Space - Avoid - the Security SUCKS

i feel so bad for u....that sucks that u experienced all that ...
i personally loved the club i loved the way the music hypnotized everyone cause it was that wicked....
wish u would go again and have the best experience ever instead

I was there that day from 10pm to 6am, and it funking rocked! I had no problem getting into any area, and just had to wait about 5 minutes to get into that new upstairs room as it was packed

the straw that broke the camel's back was when he allowed about 8 Spanish people in, much to the amazement of the queue forming and waiting patiently to get in.

Thats one of the things that really wind me up. I've seen spanish people blag there way into Space so many times its getting ridiculous.

My parents are spanish so i can speak and understand it quite well, and the amount of stuff the spanish get away with in Space is unbelievable. Not only free entry, but getting free drinks, free food, being allowed to take drugs blatantly infront of security.

Fair enough the locals get given certain privilages, but not EVERY spaniard.. :evil:

No wonder everything is so expesive when so many people are getting a free ride.

I was there this day too - and i have to say Russt if you had got there a little earlier you would have been able to soak up the atmosphere a lot more. Up until about 3.30 it was nice and roomy, great vibe and not too busy....after about 4.30 it was mental busy...as Robo has said probably one of the busiest days this season.

As for the camera - i can sympathise, but equally you should look after your ticket carefully man...if, as you say your camera is worth £700!!! careless mate.

Robo said:
was on the terrace from like 8pm

On a brighter note...

Did you or Robo see that bunch of girls all getting off with each other??? Well they were the ones who were trying to entice me and my lot to a massive orgy! Apparantly they got eventually kicked out at about 9.00ish because 2 of them stripped off in the upstairs terrace!!! haha! love it.

more on space

Mr Rust
Sorry to hear about your experience too, but as many people have pointed out, there is a serious issue here. It's just not acceptable that clubbers are being treated in this way. There seems an attitude, and it comes from the very top, that the management and security at Space can just behave how they want with no repercussions at all.

It's a Neanderthal attitude, and reminds me of clubbing in the early 1980s in the East Midlands (glamorous eh?) when the bouncers all had this kind of "if you ain't gorra moustache and white socks you ain't comin in" demenour.

The UK has gone through a clubbing revolution since then and most clubs take care that their door staff behave politely (if firmly on occasions) and respect their clients. Of course many clubs now provide free water for their clients. Because it is a relationship , in just the same way that if you regularly to the same restaurant you don't except a slap round the ear for spilling some gravy on the tablecloth. We are the clients. This whole notion seems not come into the equation at Space on occasions. Not always but it does happen. That's why Sven Vath and others get into big trouble with the security there. And that's why I felt I had to write

"In fact overcrowding has become so intense...the management, seemingly unable to get a queue moving or employ a half-friendly bouncer, must bear responsibility for this"

in the Rough Guide Ibiza.

Let's face it, if the "best club the world" (mmm...) even remotely tried to live up to that accolade instead of employing meat-heads, treating clubbers like cattle, turning off the water taps, charging 50 euros entry (and 10 euros a beer or whatever) and not even having a terrace sound system that audible there would not be 50 plus messages on this thread.

OK, I concede some of those points apply to every club in Ibiza.

I would also say that I'd never go to Space in August, it's just too busy. I'd also say that Space the right day is simply untouchable, peerless. I've has some of my very finest clubbing experiences there.

But I reckon that's been all to do with the crowd, the very special crowd - though things have cooled off in recent years - and very little to do with the management.

What about an official response from Space?

...I think we'd be lucky - can't see they'd even see this.

I actually went onto the Space website.... and while there is a space for comments/feedback - it isn't actually working (or it wasn't a few days ago).... hmm...

The security manager would only give me his name when he realised how serious I was about calling the police. If he acts in this manner, well, what can you expect from the security staff under him? It is an obvious issue, and one Space desperately needs to address.

SExpress... the ticket they gave me for my camera was literally just under 2" square... and made of flimsy pink paper.... totally useless in an enormously sweaty club where even money can turn to papier mache in your pocket. So I can only presume this is what happened to my ticket.... another thing.... to take your camera off you is one thing. To then CHARGE you for doing so... well, that's an utter disgrace.

