The Social Festival - Sat 12th September - Maidstone, Kent, UK

Just caught some on Facebook live, wow, they were tearing the roof off. Fingers crossed for more to come, gutted I didn't go down now.

I'll be wearing a Nocturnal Creature tee. Come say hello!

Also looks like I may be interviewing Digweed later. Any Qs from the board?!

Ask him about the old Colors days/nights in Glasgow, just the mention of them will make him smile. Give him his due, he used to right get at it after those nights in the Arches, he used to love the old rave records and I once went to an off licence for him at 10am to buy him a bottle of Buckfast, Remember you cant get a drink in Glasgow before 10am......

Reactions: ric
Just wow. Low numbers early on but Sasha v Digweed was absolutely rocking.

Enzo being groovy, Wetherall going wonky, PK giving his all to a 20%-filled room, Gerber absolutely tearing the place to bits (what a set was so hard to walk out on it), Fanciulli (who I sometimes love and sometimes hate but playing his best) and the cream on the cake .... set from Sasha & Digweed was great - missed 2 minutes for a pee otherwise in heaven for 3 hours straight to lights up. Such a privilege to hear that.

Pretty much the only oldies in Sasha v Digweed's set were the first and last tracks, kicked off with Keiichi Suzuki - Satellite Serenade (Transasianexpress Mix by The Orb) which is the first track of the original Northern Exposure CD, and wrapped up with pitched down Underworld - Dark & Long (Dark Train mix), which is the last. Totally new journey in between. The mixing was amazing.

Hats off to the DJs it really was all about the music. Great to see Ferd and Minimarc again - it's been a while :D.

Last edited:
Really good to catch Alex and to finally meet you MiniMarc :). Apologies if I wasn't on the most talkative mood :rolleyes:

Just showered and ready for round 2 :twisted:

Last edited:
I'm going to be watching Gerd Janson at 3pm will be wearing a claret Nike hoody, come say hi if you're about! Have s good day all!

Surely closing set in the discoteca? Dark and long was such a moment!

:D

Glanced at time on my phone just before the last track came on, was wondering how on earth they were going to end that set. Penny only dropped when I got home they'd programmed it to start & end with the first and last tracks off Northern Exposure to ground it but spiral off into a totally new dimension in between.

Crowd was crying out for it not to be over, even booed the lack of encore, but was a true Masterclass as only they can together and there's no fitting follow-up to something like that at journey's end. Almost all the sound was fresh but the effect it had took me back 25 years or so to when it all really began with them. No idea what tracks I heard in between or where one ended and another began and made no attempt to shazam anything - too busy mesmerized, firmly controlled for 3 hours dancing my nuts off sweating buckets. Not a single gimmick just pure class. Out of touch with their boxes right now so that's likely why but this is what used to set them apart from everyone else & made it really special to be there to hear them play.

Dancing off the last of my early doors boozing & red bulls through to the end but just kept feeling better and better. Self-tested a zero reading in the car but felt high and was still buzzing through a 3 hour drive home straight afterwards that felt like nothing. Anyway, I'll stop raving about it now :lol:.

Last edited:
Paul Kalkbrenner deseverves a medal putting up with that sound!
Enzo Siragusa Played a belter of a warm up set and Guy Berber a big surprise for me too!

On way home now. Rain put a slight dampener on sat, (plus a slightly dodgier crowd) but some good sets to be heard.

Mostly enjoyed Andhim, Solomun, Dubfire and Garnier who played a masterclass!! Decided to leave main room when Cox came on as it was sooooooo hot in there!

Positives
Really good set up, sound system and lighting were amazing especially in the Techno barn
Best sets were for me Joseph Capriati and defo Dubfire, Carl Cox b2b Nic F was ok, finally got into that room after giving up earlier
It was seriously seriously hot in the barn, but I loved that
Didn't think it would be as good as Mote Park, but was proven wrong especially as no sound restriction

Negatives
Bars were a shambles even in VIP, not enough staff and they ran out of drink which was unreal, compared to the last 2, it went backwards, truly aweful

Shuttle bus was a nightmare, took 1.15 mins from queue to Maidstone to get home...it was chaos, really poor management by the company, they didn't have a clue, the stewarding was even worse

In conclusion musically it was the best one yet, I had a really good time, well done white Isle calling lad, it was on point.....now to recover for Clockwork

Bars were a shambles even in VIP, not enough staff and they ran out of drink which was unreal,

Did you go on Friday or just yesterday ? It took about 10 seconds to get served at any of the bars on Friday including the one at the back of the Meadow at its busiest.

