SPACE opening party

My 13th time in Ibiza..probably my 20th @ space on sundays (Opening-we love-closing) and my worst.....Tom Novy and David "L'oréal"Guetta for the both terrace closing set???Oh my God......pppfffffffffffhhhhhh
Jonathan,Dj Oliver and of course steve Lawler were brilliant......Tom Novy should close the Cafe Del Mar terrace next year....

grego said:
fundamentally disagree with you on so many levels. yeah i hate it when its busy too but if you know what you're doing then you know how to play it to ensure you're night isn't spoilt.

music policy has actually become more and more diverse over the years (with the addition of different areas), so disagree that its bland and predictable. anyhow, if you like 'terrace music', whats wrong with being able to hear it when you go there. same as 'that pacha sound', its been the essence of the club for a decade.

space has always been a place for people who like "to be seen", that whole trashyness and wearing of sunglasses and no dress code is what makes it a unique party.

WLS music policy is like any other cheesy club in any UK town. I go every year and normally enjoy it, but it's certainly not diverse. The tracks played are the ones found on 1000s of music compilations - the big hits of that summer and the previous ones.

Fair enough, that's what many people enjoy, but it's certainly not diverse and I like going to clubs to hear things that I haven't heard before rather than an endless stream of 'classics'.

Clara said:
WLS music policy is like any other cheesy club in any UK town. I go every year and normally enjoy it, but it's certainly not diverse. The tracks played are the ones found on 1000s of music compilations - the big hits of that summer and the previous ones.

Fair enough, that's what many people enjoy, but it's certainly not diverse and I like going to clubs to hear things that I haven't heard before rather than an endless stream of 'classics'.

:eek:

i have to disagree totally with that first comment.

Clara said:

aye Clara, you've obviously never experienced the delights of Fat Sams in Dundee!

Well I went and had an amazing time. Highlights for me was when coxy (finally) arrived in the DJ Mag arena and Tania Vulcano and Jose De Divinia closing it.

Lowlights: Some of my friends who left at 8 couldnt get back in!

Disagree with so many people on here about WLS music policy.....

Tiefschwarz are the residents this year instead of Groove "put superstylin' on again" armada are tiefschwarz cheesey??? I think not!

Mr C is playing in a couple of weeks....again is he cheesey and playing club classics??? I think not!

WLS caters for so many different tastes of music and no way plays an endless stream of classics!! (except groove armada last year, was superstylin' ever a classic though???!!!!)

One more thing has John "Fuzzy Bear" Digweed got worse over the years??? On the DJ Mag arena he was putting everyone to sleep....there was no ups no downs just a constant dullness of music......

Discuss

Lukes said:
One more thing has John "Fuzzy Bear" Digweed got worse over the years??? On the DJ Mag arena he was putting everyone to sleep....there was no ups no downs just a constant dullness of music......

Discuss

so he hasn't changed his style recently then:) :)

Huehnerdiebin said:
Please explain "fannies" :rolleyes:

:eek: :twisted:

Pfanni_Schild2_kl.jpg

Bild135.JPG

CMA-Panni-Shredded-Potato-D.gif

:rolleyes: :confused: :?:

fatphilb said:
I agree, Space is full of complete fannies. Where are all these friendly beautiful people everyone always speaks of? I find about 95% of the Space punters to be arrogant coked up tossers.

The beautiful were definatly there when I was there last year. Saw some pouttiness but thought it was sexy. People definatly didnt seem rude, in fact I thought it was the nicest crowd of any of the clubs. Place was packed but people were doing all they could to not run into each other and have a great time. Do you really think people are going to go out of there way to be rude when the party is called "We Love"?

Clara said:

we're obviously gonna disagree on this but i wouldn't call the music at space/WLS cheesy or full of classics (even if you are the most underground of punters). The reason why is because the line-ups for WLS are packed with the people who innovate, create, initiate, etc, etc in the first place. So people like tiefschwarz, jeff mills, paul woolford, tenaglia, sneak, even van helden - these are all the people who help create the sounds that later become more mainstream in british clubs. If you don't believe me well at least half of the few names i've picked out appear on 'Teachers' by Daft Punk, so it must be true.

moreover most of the WLS cast are top producers and/or remixers, so if you wanna hear things for the first time and for it to be stuff you haven't heard before, you've prob got a better chance of hearing it directly from themselves rather than when its been cascaded down through to the UK clubscene.

when i said diverse, i meant in terms of having chill out music (premier étage), the 'basics sound' (caja roja), prog/techno/trance/etc (discoteca), allsorts (terraza), true terrace house (sunset terrace).

finally, you better inform all those lovely people at 'cheesy clubs' basics, sankeys (RIP:lol: ), shindig, the end, etc, etc because they are using some, if not all, of the WLS roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
im not saying putiness isn't sexy and of course the place is packed to the rafters with beautiful people. i just find other clubs in ibiza friendlier (and plenty pouting goes on elsewhere too). each to their own. i'll try not offend the Space/WLS massive in future - and of course I'm already planning my September trip round WLS lineup.

Ok, so I'm trying to get a reaction a bit, but if you think the sounds at WLS are diverse then you need to go to more clubs.

I love Space as a venue but WLS is just too much hassle for me for not much in return. When I saw 2 Many Djs (tired) play at the opening last year, they played exactly the same set than at Sonar two days previously. Everyone seems to water down their sets to play there when I've gone and the tracks are just what you'd hear on cds.

It just seems to be all about the money and all the passion has been ripped out of it.

Ive read this thread with great interest and Im shocked by what some of you are saying and also disappointed in Space for the obvious **** it has given some of you :cry:

Everytime I have been there Ive had a cracking night! I LOVE SPACE!!! This opening was my 4th time on a Sunday :)

Granted they are a few things which dont please me eg not being able to take your camera in and having to pay for it to be kept for you!
The drinks prices are not the best either :eek:

But overall I think the venue is amazing, I think the diversity of people is great and personally I would say they were really friendly :D I love the music and they have some cracking DJ's on there 8) theres something for everyone in every room.

Of course its going to be busy as its the opening and I quite like that about it. It would be a bit **** if it was half empty :eek:

I feel sorry for the people who didnt get back in with wristbands as I do think that is out of order. I too would be extremely pissed off with that. We obviously timed it right (and that was not planned lol as we thought it was 2 hours ahead of what it actually was!!)

I had a great night, even tho we missed Steve Lawler and Carl Cox cos of our stupidity with our watches lol!!!

Oh yeah Im also one of those shallow posey people who pout and wear sunglasses lol!!! :lol: 8) :rolleyes: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back