The footy !!

I have to agree with you morbyd, i can only see chelsea winning the premier league this year(and i'm a gooner) they have a lot of strength and a big squad.
I can only see liverpool going backwards this season until they get rid of the waiter and get a decent manager, if they lose gerrard or torres for any time they are knackered.
Manure should of got someone in to replace ronaldo a year or so back, cause having giggs and scholes in your midfield is not gonna be good enough to win the title.They are crying out for some creativity in midfield.
And my own dear Arsenal, they will play some lovely football and look good but i fear will come up short once again. i think we need 2-3 players with some experience and we'll be fine, Arshavin will be special.

I have to agree with you morbyd, i can only see chelsea winning the premier league this year(and i'm a gooner) they have a lot of strength and a big squad.
I can only see liverpool going backwards this season until they get rid of the waiter and get a decent manager, if they lose gerrard or torres for any time they are knackered.
Manure should of got someone in to replace ronaldo a year or so back, cause having giggs and scholes in your midfield is not gonna be good enough to win the title.They are crying out for some creativity in midfield.
And my own dear Arsenal, they will play some lovely football and look good but i fear will come up short once again. i think we need 2-3 players with some experience and we'll be fine, Arshavin will be special.

i have to disagree, rafa has been a tactical saviour for us, last year we lost the league as a result of not being able to break down 10-men behind the ball. the difference between winning and losing it was basically minute.

this season he has not been allowed to spend any money that wasn't recouped on the alonso/arbeloa/leto transfers. meanwhile, our rivals in the past seasons have been spending 30 million on single players, regardless of who was sold.

this season he has not been allowed to spend any money that wasn't recouped on the alonso/arbeloa/leto transfers. meanwhile, our rivals in the past seasons have been spending 30 million on single players, regardless of who was sold.
Saw in the Sun today that Chelsea are in 7th place for spending over the past year, behind Man City, Tottenham, Liverpool, Man U, Aston Villa and.... wait for it.... Arsenal! We were probably around the same level last year.

A couple of years of stupid spending (03-05), and then an expensive mistake like Shevchenko (who was bought, I should add, in a year in which little other transfer biz was done), and we've got the moneybags rep.

Liverpool have spent tons, especially over the past 4 years... your only saving grace is that you've been much better than most an recouping money on sales once Benitez has broken the player's spirit (eg. Alonso, Luis Garcia, Keane, Crouch, Gonzalez, etc.)

Arsenal do spend a little money but look at what they get back selling adebayor for 25m is as far as i'm concerned a work of genius and 16m for toure having spent 10m on getting vermalen in before is all good work.
Liverpool have a lot of average players(and having been an arsenal fan for nearly thirty years i know an average player when i see one) look at babel-12m kuyt-11m riera-?m he's spent a lot of money up there and not got a lot for it.
Now let's all join hands and by the power of positive thought we can get somebody to put an offer in for bendtner.

Lucas - the worst brazilian since david blunkett waxed his missus.

Gerrard playing most of the time I was watching (90% of second half) seemingly on the half way line to make way for that german death metal fella with the ponytail & babbeliscious.

Not good. Backward steps so far, no cash to spend & players like Benayoun, Kuyt (and I fear babbeliscious) who were between ace and passable at the end of last season have reached as good as they will get (unlike say the gooners who have potential).

Does Carra think he is Roberto Carlos?

Will we f&ck Mascarano up by asking him to try and be more creative?

i did raise the point of your lack of funds preseason, only to be slapped down by liam telling me that money isnt an issue.

the lack of activity (and squad depth) will be your problem - esp given that you have one week to bring anyone in...

i did raise the point of your lack of funds preseason, only to be slapped down by liam telling me that money isnt an issue.

the lack of activity (and squad depth) will be your problem - esp given that you have one week to bring anyone in...

Happy to have a cheeky £20 with you that Liverpool finish above Spurs...

