Space Ibiza Dance coming soon

That's true, but I read yesterday that the brand 'Space Ibiza Dance' was registered in 1991 by Fiesta Hotels group (Matutes),
and Pepe also registered the brand 'Space Ibiza' later in 2008. So, it's no wonder there is this conflict about Space.

Thats why it seems that Matutes won back the brand, or did always own the brand (in Spain), even if Pepe grew it up.

So Space opened in 1989, Pepe didn't bother to get the name trademarked back then... the Matutes did in 1991 so I guess that's why they own the naming rights? Here in the US (of course our rules may be totally different) I think Pepe would have won in the 90s under what's called 'prior art' meaning it was used publicly first. But you also have to register the trademark and arguably Pepe lost the right eventually to own it due to not filing until 2008 and that's what the court decided. At least that's my non-lawyer take on it :)

CORRECTION - I see now it originally opened in 1986 before Pepe took over in 1989 - was it called Space pre-Pepe as well?

Last edited:
The Matutes War , it's sad ...

Im torn here because if its true they copywrited the name in the early 90s then that is good business sense...but on the otherhand it was the early 90s and the world was just enjoying itself and not getting wrapped up in corporate bollocks...

For me the brand is dead. Club has been shut for 8 years, we've had a sunset bar and Eden on completely the opposite side of the island trying to keep the magic going and now what? Potentially Privilige to be reopened as Space despite having its own history?

As I mentioned before our group are coming out for the night next Friday - to see Sasha and Digweed. Has there been any word on if they are still appearing?

Back