Where actually was the VIP btw ? I had a wristband but never actually saw/found it and didn't get round to asking. There's "discreet" and then there's nowhere to be seen lol.

Shuttle bus was a nightmare, took 1.15 mins from queue to Maidstone to get home...it was chaos, really poor management by the company, they didn't have a clue, the stewarding was even worse

1.15 hours ? I pulled up at Maidstone East Station to pick someone up on Friday but they'd managed to get a cab and had already gone by the time I got there - you can't really read text messages and follow Google Maps on your phone at the same time whilst driving safely round somewhere you've never been before ! Gave a group of 4 lads desperate for transport a lift to site instead as there were no taxis, was a joke. They insisted on giving me £30 when we arrived lol - paid for most of my drinks. If I'd shuttled the 7 minutes it took to get to the event from the station a bit I could probably have made a packet :lol:.

Wound up dropping an "Essex girl" and her mate, both done up to the nines, back to somewhere near Chatham on my way back home too - place was full of desperate spangled people trying to get rides I felt really sorry for these two, one of them was in a proper state and the other was doing everything she could to play mum lol.

Last edited:
transport on the friday was def abit haphazard.

Funnilly enough was having a roast with some pals in brixton today and some geezers looking in an utter state borrowed a lighter , turned out they'd been at Social. Clearly had a good time lol

Sounds like saturday was very diff to friday. bar queues never a problem. only problem was remembering which drinks you'd said you'd get people! Sorry Ferd!

transport on the friday was def abit haphazard.

Funnilly enough was having a roast with some pals in brixton today and some geezers looking in an utter state borrowed a lighter , turned out they'd been at Social. Clearly had a good time lol

Sounds like saturday was very diff to friday. bar queues never a problem. only problem was remembering which drinks you'd said you'd get people! Sorry Ferd!

Attachments

• IMG_2634.jpg
    IMG_2634.jpg
    871.9 KB · Views: 5
Kimjay - This was Saturday, I didn't go Friday

VIP was just past a bend opp the a Drum & Bass tent, we had to ask one of the stewards as we couldn't find it either, small gap in the fence with around 4 doorman checking bands, nice area to chill in.

The transport situation was awful sat when it finished, no one new what the hell was going on, it was a free for all, didn't ruin our day by any means, but it was a ball ache

MiniMarc - careful....you actually took a photo whilst you were enjoying yourself, the camera/phone police will have you banned from the forum :eek::eek:

Kimjay - This was Saturday, I didn't go Friday

VIP was just past a bend opp the a Drum & Bass tent, we had to ask one of the stewards as we couldn't find it either, small gap in the fence with around 4 doorman checking bands, nice area to chill in.

The transport situation was awful sat when it finished, no one new what the hell was going on, it was a free for all, didn't ruin our day by any means, but it was a ball ache

MiniMarc - careful....you actually took a photo whilst you were enjoying yourself, the camera/phone police will have you banned from the forum :eek::eek:
haha im normally one of those guys i must have taken a break from stroking my chin!

Only the Meadow & Barn were open on Friday so still no idea where you mean :lol: - but good to know it did at least exist somewhere and wasn't just a myth !

haha im normally one of those guys i must have taken a break from stroking my chin!

There's a certain photo of you clutching a pint and grinning madly in fetching pink-rimmed looky-shades with a laser firing straight out of your finger I must have taken that I promise NOT to post on here too :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Last edited:
The VIP was in the middle bit between barn and meadow. As you went from the barn to meadow, past the console and face painting stall on the left.. opposite the Glamping entrance.

My wife and mates also had nightmare getting back on the Friday. I thought they booked a cab but they obviously hadn't and ended up paying an addison cab cash on hand.

I think they need to book coaches to central London next year. Leaving at 12.30 or something.

Back