Poor fella, not only does he have to put up with his team languishing in the league but now he gets owned by a Yank on the subject of soccerball....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

owned??!! :lol:

so i take it you didn't read the article then matt?

chelsea's glorious history sees them 9th behind liverpool (2nd) and about anyone else who has won anything in the last 100 years.

owned??!! :lol:

so i take it you didn't read the article then matt?

chelsea's glorious history sees them 9th behind liverpool (2nd) and about anyone else who has won anything in the last 100 years.
I was not trying to "own" anyone :lol:
Just pointing out the inaccuracy of the "no history" jibe.
9th out of ~100 league teams is not bad at all. Another 5 years and we'll be near the top ;)

I was not trying to "own" anyone :lol:
Just pointing out the inaccuracy of the "no history" jibe.
9th out of ~100 league teams is not bad at all. Another 5 years and we'll be near the top ;)

i know you weren't..:D

although it's difficult to really say for sure without seeing the number each side got.

that said, being behind sunderland and wolves (neither of whom have won anything since before the uppercut became a sending off offence - save sunderland's fa cup win of course) doesn't exactly bode well!!!

Saw in the Sun today that Chelsea are in 7th place for spending over the past year, behind Man City, Tottenham, Liverpool, Man U, Aston Villa and.... wait for it.... Arsenal! We were probably around the same level last year.

A couple of years of stupid spending (03-05), and then an expensive mistake like Shevchenko (who was bought, I should add, in a year in which little other transfer biz was done), and we've got the moneybags rep.

Liverpool have spent tons, especially over the past 4 years... your only saving grace is that you've been much better than most an recouping money on sales once Benitez has broken the player's spirit (eg. Alonso, Luis Garcia, Keane, Crouch, Gonzalez, etc.)

Yes but i also think you'll need to spend big again very soon.. the spine of your team Drogba, Ballack, Lampard, Terry, Carvallo, Deco all the wrong side of 30.

Yes but i also think you'll need to spend big again very soon.. the spine of your team Drogba, Ballack, Lampard, Terry, Carvallo, Deco all the wrong side of 30.
It'll really depend how many of our youngsters pan out.
We've got a bunch of good ones. Sturridge now from Man City, and then our own crew Jack Cork, Franco diSanto, Dutch guy van something (been a long day... memory failing :lol:), Michael Mancienne, Sam Hutchinson, that French kid Kakuta, Sinclair, Stoch, a couple more... Hard to tell who'll make it, especially since we just keep sending them all out on loan! But all top prospects. Fill in a couple of gaps with new buys and we might be alright.

Good to see Ancelloti starting Kalou and giving Sturridge and Hutchinson a few minutes, even if it's at the end of matches. Previous managers ran them out only in May.

grego said:
that said, being behind sunderland and wolves (neither of whom have won anything since before the uppercut became a sending off offence - save sunderland's fa cup win of course) doesn't exactly bode well!!!
True about needing to see all the numbers to fairly evaluate, but keep in mind the study goes back to the 1870s. A quick look shows they'd won the league 4 times before Chelsea was founded.

Wolves had a great run post-war... I only know that because I once ran across their Moscow fan club! Remnants of their glory days...

I didnt slap you :confused: :lol:

Agree partly about squad depth, but only becuase the fringe palyers arent pulling their weight.

But As Greg says, Rafa hasnt been allwoed to spend what he thought (not yet anyhow, maybe something will happen in the next 4-5 days) even after selling Alonso for 30 mill. This is probably due to the ridiculous interest we are paying on our debt that the Kunt yanks promised we wouldnt have :evil: Seriously, THEY need to go, and let some rich Arab take over :p

Happy to have a cheeky £20 with you that Liverpool finish above Spurs...

And me ;)

Ps. Man Utd lost 4 and still won the league !!

This is probably due to the ridiculous interest we are paying on our debt that the Kunt yanks promised we wouldnt have :evil: Seriously, THEY need to go, and let some rich Arab take over
To be fair, the economic situation was a little different when they took over...

I didnt slap you :confused: :lol:

But As Greg says, Rafa hasnt been allwoed to spend what he thought (not yet anyhow, maybe something will happen in the next 4-5 days) even after selling Alonso for 30 mill.

even when he has spent, he's bought players in only to bomb them out after 10 games cos they didnt fit into his system, which makes me wonder how much homework the guy does on potential new signings!

From the Guardian...

