Space - Avoid - the Security SUCKS

russt

All ready for our first ever visit to Space last Sunday, 22 of us in Ibiza staying in the only hotel to stay - the EsVive, planning on a fantastic afternoon/night/morning in the 'legendary' Space. Fantastic line up lead by Jeff Mills, the iconic Smokin Jo, with a DJ set from Groove Armada. How more amazing could this day be?

How wrong we were.

Met by the saddeningly ever-present grumpy unfriendly and downright rude doorstaff who pointed to a small 'no cameras' sign behind them (Space - maybe it would be a good idea to put a Camera Ban sign on your flyers - would save everyone a lot of time and hassle), we all had to begrudgingly hand our cameras in.... then were told the privelige of having our cameras taken off us would cost us 2Euros (!!!!), and were each given a tiny pink reclaim ticket. Another bad idea - a small flimsy pink ticket in a club as busy, hot and crazy as Space? An armband or stamp - obviously a better idea.

In we went.... and the name Space is obviously meant to be ironic.... Lack of Space is what it's been renamed by our lot. The famous 'terrace' now a dancefloor covered by an ugly black sacking material, there is absolutely nowhere to sit (when you sit on any available corner, shelf or area, belligerent bouncers are soon impolitely shoving you off - there simply aren't enough areas to sit downstairs).

On come Groove Armada and they play a totally amazing set (Chicken Lips - still sounding incredible), but there's just not enough room to dnce - it's uncomfortably busy and people are getting narky with each other.

Then up to the top area, where we spot Pete Tong lording it and an impossibly sexy Skin (Skunk Anansie) having a great time. The blue pebbly flooring and playgroup yellow furniture make the place look like a supermarket kids play area and once again, every member of staff we encounter is rude, abrupt and unhelpful. It's on this floor we meet the Gestapo-like bouncer who makes everyone's lives hell. Pushing people off places they aren't meant to sit, confiscating any drugs spotted (even smoke?!) and taking people's smuggled cameras from them, he basically makes everyone's lives in this area purgotary for the time we're there - people are visibly cheesed off with his approach and leave in droves. Including us (if you go there, he's the black haired meathead with the ridiculous plucked eyebrows - beware).

Smokin Jo, one of my favourite DJs from all those years ago in London, is on in the middle area and we're gagging for a dance.

We're met at the door by another obnxious doorman who simply refuses us entry because it's 'too full in there'. Despite many people leaving in the 15 minutes we left there, he refused us entry time and time again - despite us paying 35Euros to specifically see this DJ... the straw that broke the camel's back was when he allowed about 8 Spanish people in, much to the amazement of the queue forming and waiting patiently to get in. When I challenged him about this, he said "they work here". They patently didn't. I asked for his name at this point, absolutely furious and determined to complain. He refused to give it. We could hear Smokin Jo from where we were. We were refused permission to enter. It looked fabulous.

Downstaitrs, Mr Mills rocked the darkened bottom floor..... and we were finally able to dance.

After doing the oligatory 'losing everyone', I decided enough was enough (we'd been there 10 hours at this point) and wanted out. Going back to reclaim my camera - of course, no ticket. Searched everywhere - no ticket. I described the camera (to the girl who initially took the item from me who remembered me)... I even described the last 5 pictures taken and the 3 videos on there - all of us entering Space (!?) - the make, model number - everything... no joy. Refusing to leave without my camera, I asked for the security manager (Roberto B - err... no surname apparently). He reiterated what the doorstaff had said - no ticket, no item. I then asked for the police - as far as I was concerned, my camera in this dodgy venue was history - I hadn't wanted to put it in in the first place, and this was a £700 camera. I asked for them to get the police. He refused, saying I either had to wait til the very end of the club or come back tomorrow - neither of which was viable as we were leaving that day.

I left, furious, disappointed and resolute that I would never ever venture in this club again.

On my return home, one of my friends came up to me and said she'd picked up my camera - no problem, no ticket, no questions.

So, feeling a little silly, but more angry that they'd given my camera to someone else without any proof whatsoever, that's the end of my Space story.

Avoid - we had a totally awful time there. All 22 of us.

Forget Space - DC10, on the other hand.... WOW.

