacha with some great DJ's like Fathers of Sound and I thought the night they did in Privilege was good too. A Deep Dish set on the night Kylie performed live is still top 5.
Yes I was there and I have a funny Mick Hucknel story. I

Back