take that

x-amount said:
Whilst it's not a 'water in the desert' (apols - forgot bit in your post), being snatched of the chance to go see your fave band is pretty low. And what about the 'screaming kid' that now can't go? The pain that they'll go through, just so grego can earn a few quid?

Stop me if I'm wrong.

If you can't see that him buying tickets for money, and thus denying a fan (whilist not directly the case, though in a roundabout way) the chance to go is immoral, then I'm bemised. Especially a place with such highly strung fans/occaision like re-living their youth. Fairplay if you're playing devil' but it is wrong IMO.

So where's the cut off point where it becomes immoral to make money out of something someone else really likes: their favourite food/band/football team?

I'm to having my opinion changed, but if this is wrong, then what's ok? What commodities (as these tickets are) is ok to speculate to accumulate on?

The crying kid's a red herring Danielsan. By that argument MacDonalds should give fat kids burgers for nowt if they can't afford 'em!

So where's the cut off point where it becomes immoral to make money out of something someone else really likes: their favourite food/band/football team?

I'm to having my opinion changed, but there's this wrong, then what's ok? What commodities (as these tickets are) is ok to speculate to accumulate on?

The crying kid's a red herring Danielsan. By that argument MacDonalds should give fat kids burgers for nowt if they can't afforf 'em!

Buckers think of your FAVOURITE FAVOURITE BESTEST BESTEST band in the whole wide world, or maybe Anna's BESTEST BESTEST group who she's liked for aaaages and you were trying to suprise her with tickets.
They were performing a one off concert in London, you frantically tried buying tickets, you done everything right, logged on at the right time etc etc, but they sold out before you could get through.
Then someone logged on Spotlight going "just bought 12 tickets for *insert favourite band here*, hoping to make some ££££ out of them!".

Please don't tell me you'd still have this "fair do's" opinion?! :confused:

Beckiboo said:

I'm to having my opinion changed, but there's this wrong, then what's ok? What commodities (as these tickets are) is ok to speculate to accumulate on?

The crying kid's a red herring Danielsan. By that argument MacDonalds should give fat kids burgers for nowt if they can't afforf 'em!

Buckers think of your FAVOURITE FAVOURITE BESTEST BESTEST band in the whole wide world, or maybe Anna's BESTEST BESTEST group who she's liked for aaaages and you were trying to suprise her with tickets.
They were performing a one off concert in London, you frantically tried buying tickets, you done everything right, logged on at the right time etc etc, but they sold out before you could get through.
Then someone logged on Spotlight going "just bought 12 tickets for *insert favourite band here*, hoping to make some ££££ out of them!".

"How much for two pal? Meet at South Mimms services at 7pm C.O.D. Cheers"

Buckley said:
x-amount said:
Whilst it's not a 'water in the desert' (apols - forgot bit in your post), being snatched of the chance to go see your fave band is pretty low. And what about the 'screaming kid' that now can't go? The pain that they'll go through, just so grego can earn a few quid?

Stop me if I'm wrong.

If you can't see that him buying tickets for money, and thus denying a fan (whilist not directly the case, though in a roundabout way) the chance to go is immoral, then I'm bemised. Especially a place with such highly strung fans/occaision like re-living their youth. Fairplay if you're playing devil' but it is wrong IMO.

I'm to having my opinion changed, but if this is wrong, then what's ok? What commodities (as these tickets are) is ok to speculate to accumulate on?

The crying kid's a red herring Danielsan. By that argument MacDonalds should give fat kids burgers for nowt if they can't afford 'em!

Situation. The situations are all different and I find your comparisons and over-principling of the situation inconducive to a logical arguement.

Think about the particular situation and what happened. Not the fat kid in McD's. And it's not a commodity as such, merely the 'ticket to an experience'. And emotion or a memory.

Whilst I'm certainly not the nicest guy in the world, the, for want of a better word, agony, of not going to see my childhood heroes would be pretty bad, and it's not something I could do to another person. Especially when you consider the pre-meditation and effort in selling them.

Would it be better if they jut raffle off the tickets to the highest bidder? Would that please you (you heartless c*nt ;))?!

(BTW grego, I got no massive personal issue with you, so please don;t feel like I'm condemning you as a person too much ;))

Buckley said:
Beckiboo said:

"How much for two pal? Meet at South Mimms services at 7pm C.O.D. Cheers"

*Buckley to self*

"Thank god I'm old enough to have a reasonable job and can afford to pay this rip off merchant £250 for two tickets!"

x-amount said:
Would it be better if they just raffle off the tickets to the highest bidder? Would that please you (you heartless c*nt ;))?!

Sounds reasonable. I'm willing to stand the marketing costs for a 300% return.

Again - at what point does it become unreasonable to profit from someones nostalgia (to use you logic that it matters because it means something to you)?

