Spotlight Book Group

Barbie

As the nights are drawing in and we just want to spend evenings sat at home in front of the fire :lol: with a good book I thought we should resurrect the Spotlight Book Group :lol:

Has anyone read anything good recently?? Any recommendations??

Recently read Danny Wallace - Yes Man (thanks for the recommendation PL) and laughed so much I nearly weed myself :eek: :lol:

Also just read Lionel Shriver - We Need to Talk about Kevin which was one of the most gripping and powerful books I've ever read, it just got better and better and the ending was such a shock :eek: It got to the point that one morning I sat in Golden Square before work reading it cos I just couldn't put it down.

Currently reading Judy Marks - Mr Nice and Mrs Marks which is Howard Marks's wife autobiography - a great read (lots of Ibiza references from the 1960s) and I'm actually preferring it to his autobiography Mr Nice as it seems easier to get into.

Have you read the follow-up to A Million Little Pieces?

Great read!!! "My Friend Leonard"

Also Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller is good.

not new books but I just read

Toby Young: How to lose friends and alienate people. Very funny book but also what seems to be a good critique of new york high society. Greatly enjoyed it.

Nick Hornby: how to be good. Really enjoyed it, very funny indeed and completely correct in that everyone hates really good people :lol: .

Both books I read on the journey to and from ibiza, nothing too challenging :lol:

Have you read the follow-up to A Million Little Pieces?

Great read!!! "My Friend Leonard"

Also Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller is good.

Yep I really enjoyed My Friend Leonard, I think I preferred a Million Little Pieces tho just cos it gave me hope that I'm not that bad (yet) :lol:

The best book I've ever read is Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, which is a stunning old fashioned type tale based in mid-20th century Barcelona. A proper story. Brilliant.:D Read it now!:spank:

The best book I've ever read is Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, which is a stunning old fashioned type tale based in mid-20th century Barcelona. A proper story. Brilliant.:D Read it now!:spank:

ah yes, I was meaning to tell you I'd got round to reading that! It was very good, and I think it'll be even better on a second read.

really really good thriller but beautifully written too.

not new books but I just read

Toby Young: How to lose friends and alienate people. Very funny book but also what seems to be a good critique of new york high society. Greatly enjoyed it.

Nick Hornby: how to be good. Really enjoyed it, very funny indeed and completely correct in that everyone hates really good people :lol: .

Both books I read on the journey to and from ibiza, nothing too challenging :lol:

I can't get into Nick Hornby :evil: I haven't heard that one though, might give it a go

Yep I really enjoyed My Friend Leonard, I think I preferred a Million Little Pieces tho just cos it gave me hope that I'm not that bad (yet) :lol:

There is another book I read similar to Million little pieces, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it :twisted: Once I find out I shall tell you!

There is another book I read similar to Million little pieces, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it :twisted: Once I find out I shall tell you!

Was it Dry - Augusten Burroughs, that's on a similar theme, I do like reading about those worse than me :lol:

I am currently reading 'Memoirs of a Geisha' by Arthur Golden. I am only 3 chapters in and can't put it down. Already recommend it to anyone!

I love the Spotlight Book Club!!!

Been back at work for a while now so "reading for enjoyment" is severely limited :( but over the past few months have read:

Awesome books...

Sarah (JT Leroy)
The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things (JT Leroy)
Shawshank Redemption and other short stories (Stephen King)
An Ordinary Man (Paul Rusesabagina - the true story of Hotel Rwanda)

so so book...
Self Made Man (Norah Vincent)

And am in the middle of The Shining (Stephen King) i adore the film and have wanted to read it for years and years, just never got round to it.

Shawshank Redemption and other short stories (Stephen King)
An Ordinary Man (Paul Rusesabagina - the true story of Hotel Rwanda)

Is the Stephen King one the one that includes Apt Pupil - that book is so disturbing isn't it??

Will check out An Ordinary Man, thanks for the recommendation ;)

I was looking at getting The Yes Man last week but decided against it. Might get it as it sounds fun.

Has anyone read Brett Easton Ellis' Lunar Park? Would love to have a jolly good discussion about it!

Back