Staying Fit On Vacation

As much as I'd like to give myself the week or two off if I go to Ibiza or France or Russia or Japan or Bora Bora, I think that I'll be much happier if I can stick to an exercise routine.

I spoke recently of considering a holiday in Kyrgyzstan, but that's not possible right now. Instead, perhaps Hawaii and... with my gf! (<3) :)

So, if we did that I'd want to jog a mile every day - just to breathe normally. I get a little stress or anxiety without exercise and it would ruin the vacation.
I've been to Kyrgystan. It's easy to keep in shape in the 'stans if you go there for a mountaineering trip. In fact, I'm not sure why else one would go on holiday there.

Masochism
Then you should instead head across the border to the province of Badakshan in Takijistan. You are almost guaranteed to be harrassed by the police on every occasion you are unfortunate to meet one, get an AK-47 poked at you by a nervous soldier, get entangled in either a full-blown civil war or some other armed unrest, as well as falling ill with a running stomach every 4-5 days.

However the mountains are particularly spectacular, and all have really cool Soviet Union era names like Pik Kommunizma, Pik Revolyutsii (Revolution), Pik Marx and Pik Engels. It's very much worth while going there.

The only problem is that whilst climbing these mountains you find yourself looking across the border to the Wakhan valley/corridor in Afghanistan and see the even more awesome mountains of the Hinkukush. That will be a suitable holiday the year after.

As much as I'd like to give myself the week or two off if I go to Ibiza or France or Russia or Japan or Bora Bora, I think that I'll be much happier if I can stick to an exercise routine.

I spoke recently of considering a holiday in Kyrgyzstan, but that's not possible right now. Instead, perhaps Hawaii and... with my gf! (<3) :)

So, if we did that I'd want to jog a mile every day - just to breathe normally. I get a little stress or anxiety without exercise and it would ruin the vacation.
In case you consider a holiday in Kyrgyzstan with the 'gf' watch this video to the end. Do you think your gf would prefer to go to Hawaii, NO WAY.
I Slept In Kyrgyzstan's Worst Hotel 🇰🇬 - YouTube

I've been to Kyrgystan. It's easy to keep in shape in the 'stans if you go there for a mountaineering trip. In fact, I'm not sure why else one would go on holiday there.

I can vouch for Afghanistan.

Spent an all expenses paid 7 month vacation in Helmand province back in 2010.

Went on plenty of country walks which kept me incredibly fit, and I found some great little corners off the beaten track.

I wouldn’t bother with the hills though. Not much going on up there these days. The green zone is where the real action is.

A very vibrant and kinetic area steeped in culture and tradition.

If you prefer quieter times then I’d advise to avoid the summer months, known colloquially as ‘fighting season’. These months, from the end of may onwards, sees a lot of the migrated Pakistani youths out of work due to the opium harvest ending.

Their former employers put them to use in other disciplines and visitors to the area can sometimes find this very disruptive.

Alternatively, if you’ve traveled all that way and are hungry for some action then I guarantee you will be accommodated, such is the hospitality of this very exciting part of Asia.

Highly recommended 😄👍

I almost went to Afghanistan back in 2007/2008. Things weren't too bad in the Wakhan corridor back then. The plan would be to summit the highest mountain in Afghanistan, preferably with a ski ascent. We knew how to get in contact with the former head of the Northern Alliance in that area, who could guide us around the mine fields from the pre-2001 era. (He was after all the guy who had laid the mine fields).

But then the situation in Afghanistan started getting a bit too interesting, and the opportunity passed.

In case anyone sometime in the future should read this post and think a ski ascent is doable, the snow in this area - just to add extra difficulty since it's Afghanistan - is covered with penitentis in summer. But no one is stopping you going in winter.

In case you consider a holiday in Kyrgyzstan with the 'gf' watch this video to the end. Do you think your gf would prefer to go to Hawaii, NO WAY.
I Slept In Kyrgyzstan's Worst Hotel 🇰🇬 - YouTube
Or even Acapulco.

I really like this woman, and though we would love Hawaii I really like the charm and lure of the culture in Mexico. We went to Mazatlan (well, really we went to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán, and then the cruise ship skipped Cabo San Lucas... but alas I was fairly hung over for all but Mazatlán) in 1998 for my spring break senior year (We being my family*) and all I can remember I swear is how truly dramatically different that part of Mexico is. I was really impressed by how impoverished the place is - people were trying to sell chiclets (chewing gum) for pennies or less as soon as we set foot on the ground. The trees were something... I thought I was in tropical paradise, which we were.

