The end of the West End?

The S.A. mayor just said on the local TV nobody likes the W.E. the way it is but also admitted it's not the right time for bar owners to invest to change their business model for this upcoming summer. Next winter, he says...

If you watch the video on post #11 you'll see the (local) bar owners are the first to admit they don't like it, same with (local) shop owners or (local) neighbours. I don't think the opinions of summer residents or holidaymakers will be taken into consideration when it comes to decide the future of the town...

Resume of last night's interview here.

Duane Lineker talks abouts the West End, about Pepe Rosello and his mission to finish with daytime parties, etc...

—¿Cuándo empezó a funcionar?

—2014. Ese año encontramos un buen equipo de trabajadores, pusimos en marcha los animadores, los acróbatas. En 2014 empezó a funcionar muy bien.

Duane Lineker talks abouts the West End, about Pepe Rosello and his mission to finish with daytime parties, etc...

People mock the Lineker's but I feel they are good trend spotters, Wayne of course spotted the trend for sports bars in the late 80s (helped by his brothers fame of course) theyve then wound that down and only kept the more upmarket ones in Ibiza and Puerto Banus.

They then of course spotted the Vegas Beach Club trend when several in Ibiza missed it (I've wondered before if Es Paradis could have utilised its retractable roof during the day for at least one day a week) they are now going with a 'pool party but for slightly older people' angle with Bambuku which just might work too.

I also think Duane is correct with this bit: "all of this is now more fashionable and we are going back to social media. People want to take photos on these sites to make their friends from England or Germany who can't be here envy. A photo in Cala Bassa is much more attractive than a photo in the West End"

2014 was about the time Instagram seemed to really take off, so that's a factor in the West Ends decline and OBeach's success too.

2014 was about the time Instagram seemed to really take off, so that's a factor in the West Ends decline and OBeach's success too.
I think I would disagree. The West End's decline has more to do with the age demographic of people visiting the island which has risen as the place has generally become more expensive and the tour companies aimed at late teens/early 20's have gone, coupled with the neglect of the authorities. Older people are far less tolerant when it comes to being hassled every 5 steps by looky men, manky prostitutes or having to keep their eyes in the back of their heads to avoid pickpockets and other assorted shijsters. Older people are more likely to venture off for places that are far less hassle.

The rise of places like Ocean Beach has coincided with a general superficiality in Western society today where image is everything and substance is an afterthought. A prime example is the rise of the Kardashian clan who have made superficiality and making sure there are plenty of photos of it an industry in it's own right.

. A prime example is the rise of the Kardashian clan who have made superficiality and making sure there are plenty of photos of it an industry in it's own right.
i dont follow them (promise) but did you see the shit going round this week on socials? They are everything thats wrong with this generation

I used to be more critical of them (K's), but women pushing sexuality have always gotten lots of attention from men and other women since the dawn of time. This is nothing new. At least they own/control it. People underestimate them, but two of them are now officially billionaires (with a "B").

Madonna was doing her version of it in the 80s and Josaphine Baker in the (19)20's. These girls get a much better deal today.

If you don't like them, blame advertising and marketing. "Don't hate the player..."

i dont follow them (promise) but did you see the shit going round this week on socials? They are everything thats wrong with this generation
Not quite everything, but it’s both extraordinary and nauseating how Kim is a billionaire. She has no discernible talent for anything whatsoever. She simply got spotted, is incredibly well managed and whoever has set up her network and made her life decisions must have the insight of a nuclear scientist. It’s a shame those skills are not put to better use. But I’d rather not have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ if it means everting in your life I’d fake and plastic. Imo that isn’t living.

Last edited:
Not quite everything, but it’s both extraordinary and nauseating how Kim is a billionaire. She has no discernible talent for anything whatsoever. She simply got spotted, is incredibly well managed and whoever has set up her network and made her life decisions for her must have the insight of a nuclear scientist. It’s a shame those skills are not put to better use.

Bit like most DJs then ? 😂

Back