Stuck on the 29th... (Decisions, decisions)

Indeed. But I think Tiesto has past the "point of no return" with regards winning the respect of the haters and skeptics. I mean, AvB gets a hell of a lot of stick from certain quarters of trance music and he hasn't sold out anywhere near as much as Tiesto has. It's tough at the top, as they say.

Armin is nowhere near as big as Tiesto - forget about DJ mag.

AvB isn't even a big crowd puller here in Scotland. I know a trance promoter who says his music is just too laid back for the punters here and that's why he's yet to sell a venue out.

Tiesto on the other hand will sell out every gig he plays wherever he goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to stick up for Tiesto here in that if I would also say f*** respect if it was the difference in being a multi-millionaire and losing respect and playing good tunes, getting Respek but still driving around in a mark 3 1.6 Golf lol at the end of the day a lot of us hate our jobs and get paid crap money... I would gladly play castles in the sky all night for thousands of pounds an hour (if anyone wants me) :lol: :lol:

Yeah, but that's been my point all along. What he plays really isn't as bad, or as cheesey, as people make out. Yes, he's more mainstream than he was 10 years ago; yes, he's overpaid, but he's not playing the same tunes as DJ Sammy and Flip & Fill. :lol:

AvB isn't a big crowd puller here in Scotland. I know a trance promoter who says his music is just too laid back for the punters here and that's why he's yet to sell a venue out.

Unfortunately I've seen AVB as well (it was an accident)... he's not even worthy of insults

Yeah, but that's been my point all along. What he plays really isn't as bad, or as cheesey, as people make out. Yes, he's more mainstream than he was 10 years ago; yes, he's overpaid, but he's not playing the same tunes as DJ Sammy and Flip & Fill. :lol:

No seriously he is as bad as I make out lol

Flip and Fill... DJ Sammy... do they actually DJ at clubs cos if so they are on a whole other level!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to stick up for Tiesto here in that if I would also say f*** respect if it was the difference in being a multi-millionaire and losing respect and playing good tunes, getting Respek but still driving around in a mark 3 1.6 Golf lol at the end of the day a lot of us hate our jobs and get paid crap money... I would gladly play castles in the sky all night for thousands of pounds an hour (if anyone wants me) :lol: :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

AvB isn't even a big crowd puller here in Scotland. I know a trance promoter who says his music is just too laid back for the punters here and that's why he's yet to sell a venue out.

And, going back to my point before, I can assure you now, as an avid trance listener and clubber I would go and see AvB anywhere at any venune... whereas Tiesto, could only be at Privilege or a huge tent at a major festival. There's the difference between the two.

No seriously he is as bad as I make out lol

He's really not!

But you're clearly not a fan of trance music (at least not anymore) so I know where the lack of enthusiasm comes from. If you're going to see Tiesto, and particularly AvB, even vaguely liking modern trance music would be a good start. :lol:

And, going back to my point before, I can assure you now, as an avid trance listener and clubber I would go and see AvB anywhere at any venune... whereas Tiesto, could only be at Privilege or a huge tent at a major festival. There's the difference between the two.

That's the point I made before - your only going to see Tiesto these days at a 10,000 capacity minimum event...

...it would be good to have the choice of seeing him play small clubs too.

That's the point I made before - your only going to see Tiesto these days at a 10,000 capacity minimum event...

...it would be good to have the choice of seeing him play small clubs too.

Well, it would interesting to see, certainly. How would it pan out? I'm not sure. Part of me thinks that the relatively average standard of his DJ would become too obvious and they'd be none of that sense of "spectacle" that makes seeing him at the big venues so memorable.

Well, it would interesting to see, certainly. How would it pan out? I'm not sure. Part of me thinks that the relatively average standard of his DJ would become too obvious and they'd be none of that sense of "spectacle" that makes seeing him at the big venues so memorable.

But that's how he made his name - playing clubs like Gatecrasher 10 years ago which only had a 1500 capacity.

Even 3000 capacity clubs are too small for him now...

I've got total respect for 'superstar' DJs that don't forget their roots, play small gigs now and again and most importantly... don't sell out!

But that's how he made his name - playing clubs like Gatecrasher 10 years ago which only had a 1500 capacity.

Even 3000 capacity clubs are too small for him now...

I've got total respect for 'superstar' DJs that don't forget their roots, play small gigs now and again and most importantly... don't sell out!

I agree with you, mate. And I'd applaud him if he did. But he's too far down that stadium road now.

I suppose it is a strange situation in trance music that Tiesto is probably the only one out of the big 4 who can, on his own, fill a 10,000 capacity venue, yet, out of the big 4 he's the least impressive as a DJ and the most likely to flop in front of a more "purist" trance crowd at a smaller venue. Testament to the strength of Tiesto's brand and the lack of DJing/trance knowledge of the "everyday" music listener, I suppose.

I agree with you, mate. And I'd applaud him if he did. But he's too far down that stadium road now.

I suppose it is a strange situation in trance music that Tiesto is probably the only one out of the big 4 who can, on his own, fill a 10,000 capacity venue, yet, out of the big 4 he's the least impressive as a DJ and the most likely to flop in front of a more "purist" trance crowd at a smaller venue. Testament to the strength of Tiesto's brand and the lack of DJing/trance knowledge of the "everyday" music listener, I suppose.

I think i'll check him out at Creamfields for an hour, I dare say he will be anthem bashing like there's no tomorrow, though! :lol:

my usual tiesto story

saw him in the Tunnel, Glasgow
supporting Ferry Corsten

Corsten was by far the better dj

Don't bother with Tiesto...i went to the closing paryty last year and thought it completely lacked in atmosphere and was full of english people. ended up leaving pretty early. Other people have said they liked it but it wasnt for me...thought amnesia was a much better club and had a much better atmosphere.

me and my g/f were at the closing for tiesto last year (we went for sander van doorn) ,i thought when tiesto came on the night took a turn for the worse,some really really poor songs,atmosphere we thought was terrible aswell,we left about half an hour after tiesto came on,glad we went to dc-10 the week before coz if i missed not havin the trip to dc-10 for this night i would have been kicking my selffff !!

Back