Sorry to hear you had a bad time at Space. I know what you mean about security there, they can be a nightmare. But in June we had no problems, no queues, no searching, cameras through the door.

i hear ya mate
i really do

i hate the way the goons (and not just at space) look down their noses at clubbers and the aggresion and attitude is just too much

you really do wanna say "look here ya big goon, i earn 5 times as much as you and i am a nice person, kiss my arse"

but the truth is mate
you gotta, you just gotta let it go....

on the terrace with it all rockin and the conection between dj and up for it crowd... its just gott be the best thing....

funk the goons
what do they know

The security do have a job to do, but a little politeness wouldn't go amiss, don't let your bad time put you off going to the island again

nish said:
they searching people for Camera's at space? EVERYONE>?

shit

No, I've never been searched for camera at Space, they occasionally do random checks but I've always got one in ;)

they are not getting my digital camera! Not without taking resposibility if they lose it!

dude
if you are wearing jeans or trousers with back pockets and the camera is small/slim enuf then put it in there
we got searched for contraband oh sorry i mean cameras (damn goons) and my mate had his in the backpocket of his jeans and got awat wid it
:lol:

nish said:
they are not getting my digital camera! Not without taking resposibility if they lose it!

If I were you, I would take a disposable camera just in case, it's not worth risking losing your expensive digi cam.

Such a shame it ruined your day. Space is such a great experience, I really would recommend you go back and give it another go.

Personally I have never had a bad Space (in about 7 visits). True the door staff can be a bit grumpy, but then wouldnt you be having to sit there while everyone bounces past you with grins all over
their faces?

I think the camera thing is very weird. I know people who have had them er...removed but seen loads of people inside blatantly using them. I think it the luck of the draw.

As for the terrace covering, all I can say is I went there when it didnt have the covering and it did get unbearably hot. I will miss the terrace though if they do finally put a proper roof on the area...I think that will take something away.

Im not saying that anyone in your group was out of order in any way, but the hassle you recieved may have been because there was such a large group of you. I think security might get a bit twitchy about such a large number turning up at once.......try going with just a few people next time...just a thought.

when i went i got scanned with a handheld metal detector

thankfully i didnt have a camera but one of the people i was with got theirs taken off them for 2 euros

luck of the draw, i didnt take a cam anywhere with me this year and im gutted i didnt, only place i was seasrched was space

nish said:
Unfortunately mate, they take no responsibility! They are quite simply of the opinion that if you dont want to lose it then just dont take it with you!

I gave in and left my camera at the hotel for space. :rolleyes:

thanks for the replies..... I was more pi**ed that they wouldn't let us see Smokin Jo to be honest - what I'd paid my money for, really. If she's there when anyone goes again - a must, really. Fantastic.

And the group of us - we didn't all stay together - you know how it is... different people, different tastes, so at most there were only 7 or 8 of us together at one time.

And there's a tiny sign (behind the door staff's head) with a 'no camera' sign up now... and when they opened the draw to put my camera in - there were about 100 cameras in there then - and that was early in the day. So beware.

Another thing (God, I go on...).... the bouncers seem to be much kinder and friendlier to girls there. Especially girls with little on.... my friend had £70 worth of draw taken off him when he was caught making a joint..... a girl I saw later rolling up had her spliff taken off her, and was given her weed back. She was wearing a tiny bikini.

My mate..err.. wasn't. Isn't that called sexism?

Anyway. Nice board, this, glad I found it.

Not sure about the very early days, but they've had the same policy about cameras ever since i've been going.

THAT box has always looked pretty full when i've been there :lol:

i was at this session, and yes it was very busy. i was talking to some of the security and the reason why they were soo uptight was because that was the busiest they had seen space in a very, very, very long time. They just couldn't cope.

I thought Groove armarda were poor. good tunes but rubbish mixing. so i just stayed up on the new roof terace - did i mention how much i loved that new terrace, the best thing in ibiza this year, without a doubt.

Robo said:
i just stayed up on the new roof terace - did i mention how much i loved that new terrace, the best thing in ibiza this year, without a doubt.

got any pics Robo?

if not i'll see it myself in 10 days! :D :D :D

stuie said:
Robo said:
i just stayed up on the new roof terace - did i mention how much i loved that new terrace, the best thing in ibiza this year, without a doubt.

got any pics Robo?

if not i'll see it myself in 10 days! :D :D :D

not really, only took me pics on me phone.

one tip, get up there for 8ish so you can sit in the early evening sun, watching and listen and feeling the vibe.

Back