Stuck on the 29th... (Decisions, decisions)

Really it all just comes down to what music you like.

If you like your typical pop-trance, or whatever you want to cal it, mixed with some of the big hits doing the rounds - Head to tiesto.

If you like house music, some of which you will know, some of which you wont - head to SHM.

If you like techno of the likes of Sven Vath, Dubfire and Hawtin - Head to Cocoon.

Personally I would head to Cocoon, although SHM are pretty quality.

Tiesto can **** right off. :lol:

pop-trance, or whatever you want to cal it, mixed with some of the big hits doing the rounds

I certainly wouldn't blanket call what Tiesto plays "pop-trance" because it's too much of a mix these days.

He tends to start his sets with that sort of balearic "chilled" vocal trance that you might find on an In Search Of Sunrise compilation. Because he's playing to a HUGE Ibiza crowd he will probably chuck in a few housey remixes of chart songs to keep the less knowledgeable punter happy. Towards the end of the set (last hour or so) he normally starts wheeling out his own classic trance records... Lethal Industry, Traffic, Adagio For Strings, his remix of Silence (all records that didn't become "pop-trance" until the trance purists later turned on him post-Elements Of Life:rolleyes:)...

Btw, obviously, I would choose Tiesto out of the 3, but if I was chosing out of the other 2 on the 29th, I'd go to Cocoon. Because at SHM that night its Axwell (instead of Angello or Ingrosso) and ... Lord save us, its Bob Sinclar.

Last edited by a moderator:
He tends to start his sets with that sort of balearic "chilled" vocal trance that you might find on an In Search Of Sunrise compilation.

I love those mixes!

Perfect for sitting on a beach still up from the night before!

Any modern hard trance i can't tolerate though.

I love the one cd from sunrise 5 by Tiesto .. Can't remember if its 1 or 2 but its the one with Fonzarelli on it, its got some beautiful chilled tunes on it....

However words cannot describe how crap Tiesto is

Bob Sinclar lol I loved his tune 'feel for you' its really happy and girly... wtf happened when he employed that fat man scoop tribute act to sing over his cheesey music lol

I would still rather spend a week with him on the decks than one night with Tiesto though

'Castles in the sky' can make you physically sick :eek:

What? The original version of Castles In The Sky? If so, a rare occurance, let me tell you.

Trust me, what Tiesto plays is nowhere near as cheesey as people make out. His set last year at Creamfields was vocal proggy moving into his old classics. Much of what he plays these days falls in that vague "balearic" area between trance and house... nothing to do with Ian Van Dahl.

Personally, I'd find Bob Sinclar infinitely more nauseating than Tiesto. Sinclar is more cheesey in my book. Tiesto any day of the week.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these deluded fools who thinks Tiesto is an EDM god. I've criticised him before. I wasn't a massive fan of Elements Of Life, I've questioned his beat-matching in the past and I think he's by far the least talented of trance's "big 4"... but, there's no doubt he has his moments. I often think people hate the hype more than the DJ without even realising it. But that hype creates amazing atmospheres. His set wasn't the best of Creamfields 2008, not by a long shot... But the atmosphere in that tent, I've not seen anything quite like it.

Elements of Life was total crap. But he wouldn't have been bothered because people would have bought it anyway.

He's a stadium DJ now, playing the biggest venues possible.

That's why a lot of people hate him- they see him as being in it for the money and selling out by only playing massive arenas.

Tiesto playing a 2000 capacity club now is a rarity!

Elements of Life was total crap. But he wouldn't have been bothered because people would have bought it anyway.

He's a stadium DJ now, playing the biggest venues possible.

That's why a lot of people hate him- they see him as being in it for the money and selling out by only playing massive arenas.

Tiesto playing a 2000 capacity club now is a rarity!

Yeah, that's the thing. I think people hate him more for cashing in on his former No. 1 DJ tag and being a bit of a greedy bastard than the actual music he plays in his sets, which really isn't that bad.

