The end of the West End?

Just seen a a photo of the West End and they seem to be covering it in tarmac. Was that the plan? Or is that PlanB because they don't have the new paving done in time?
That's how it will stay this summer. No new paving until the winter...

After reading the various differing opinions on this thread I can see both sides of the argument regarding what the west end was and is likely going to become. I fully understand that residents are sick of 20 something year old Brits coming and vomiting down their streets for 6 months a year. However, as someone who lives in a English seaside town that has spent the last decade shaking off the all you can drink/stag doo culture and opening cocktail bars in an attempt to improve the clientele, I can say be careful what you wish for. It hasn't really changed the clientele or stopped people getting pissed up. All it's done is made the weekend millionaires spend more then get hammered and start scrapping. Where as for normal people that just like to go out and let off some steam and cause no drama whilst doing so are just having to pay three times the price they used to for their evening out. Say what you want about the west end down the years but me and my missus find great entertainment in sitting outside the bars till the wee hours watching the hilarity ensue. Replacing it with so called "VIP" or "luxury" bars that think because they've put some neon lights on the wall for girls to pose next to for their Instagram that this suddenly means it's elegant and warrants £9 a beer, sound like a pretty dull evening out in my opinion. Just hope they get the balance right and meet in the middle as I've been doing Ibiza since I turned 20 and am now in my mid 30's. I'm just hoping they don't drag all the soul out of San an.

After reading the various differing opinions on this thread I can see both sides of the argument regarding what the west end was and is likely going to become. I fully understand that residents are sick of 20 something year old Brits coming and vomiting down their streets for 6 months a year. However, as someone who lives in a English seaside town that has spent the last decade shaking off the all you can drink/stag doo culture and opening cocktail bars in an attempt to improve the clientele, I can say be careful what you wish for. It hasn't really changed the clientele or stopped people getting pissed up. All it's done is made the weekend millionaires spend more then get hammered and start scrapping. Where as for normal people that just like to go out and let off some steam and cause no drama whilst doing so are just having to pay three times the price they used to for their evening out. Say what you want about the west end down the years but me and my missus find great entertainment in sitting outside the bars till the wee hours watching the hilarity ensue. Replacing it with so called "VIP" or "luxury" bars that think because they've put some neon lights on the wall for girls to pose next to for their Instagram that this suddenly means it's elegant and warrants £9 a beer, sound like a pretty dull evening out in my opinion. Just hope they get the balance right and meet in the middle as I've been doing Ibiza since I turned 20 and am now in my mid 30's. I'm just hoping they don't drag all the soul out of San an.

Agree, Faliraki is also an example where they clamped down on the excess 20 years ago after all the Club Reps type TV shows got it unwanted attention, as far as im aware its now a ghost town, there are nicer places to go in Rhodes and theyve lost one market and not attracted a new one.

One thing in San An's favour is it will always have the Sunset as a draw though.

Agree, Faliraki is also an example where they clamped down on the excess 20 years ago after all the Club Reps type TV shows got it unwanted attention, as far as im aware its now a ghost town, there are nicer places to go in Rhodes and theyve lost one market and not attracted a new one.

One thing in San An's favour is it will always have the Sunset as a draw though.
Faliraki is the example I always use. Agree about the sunset. Think that's what makes me keep coming back. I'm going the final Ibiza trance week this year. Think it may be my last hurrah party holiday wise but I've been saying that for 6 years now so who knows ha

30 years ago Portinatx was mostly a 18-30 resort with 3 night-clubs, a lot of night bars and pubs, the place was partying all night.
When they decided to change it to an only family oriented place, it worked perfectly...

Didn't know that!

But the big question is even if the West End was replaced with an upmarket family friendly centre, why would families choose it over Santa Eulalia, Portinatx, Port Sant Miguel and all the other Spanish and Greek resorts? Even the Bay is competition to the town itself

100%

The West End doesn't have the right kind of charming, old buildings and atmosphere to become a destination for upmarket tourism. It's too bland, not old enough and without the kind of community buildings (castle, cathedral, opera/theater, museums etc) to be really attractive.

But it should be possible to elevate things somewhat above the Magaluf-levels of degradation and debauchery that was common until the pandemic.

The West End doesn't have the right kind of charming, old buildings and atmosphere to become a destination for upmarket tourism. It's too bland, not old enough and without the kind of community buildings (castle, cathedral, opera/theater, museums etc) to be really attractive.

But it should be possible to elevate things somewhat above the Magaluf-levels of degradation and debauchery that was common until the pandemic.
It’s always been fun, youre right to say it’s not charming, but it is what it is

the Magaluf-levels of degradation and debauchery that was common until the pandemic

It might be unfair but while things like this continue happening the Government's focus will be on destinations like San Antonio and the West End in particular...

Didn't know that!

But the big question is even if the West End was replaced with an upmarket family friendly centre, why would families choose it over Santa Eulalia, Portinatx, Port Sant Miguel and all the other Spanish and Greek resorts? Even the Bay is competition to the town itself
There's a ridiculous amount of quality restaurants in San Antonio Town, loads of activities (watersports, boat trips etc), quality beaches in easy reach and it's so easy to get to other parts of the island for day trips etc from there.

It might be unfair but while things like this continue happening the Government's focus will be on destinations like San Antonio and the West End in particular...

See what I mean. Pointing their finger to "Magaluf y Playa de Palma, en Mallorca, y Sant Antoni, en Ibiza"...

I don’t think I’ve ever met a single person who comes to San Antonio to see cathedrals, go to the opera or museum 🤷‍♂️

There are many other places you can go to do that type of thing. San An has so many other things about it that always has and always will attract people.

I don’t think I’ve ever met a single person who comes to San Antonio to see cathedrals, go to the opera or museum 🤷‍♂️

There are many other places you can go to do that type of thing. San An has so many other things about it that always has and always will attract people.
Indeed. The only reason to go to the West End is for partying.

If they get rid of the partying scene, the West End will end up as a decaying and forgotten backwater. The rest of San An will survive just fine.

Well, I guess rich people will always want rich people to front…there needs to be a bit of perspective and balance I would think? The fact she’s mentioning the UK (and I have no affiliation) shows the size of the market she’s playing with. Saying that, I’m not a resident and would never get involved with peoples choices.

Back