Solomun +1 @ PACHA 2022 - Reviews & Reports

The nights with less expected and underrated guest+1 will can be better ahahah

Oh 100% agree, and Circo Loco is a prime example of this too - and had that with many +1s over the years.

If I was to give some constructive feedback to the +1 crew though (as a huge fan of this night and Pacha), from also speaking to a lot of folks that went the early August to early September period, there might have been a few too many weeks that didn’t quite hit the mark though. I mean it’s August it was probably sold out so who cares I suppose. But the balance of established Vs new DJs could have balanced better in that period maybe?

Oh 100% agree, and Circo Loco is a prime example of this too - and had that with many +1s over the years.

If I was to give some constructive feedback to the +1 crew though (as a huge fan of this night and Pacha), from also speaking to a lot of folks that went the early August to early September period, there might have been a few too many weeks that didn’t quite hit the mark though. I mean it’s August it was probably sold out so who cares I suppose. But the balance of established Vs new DJs could have balanced better in that period maybe?
Possibly an availability thing? Aug is peak festival time, which generally run over the weekend, so people booked out elsewhere?

Maybe this was a birthday present from the club gods, but... oh my. Solomun last night was on fire! Much more like his 2019 style! I was beaming

Midland was also great. Really good crowd. Loved it. Loooooooooooved it! 😆
Amazing news ! All is not lost . He dropped that during the ame b2b and also this too !

He played both at the port. Ok for one-off open-air raves but not for a weekly club playlist imo. What's next? Solly In Concert?

Last edited:
An Excerpt from the fantastic New Yorker profile on Solomun 🤣:

"During the pandemic, he began to favor grittier and more energetic music. When he resumed d.j.’ing, his sets reflected this change. Indeed, at some recent shows, Solomun has played as many as six tracks by Matt Guy—a producer from Nottingham who creates sledgehammer rave tracks like “Krupa” and “Party Starter.” Solomun’s support has transformed Guy’s career. In Europe, he is now played on mainstream radio. “I’ve always been a massive fan of Solomun,” Guy told me. “But never in a million years would I have expected him to play something like ‘Party Starter.’ ”

Solomun told me that he was simply broadening his outlook. “This year, I really dig and love this kind of nineties sound . . . breakbeat, a little bit trance-y, almost Robin S.-style, but in a fresh way,” he said. “But these days I love more and more styles, and it’s getting harder and harder to build bridges during the sets. For me, that’s the big challenge.”

The changes haven’t delighted everyone. On a message board, one clubber who attended Solomun+1 in 2022 complained of the “weird shit” he played; another declared that he was at “the end of the road” with Solomun. After Solomun played a rowdy set in London, a fan wrote on Instagram, “I love your music you really need to go back to your old stuff though!”

Solomun doesn’t read online comments and has social-media accounts only because they are necessary for work. He says he knows that, when you change your sound, “sometimes you’re losing people”—but this can be hard to gauge. Whenever he looks out from his booth, he sees a sea of happy ravers."

Full article:

okay, time for a little review of Sunday. Like i mentioned, last week with Midland was simply fantastic. Solomun back (almost) to his old self. I was hopeful, but unconvinced it wouldn't be an isolated incident.

Anyway, despite me having a lot of respect for Erol Alkan, from Phantasy to To The Rhythm, to his work with Beyond The Wizard's Sleeve, for some reason I had some doubt he would be an unmissable +1. Well I was completely wrong. He did a tremendous job and perhaps he was even better than Midland last week.

Some huge tracks that he played included his remix of Working Men's Club - Ploys and Rhythm Passion by Red Axes, but this was his handover track just before 02:30 and it was great

Solomun then picked up from where he left last week.

It was still that Ejeca remix of Dom Dolla that absolutely tore the place down. I think there was the &Me Rokysopp remix in there somewhere, and a Kettama

Crowd, energy, music I couldn't fault it for the second week in a row. Bodes well for the closing marathon this weekend I think!

Sadly I had to leave earlier than I wanted to pacify the aforementioned drama. All the more eager to get back and wave goodbye to summer on Sunday

Playlist updated by the way

okay, time for a little review of Sunday. Like i mentioned, last week with Midland was simply fantastic. Solomun back (almost) to his old self. I was hopeful, but unconvinced it wouldn't be an isolated incident.

Anyway, despite me having a lot of respect for Erol Alkan, from Phantasy to To The Rhythm, to his work with Beyond The Wizard's Sleeve, for some reason I had some doubt he would be an unmissable +1. Well I was completely wrong. He did a tremendous job and perhaps he was even better than Midland last week.

Some huge tracks that he played included his remix of Working Men's Club - Ploys and Rhythm Passion by Red Axes, but this was his handover track just before 02:30 and it was great

Solomun then picked up from where he left last week.

It was still that Ejeca remix of Dom Dolla that absolutely tore the place down. I think there was the &Me Rokysopp remix in there somewhere, and a Kettama

Crowd, energy, music I couldn't fault it for the second week in a row. Bodes well for the closing marathon this weekend I think!

Sadly I had to leave earlier than I wanted to pacify the aforementioned drama. All the more eager to get back and wave goodbye to summer on Sunday

Playlist updated by the way

Fingers crossed for Sunday … what is the general feeling regarding Boys Noize ? I love his remix of Solomun’s track Home but wonder quite what sort of stuff he will play … presume they are old friends since both from Hamburg … plus I will finally settle the drink we owe you from 2018 S+1 closing

Back