From my point-of-view, that all works perfectly because somewhere like Privilege or a major festival are exactly the places (and the only places) I'd want to see Tiesto... any other venue and I'd much rather see a Sander Van Doorn, a Marcel Woods or a Sean Tyas. Whereas the same cannot necessarily be said of PvD, AvB or Ferry Corsten.

What? The original version of Castles In The Sky? If so, a rare occurance, let me tell you.

Trust me, what Tiesto plays is nowhere near as cheesey as people make out. His set last year at Creamfields was vocal proggy moving into his old classics. Much of what he plays these days falls in that vague "balearic" area between trance and house... nothing to do with Ian Van Dahl.

Personally, I'd find Bob Sinclar infinitely more nauseating than Tiesto. Sinclar is more cheesey in my book. Tiesto any day of the week.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these deluded fools who thinks Tiesto is an EDM god. I've criticised him before. I wasn't a massive fan of Elements Of Life, I've questioned his beat-matching in the past and I think he's by far the least talented of trance's "big 4"... but, there's no doubt he has his moments. I often think people hate the hype more than the DJ without even realising it. But that hype creates amazing atmospheres. His set wasn't the best of Creamfields 2008, not by a long shot... But the atmosphere in that tent, I've not seen anything quite like it.

His beat matching is non existant! Ask anyone who went to Alexandra Palace he stops then starts... or he F's up lol

I'm sure it was that God awful remix of William Orbits Adagio for strings that made him so famous..how unfair as he more or less pinched someone elses (Ferry Corsten?? Cant remember) idea after it becamr famous thanks to Harry Enfield lol and tweaked it into something even more heinous!

His beat matching is non existant! Ask anyone who went to Alexandra Palace he stops then starts... or he F's up lol

I'm sure it was that God awful remix of William Orbits Adagio for strings that made him so famous..how unfair as he more or less pinched someone elses (Ferry Corsten?? Cant remember) idea after it becamr famous thanks to Harry Enfield lol and tweaked it into something even more heinous!

Yeah, it was Ferry Corsten. And Ferry Corsten's version was indeed far better, I'll give you that.

Sounds like to me that Tiesto had one too many bottles of vodka one night at Alexandra Palace. It clearly cost him a few fans. :lol:

Yeah, it was Ferry Corsten. And Ferry Corsten's version was indeed far better, I'll give you that.

Sounds like to me that Tiesto had one too many bottles of vodka one night at Alexandra Palace. It clearly cost him a few fans. :lol:

I was never a fan I've always thought he was poop... not that I'm saying he gives a crap! I loved trance when I was say 21 I wasn't into Tiesto then I loved Judge Jules! It was the era of the kind of tunes u here on those terrible trance anthem cd's you get every year that sounded amazing when they first came out! The Kevin and Perry soundtrack! lol its fab lmfao

Yeah, that's the thing. I think people hate him more for cashing in on his former No. 1 DJ tag and being a bit of a greedy bastard than the actual music he plays in his sets, which really isn't that bad.

In a way yes.

But he'd get much more respect as Tiesto the number 1 DJ rather than Tiesto the money making super brand!

In a way yes.

But he'd get much more respect as Tiesto the number 1 DJ rather than Tiesto the money making super brand!

Indeed. But I think Tiesto has past the "point of no return" with regards winning the respect of the haters and skeptics. I mean, AvB gets a hell of a lot of stick from certain quarters of trance music and he hasn't sold out anywhere near as much as Tiesto has. It's tough at the top, as they say.

As I've said, I try and give him the benefit of the doubt. He's not the greatest DJ on the planet by any means, but because of the brand he's built, because of the hype, because of the endless streams of people that will flock to see him, there's a time a place for him I think. Privilege is the place.

I have to stick up for Tiesto here in that if I would also say f*** respect if it was the difference in being a multi-millionaire and losing respect and playing good tunes, getting Respek but still driving around in a mark 3 1.6 Golf lol at the end of the day a lot of us hate our jobs and get paid crap money... I would gladly play castles in the sky all night for thousands of pounds an hour (if anyone wants me) :lol: :lol:

Back