Or even Acapulco.

I really like this woman, and though we would love Hawaii I really like the charm and lure of the culture in Mexico. We went to Mazatlan (well, really we went to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán, and then the cruise ship skipped Cabo San Lucas... but alas I was fairly hung over for all but Mazatlán) in 1998 for my spring break senior year (We being my family*) and all I can remember I swear is how truly dramatically different that part of Mexico is. I was really impressed by how impoverished the place is - people were trying to sell chiclets (chewing gum) for pennies or less as soon as we set foot on the ground. The trees were something... I thought I was in tropical paradise, which we were.
Hate to break it to you, but if you haven't been to Mexico since '98...it's 100% different

Hate to break it to you, but if you haven't been to Mexico since '98...it's 100% different
Maybe in Tulum! Is Acapulco trashed? :)

Maybe Tulum is the better one to go to, actually... less people maybe.

Then of course there's Cancun or Playa del Carmen or Cozumel. :D

I have my pick. We're so close. The resorts aren't cheap, but my Spanish passes. If I want something I can ask my phone, "How do you say __ in Spanish?" and it goes, "Puedo cortarme el pelo?" LOL. (Can I get a haircut?)

I can't really believe this is in Mexico.
1618160039602.png

That may be a vine, but likely is a rope swing. Gosh... the water is pretty. :cool"

Last edited:

I have my pick. We're so close. The resorts aren't cheap, but my Spanish passes. If I want something I can ask my phone, "How do you say __ in Spanish?" and it goes, "Puedo cortarme el pelo?" LOL. (Can I get a haircut?)

View attachment 11762

That may be a vine, but likely is a rope swing. Gosh... the water is pretty. :cool"
Not sure what you mean by trashed, but just about everywhere is heavily gentrified. If you're good with a resort vacation you're be fine. But if you're expecting cheap old Mexico you're in for a surprise

Not sure what you mean by trashed, but just about everywhere is heavily gentrified. If you're good with a resort vacation you're be fine. But if you're expecting cheap old Mexico you're in for a surprise
It's still sort of cheap-ish... I don't have to fly very far to get there. I'm a little wary of east-coast Mexico; I don't know why.... :rolleyes:
I've actually even heard Acapulco is dangerous, and I'm still more worried about Cancun...

View attachment 11762

View attachment 11762

Tulum was great in 1992😁

I almost went to Afghanistan back in 2007/2008. Things weren't too bad in the Wakhan corridor back then. The plan would be to summit the highest mountain in Afghanistan, preferably with a ski ascent. We knew how to get in contact with the former head of the Northern Alliance in that area, who could guide us around the mine fields from the pre-2001 era. (He was after all the guy who had laid the mine fields).

But then the situation in Afghanistan started getting a bit too interesting, and the opportunity passed.

In case anyone sometime in the future should read this post and think a ski ascent is doable, the snow in this area - just to add extra difficulty since it's Afghanistan - is covered with penitentis in summer. But no one is stopping you going in winter.

Thats an interesting insight and a shame you that you never got to go through with that visit.

I find it a shame the country is so ravaged by generations of conflict, as I think it would be a great place to explore if you enjoy adventurous escapades in austere challenging locations that are unspoilt and unsullied by mass tourism.

Aside from all the criminals insurgents and crooked warlords, I found the actual normal people of Afghanistan to have a level of hospitality that is first class.

Looks ace - do you go with a guide?
No, a friend of mine speaks Russian and he took care of most of the negotiations with drivers, police/army and the locals we stayed with. The older generation in the stans usually speak Russian.

But not having a guide makes things considerably more interesting. We planned on bagging Pik Karl Marx from the north. Since we didn't have a local guide we somehow failed to obtain the right permit to the area. The police refused to let ut into the valley to the north of the mountain. Instead we decided to try it from the south (Wakhan valley), along the border with Afghanistan. But when we got about 1000 meters above the valley floor the approach from there on was blocked by a recent land slide.

Instead we had to go for another mountain nearby that we had no information on except its name and altitude. We didn't have any maps. The rule of thumb until a few years ago is that maps below 1:500 000 are not available to foreigners. Such a large scale is next to useless. Since the mountain is 3500 meters above the valley floor, it's crucial to go up the right side/hanging valley and not end up in a dead end. We solved this problem by talking to the local farmers, who use high altitude pastures in the side valleys, and hired a couple of donkeys from them to haul our gear the first 1000 meters. It worked.

Back