If anyone has a contact for Space... please let me have it.... they really should see this thread and the comments its raised.

I've always found Space security to be the worst and most liabe to be arseholes. Also their staff are the rudest imo.

My personal view regarding the whole night life scene in Ibiza is that i'm fully prepared to pay top dollar for a good night out, providing the clubs and other establishments treat us with the respect we deserve.

Regarding the security staff, part of their job description should be to assess the people entering the clubs and show some courtesy whenever and wherever it is due.

I have never had any problems myself but do agree with the comments made about the staff at Space. You do get the feeling you are sometimes being herded like cattle and yes the bar staff always serve the spanish first. I love Space as a club, but there are many things that let the club down. My girlfriend only goes there for me, but never really enjoys herself. She likes to feel relaxed in her surrounding and Space, to her, doesn't offer this. She should be ok this year as we'll be in a large group and of course, there's the roof terrace as a retreat when things get too much.

As far as Pacha & El Divino go, i find that the security staff seem far more at ease and friendlier than Space. You do actually feel more relaxed and that you are being welcomed into their club.

I dunno, Space get so much right, but seem to forget some of the more important aspects of running a club.

:)

S Express said:
Did you or Robo see that bunch of girls all getting off with each other??? Well they were the ones who were trying to entice me and my lot to a massive orgy! Apparantly they got eventually kicked out at about 9.00ish because 2 of them stripped off in the upstairs terrace!!! haha! love it.

yes!!! i was watching them subtly from the comfort of the chairs. was good, i can tell ya.

:p

Robo said:
S Express said:

yes!!! i was watching them subtly from the comfort of the chairs. was good, i can tell ya.

Bet you had to stay sat down for a while Rob!

:lol:

Robo said:
S Express said:

Hilarious it was!!! funny that you saw it happen too! haha... ;)

Bad luck...

I´ve been to space several times this summer and i agree that security is one of the worst i´ve seen on the island. But never caused so much trouble as they caused to you.
Have been to Carl Cox and have seen people using drugs everywere, any kind, the place went crazy at 5 o´clock. I think every person in the club that day were stoned as hell. Was the party of the summer for me... :D

Coming back for closing parties!!!

I took my camera into Space each time I went this year. Then used it in front of security to piss them off :lol:

In yo face beeatches!

didn't have any problems with the security at space this year, and i kinda stand out much more than the average clubber ;) :eek:

Ah thats upset me to hear you had such a bad night, considering the line up was so good.
Know what you mean about security, huge muscle bound bouncers making people queue to move up a stair case and barging people out of the way :twisted:

I managed to smuggle my camera in but spent about 30 minutes trying to avoid the security bloke who continuously stalks around the terrace.

Loved Layo and Bushwackas set, but missed felix the housecat's, however from whatever everyone has written P Diddy ruined it anyway.

DC10 Monday morning session excellent :D :D :D

....re. the stalking security guard from the new top terrace at Space..... from what I've heard, this one guy seems to be intent on making himself the least popular person on the whole of Ibiza island this year - yeah, he's the black haired 'muscled' one with bizarre eyebrows and a penchant for leering at scantily clad brunettes (but absolutely utterly nobody else it seems)... spoken to a friend of mine tonight who's just returned.... and he was full of complaints about this one guy, too. And about Space in general, actually, so I aint alone.

This security meathead's also to be found at the Smokin Jo night in Ibiza old town on a Monday evening after Space (yeah, this little Hitler sure gets around).

I reckon we should have a 'Spot the Eyebrow Man' contest on here....

It's never good to hear of experiences like that but to be honest, I think this is more of a problem with Sundays at Space rather than Space as a whole.

I was at Space this year for Carl Cox and the Manumission Carry On. At both the staff were alright. I just think they let far too many people into Sundays at Space and even if there's loads of djs on you want to see, I just found it too busy to enjoy myself as you're constantly being pushed about on the dancefloor, hence why I didn't even bother going this year.

...so how did others feel about Space this year?

Did the security from Hell ruin your time there, too?

Back