Beckiboo said:
*Buckley to self*

"Thank god I'm old enough to have a reasonable job and can afford to pay this rip off merchant £250 for two tickets!"
When I was in school and didn't have a lot of $$ there were a couple of times I camped out at the ticket office to get tickets to see The Cure.

While I realize that's more difficult in the world of web- and tele-sales, you do what you need to do to get tickets at face value. If you fail to do so, that's what kind people like Grego are for!

Buckley said:
x-amount said:
Would it be better if they just raffle off the tickets to the highest bidder? Would that please you (you heartless c*nt ;))?!

I'm not sure what you mean?

Buckley said:
at what point does it become unreasonable to profit from someones nostalgia (to use you logic that it matters because it means something to you)?

Each on its own merits. It's not all black and white, morals normally aren't.

This is beyond that point. Feel free to throw up any other instances for my opinion on them.

Morbyd said:
Beckiboo said:
*Buckley to self*

When I was in school and didn't have a lot of $$ there were a couple of times I camped out at the ticket office to get tickets to see The Cure.

While I realize that's more difficult in the world of web- and tele-sales, you do what you need to do to get tickets at face value. If you fail to do so, that's what kind people like Grego are for!

What do you think of cartels (non-drug ones)?

Import tariffs?

Slave labour?

(All genine questions)

x-amount said:
Morbyd said:
Beckiboo said:
*Buckley to self*

Import tariffs?

Slave labour?

(All genine questions)

get off yr sopabox man!!!

when you buy weed, pills beak or whatever.....whos pockets are you lining then?? fookin hypocrite!!

x-amount said:

Import tariffs?

Slave labour?

(All genine questions)
I think I'll take a pass on this quiz, Dan. I'm sure you will use my answers alongside some of your own examples of analogous situations in a vein attempt to try to prove that you're right on this particular issue.

Your examples will be no more valid than Buckley's, in anyone's mind but your own. I think I'd prefer to let his analogies stand because, despite your dismissal of them, I believe the most valid argument available on this issue has already been made.

jjinit said:
x-amount said:
Morbyd said:
Beckiboo said:
*Buckley to self*

Import tariffs?

Slave labour?

(All genine questions)

get off yr sopabox man!!!

when you buy weed, pills beak or whatever.....whos pockets are you lining then?? fookin hypocrite!!

I'm not talking about my drug taking. I'm talking about buying tickets and then selling them for a hugely inflated profit.

x-amount said:
Buckley said:
x-amount said:

I'm not sure what you mean?

Buckley said:
at what point does it become unreasonable to profit from someones nostalgia (to use you logic that it matters because it means something to you)?

Each on its own merits. It's not all black and white, morals normally aren't.

This is beyond that point. Feel free to throw up any other instances for my opinion on them.

First bit was me pretending I'd be happy to front the marketing costs of the raffle idea. Missed a word though so didn't make sense.

Agree 100% that I'm opining as though it's black and white (and you're right that there's a bit of devil advocate playing involved) but I do actually think it's not that wrong. It is only a concert and a concert by a re-formed manufactured band, luxury product through and through, wanted but not needed.

I think the fact that you can still buy tickets for most of the extra Take That dates for normal price on ticketmaster etc means that a lot of people who've bought tickets in the hope of selling them on to make a quick £££ might be a bit disappointed :lol:

Barbie said:
I think the fact that you can still buy tickets for most of the extra Take That dates for normal price on ticketmaster etc means that a lot of people who've bought tickets in the hope of selling them on to make a quick £££ might be a bit disappointed :lol:

mrs jjinit is on the front row for the wembley arena gig, I paid some bloke called grego £300 a pop!!!

Morbyd said:
x-amount said:

Import tariffs?

Slave labour?

(All genine questions)
I think I'll take a pass on this quiz, Dan. I'm sure you will use my answers alongside some of your own examples of analogous situations in a vein attempt to try to prove that you're right on this particular issue.

Your examples will be no more valid than Buckley's, in anyone's mind but your own. I think I'd prefer to let his analogies stand because, despite your dismissal of them, I believe the most valid argument available on this issue has already been made.

They are capitalism at it's purist no? Your beloved capitalism?

Would I not be right in thinking you probably don't want to answer because you know I'm right on this one?

At least admit how someone could construe your post as a bit of a "lalala I don't want to hear the truth *sticks head in sand*"

I know this is only a clubbing message board, and we're all keRaZeY ravers who are the most chilled, laid back, people on the planet, but if we're gonna debate, we're gonna debate. There's not a lot else to talk about FFS, I've even entered he teasmaid thread.

Barbie said:

Quite possibly. So those whose speculate to accumulate have earned (or lost :lol: ) by taling risk with their capital.

Back