Josemi £2m For his first signing as Liverpool manager Benítez turned to a market he knew well, but this right-back from Málaga made just 16 starts in 18 months at Anfield before being sent to Villarreal as part of an exchange deal

Antonio Nunez swap After arriving at Anfield as part of the deal that took Michael Owen to the Bernabéu, the often-injured midfielder gave no hint as to why Real Madrid had signed him but plenty of clues as to why they let him go. Sold to Celta Vigo

Fernando Morientes £6.3m The Spaniard’s capture in January 2005 was hailed as a coup but his form soon led to puzzlement over the deterioration of a player who was once one of Europe’s leading strikers

Jan Kromkamp swap The Dutch replacement for Josemi looked no more at ease than his predecessor and was unable to shift right-back Steve Finnan. He moved on after half a season, returning to his native Netherlands at PSV Eindhoven

Mark González £4.5m Yet another signing from La Liga who failed to find any consistency in England and even had trouble entering the country: the Chilean spent a season on loan at Real Sociedad before moving to Liverpool for just one season

Craig Bellamy £6m After less than a year, only a handful of decent performances and a much-publicised clash with team-mate John Arne Riise, the Welshman was sold to West Ham, though at least the £7.5m meant Benítez made a profit

Jermaine Pennant £6.7m That he was not considered good enough for Arsenal did not dissuade Benítez from imagining the wayward winger as the solution to Liverpool’s problems out wide. Now on loan at Portsmouth

Robbie Keane £20.3m Intended as the final piece in a title-winning jigsaw, the hitherto prolific marksman became a misfit and was ditched after half a season

a lot of the above players have the ability and dont become crap over night. easy enough to say they aint "liverpool" players. - its still up to the man in charge to get the best out of what he's got - and not sulk like a baby who's toys arent good enough.

just look at our lot, pretty much the same as the last few years, but somehow old twitchy has got em playing!

yes you may have finished 2nd last year, but that was then and this is now.

even when he has spent, he's bought players in only to bomb them out after 10 games cos they didnt fit into his system, which makes me wonder how much homework the guy does on potential new signings!

From the Guardian...

Josemi £2m For his first signing as Liverpool manager Benítez turned to a market he knew well, but this right-back from Málaga made just 16 starts in 18 months at Anfield before being sent to Villarreal as part of an exchange deal

Antonio Nunez swap After arriving at Anfield as part of the deal that took Michael Owen to the Bernabéu, the often-injured midfielder gave no hint as to why Real Madrid had signed him but plenty of clues as to why they let him go. Sold to Celta Vigo

Fernando Morientes £6.3m The Spaniard’s capture in January 2005 was hailed as a coup but his form soon led to puzzlement over the deterioration of a player who was once one of Europe’s leading strikers

Jan Kromkamp swap The Dutch replacement for Josemi looked no more at ease than his predecessor and was unable to shift right-back Steve Finnan. He moved on after half a season, returning to his native Netherlands at PSV Eindhoven

Mark González £4.5m Yet another signing from La Liga who failed to find any consistency in England and even had trouble entering the country: the Chilean spent a season on loan at Real Sociedad before moving to Liverpool for just one season

Craig Bellamy £6m After less than a year, only a handful of decent performances and a much-publicised clash with team-mate John Arne Riise, the Welshman was sold to West Ham, though at least the £7.5m meant Benítez made a profit

Jermaine Pennant £6.7m That he was not considered good enough for Arsenal did not dissuade Benítez from imagining the wayward winger as the solution to Liverpool’s problems out wide. Now on loan at Portsmouth

Robbie Keane £20.3m Intended as the final piece in a title-winning jigsaw, the hitherto prolific marksman became a misfit and was ditched after half a season

a lot of the above players have the ability and dont become crap over night. easy enough to say they aint "liverpool" players. - its still up to the man in charge to get the best out of what he's got - and not sulk like a baby who's toys arent good enough.

just look at our lot, pretty much the same as the last few years, but somehow old twitchy has got em playing!

yes you may have finished 2nd last year, but that was then and this is now.

Apart from Keane, all of the above bought for very little in todays market, and Keane wasnt bought by Rafa, Rick Parry bought him without consulting Rafa, hence him getting the boot and rafa getting more power. He has used what little he was given, and normally its not been a huge ammount, Torres and Keane aside.

The rest just didnt work out, and to be fair to Rafa he fooked them off rather than letting them rot like Houllier did. Bellamy was just a knob, but worth a gamble all the same.

He has also made decent money on alot of players, unlike monsieur Houllier. And His Net spending isnt anywhere what people think.

As for your lot, Twitchy has spent a fair fortune in the little tiem hes been there, and you previous two spent tonnes :eek:

Back