swine flu?

I have been quite dismissive of swine flu, it's just the flu at the end of the day. I know that tragically some people have died of it recently, even one poor little girl who had no other underlying health problems. Consequently the media has whipped us all up into a frenzy, but I would be interested to know how many people die each year in the UK from "flu" that we dont have plastered all over the news? :confused:

i know about half a dozen peeps who contracted it in the last 4 weeks .... took that tami flu stuff and are all now fine...
one of the guys had it at my wedding reception 2 week ago, had other guests tested who were at his table who had symptoms but all were ok ....

people who are dying with it have been found to have another dignosis problem with them at the time!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing I want to know is though if you suddenly feel ill, you cant go to the docs as they apparantly dont want you in there, a "flu friend" has to go for you - so how can you tell if you do have it? Do you have to diagnose yourself? :lol:

If you think you've got it, your GP will just prescribe Relenza or Tamiflu which are both antiviral treatments to flu.

Similar to bog-standard flu and regardless of whether or not you catch it early, Swine Flu will put you on your arse for a few days.

A vaccine to prevent swine flu will be available in a couple of months. Unfortunately Relenza and Tamiflu are only effective when you become ill and cannot be used to avoid getting it.

You stand as much chance of getting this as of getting any other type of flu (when it chooses to do the rounds) and despite it being more severe by way of effect than budget-flu in all likelihood you'll live to tell the tale.

If however, you start coughing up blood, shrieking uncontrollably and poking people's eyes out with your thumbs, this is most likely to be Rage Virus from 28 Days Later and you should panic immediately

I really don't want to catch Swine Flu in Ibiza... Got Balearic Flu last time and that was horrific enough, Swine Flu could easily ruin a major portion of the holiday. Knowing the state my immune system is gonna be in after a few days I can't help but fear the worst :(.

I can't stop busting the roundhouse...I must have Kung Flu...

(enter the internet forum colloquial equivalent asterisk denoting a guided shift to the third person narrative)

*re reads gag and decides to leave in on the count that its only a weds*

I've arrived back from 11 days in sunny Croatia with flu-like symptoms!! Swine flu or the effects of 11 days drinking??

The thing I want to know is though if you suddenly feel ill, you cant go to the docs as they apparantly dont want you in there, a "flu friend" has to go for you - so how can you tell if you do have it? Do you have to diagnose yourself? :lol:

I wish I had kept my gob shut yesterday - one of my staff was feeling ropey all day - sickness and the squits also aching all over, headaches and a temp - I sent her home about mid afternoon,.

She's just called me to say the person she was out with on Monday night has been feeling as bad as she was and went to the docs yest - she has Swine Flu and so has her mother, so its looking kind of likely that more of my staff are gonna come down with it.....

She called the Drs this morning and she has been told to stay in and a Dr will be with her within the hour to check her out....

I wish I had kept my gob shut yesterday - one of my staff was feeling ropey all day - sickness and the squits also aching all over, headaches and a temp - I sent her home about mid afternoon,.

She's just called me to say the person she was out with on Monday night has been feeling as bad as she was and went to the docs yest - she has Swine Flu and so has her mother, so its looking kind of likely that more of my staff are gonna come down with it.....

She called the Drs this morning and she has been told to stay in and a Dr will be with her within the hour to check her out....

Ohhhh dear.........someone at our work is taking tamiflu even though I dont know if its 100% he has swine flu.

We had the "official" email yesterday from the top boss.......telling us what to do if we get it and how we shouldnt have less then 7 days off :lol:

Just found out someone in my team has possibly got it and is taking Tamiflu too! He's off til Monday.

I've probably got about 8 out of the 10 symptoms :eek: but considering most of them are similar to the common cold, I could just as easily have that too. I just feel like I've got a cold though, it doesn't feel toooooo bad at the moment. Scary!

Just found out someone in my team has possibly got it and is taking Tamiflu too! He's off til Monday.

I've probably got about 8 out of the 10 symptoms :eek: but considering most of them are similar to the common cold, I could just as easily have that too. I just feel like I've got a cold though, it doesn't feel toooooo bad at the moment. Scary!

I would play on the 8 out of 10 symptoms and use it to get time off work :D - even if you have come back form holiday - when you are ill you are ill!

Bit worrying steph :confused: How are you feeling :?: If you start to feel ropey please stay away from here and fb, would be a shame to give others a dose ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhhh dear.........someone at our work is taking tamiflu even though I dont know if its 100% he has swine flu.

We had the "official" email yesterday from the top boss.......telling us what to do if we get it and how we shouldnt have less then 7 days off :lol:

She's just called me to confirm she has Swine Flu...... :rolleyes:

been quarantined for 5 days (I dont know if that includes weekends tho) :lol::lol::lol:

She's just called me to confirm she has Swine Flu...... :rolleyes:

been quarantined for 5 days (I dont know if that includes weekends tho) :lol::lol::lol:

Oh god..........it really is spreading around isnt it.

I have never heard of a flu in the summer (well supposed summer anyway).

I am feeling achey (which is 1 of the symptoms according to the email I got) but not going to put it down to swine flu just yet.....I do wonder how many people at my place will use it as an excuse, nobody has so far :p

Back