The end of the West End?

"the flash point streets which were closed down due to excess alcohol and anti social behaviour which put people’s health and safety at large in danger, be they fellow holiday makers or residents, they will not be allowed to open and continue operating as they have been for decades", says the central government delegate to the Balearics regarding Magaluf, Playa de Palma and the West End...

"the flash point streets which were closed down due to excess alcohol and anti social behaviour which put people’s health and safety at large in danger, be they fellow holiday makers or residents, they will not be allowed to open and continue operating as they have been for decades", says the central government delegate to the Balearics regarding Magaluf, Playa de Palma and the West End...

So in essence they want to bin off the 20 something drunkard crowd?

Hope there is enough 40 something drunkard crowd to replace them ?

So in essence they want to bin off the 20 something drunkard crowd?

Hope there is enough 40 something drunkard crowd to replace them ?
As has been said before, where is the next generation coming from? Was going to take my daughter for her first girls holiday but wont without cheap nights at the West End. What 19 year olds can afford a week.of clubbing without the West End for to stretch the budget? And where will they get laid??

As has been said before, where is the next generation coming from? Was going to take my daughter for her first girls holiday but wont without cheap nights at the West End. What 19 year olds can afford a week.of clubbing without the West End for to stretch the budget? And where will they get laid??

I've mentioned this as a concern before, even in the years I've been going I've seen more groups nearer 30 than they are 20 in Ibiza, West End included. If there isnt a new intake of young people each year Ibiza could become middle aged very quickly.

I've mentioned this as a concern before, even in the years I've been going I've seen more groups nearer 30 than they are 20 in Ibiza, West End included. If there isnt a new intake of young people each year Ibiza could become middle aged very quickly.
I'm pretty sure that's what they want. Middle-aged, middle income, staid people who have never sworn, taken drugs or even broken a speed limit in their entire lives.

I'm pretty sure that's what they want. Middle-aged, middle income, staid people who have never sworn, taken drugs or even broken a speed limit in their entire lives.

Which works fine, for a while...but there comes a point when even the rich middle aged become old aged. And not a lot of hope of younger people becoming rich in this climate, young generations still haven't fully recovered from 2008.

I once went to Fuengirola in the Costa Del Sol and while the resort itself was fine and it was a good place to go see both Malaga and Gibraltar. I have never seen so many elderly Brits in one place! I'm sure my late Nanna's nursing home had younger vibe! Even the hotels entertainment cut out at 9pm for bedtime.

It’s true as I’ve got older the west end is far less frequently visited now than in those early years!
But it’s horses for courses! At 18 on a tight budget when the price of clubbing seemed outrageous we would regularly use the cheap prices there to get us in the mood!

Even now if I head down to Mambos I usually stop and have a quick beer in passing somewhere near the bottom just to take stock and remember them early trips!

I don’t know if it’s because I’ve aged but last September I remember thinking it was more run down than I last remembered!

It’s true as I’ve got older the west end is far less frequently visited now than in those early years!
But it’s horses for courses! At 18 on a tight budget when the price of clubbing seemed outrageous we would regularly use the cheap prices there to get us in the mood!

Even now if I head down to Mambos I usually stop and have a quick beer in passing somewhere near the bottom just to take stock and remember them early trips!

I don’t know if it’s because I’ve aged but last September I remember thinking it was more run down than I last remembered!

It has got quieter and while the established bars have been there ages a few lesser known ones have barely lasted a season of late. The change from a 6am finish to inside at midnight had a big effect. It stopped the West End being a night out in its own right, really the last few years you had to be on a Discobus or Taxi out of there by 12:30 or spending time in a cramped, often smelly bar wasn't great

My last trip to the West End involved my friend walking out of the Amsterdam Bar minus his shoes with neither of us having a clue where they might have gone. He proceeded to ask anyone who would listen if they knew where they might be, I recall the prostitutes down the front were particularly disinterested in his predicament. I think that's how I'd like to remember the place

Last edited:

Problem is it's far cheaper to go to Greece, Aiya Napa, Tenerife and (at least for the time being) Majorca. Cheaper hotels, cheaper drinks, cheaper food, cheaper clubs and cheaper activities. That's where 'da yoof' go these days, not because they are in any way better but simply because they are much more affordable for youngsters on a budget.

Problem is it's far cheaper to go to Greece, Aiya Napa, Tenerife and (at least for the time being) Majorca. Cheaper hotels, cheaper drinks, cheaper food, cheaper clubs and cheaper activities. That's where 'da yoof' go these days, not because they are in any way better but simply because they are much more affordable for youngsters on a budget.

True but it was the same when I was 18. Unless you already had an appetite for the music and the rave! In which case you worked hard and saved harder!

I think for the foreseeable future ibiza won't want 19yr old spunk trumpets let loose on the island.. they will want people 30+ well behaved, social distancing and happy to sit watching a DJ play a sunset and off back to your room..

Thats what they want since 40 years. Look at ibiza past and you will see what they want. Not people who make trouble , but people who spend a lot of money and have parties .

“What we have to move away from is depending on the police to solve the problem"
If they had've policed the place properly all these years maybe it wouldn't have ended up the way it has

Back