Self righteous post

In relative terms, yes! I don't think you're trying to wind me up but your angling for an argument, the fact that you can put across such hypothetical questions shows you understand my stance.

To be honest, I've never really given much of a thought to football ticket touting, as Dundee United rarely get to European finals. But music concerts, same applies. Tickets should be sold at face value so everyones on a level playing field. I can understand if people are made offers why they sell the tickets they bought for going to see a band or whatever, but its the people who snap up tickets for the sole purpose of depriving others and selling them on at profit WHICH REALLY BUGS THE F*CK OUT OF ME (in case you hadn't noticed by now).

Im leaving your debating chamber for the day Buckley, I have no interest in taking part in further discussions on this topic or wasting anymore breaktime by doing so.

:):) <- Note. Double smiley disclaimer.

Not angling for an argument, but trying to enagage in a discussion, but you're not discussing WHY you it bugs you. All debates not involving the specifics of an actual incident are hypothetical, but the scenarios I've decribed aren't unreallistic.

You think there should be a level playing field, I don't. I may give up a week's wages to buy a ticket but the fact that I willing to do so that doesn't, in your opinion, demonstate that I'm a 'legimate fan'.

as above, its the people who buy up tickets for the sole purpose of selling them on at a profit. you are making a whole new argument, and again, im not getting involved!

sport/music shouldn't be the luxury of people with money, they are there for everybody.

as above, its the people who buy up tickets for the sole purpose of selling them on at a profit. you are making a whole new argument, and again, im not getting involved!

sport/music shouldn't be the luxury of people with money, they are there for everybody.

But that was my original argument, that I thought you though sport was sancrosanct and shouldn't be subject to the laws of supply and demand.

Someone who takes a risk by speculating on an increase in market value of a product is not by definition a scumbag. Your not expressing what the difference is between this commodity and any other, apart from someone really wants it.

Not are you so ****ign wrong it's untrue, you're reasoning despairs me.

"Hey kids, what's wrong with pure capitalism"

It's people like YOU who keep 3rd world sweat shops and child slave labour in existence.

I'm with our big boned phillip on this one. Right on brother.

But that was my original argument, that I thought you though sport was sancrosanct and shouldn't be subject to the laws of supply and demand.

Taking it to a petty ultimate, and not that it's the crux of the arguement against, but could you imagine what a major nightclub, sporting event etc would be if it was sold by auction or whatever? The sort of people you get there?

Taking it to a petty ultimate, and not that it's the crux of the arguement against, but could you imagine what a major nightclub, sporting event etc would be if it was sold by auction or whatever? The sort of people you get there?

do they do prawn sandwiches in Turnmills?

There are places just like that.

It's people like YOU who keep 3rd world sweat shops and child slave labour in existence.

Not in the slightest. The reason that remark is so sensational is because the conditions those people live and work in are wrong.

This argument is about whether pure capitalism, applied to a luxury product that no-one needs, is wrong.

I think FF doesn't perceive certain tickets as being a "luxury item". He feels that everyone should be entitled to see the soccerball matches regardless of available funds.

What next? Tramps at the opera?

I say keep the oiks at the footer matches. For if any of them get into the Veuve Cliquot Polo open, I'll set the hounds on them.

There are places just like that.

Quite.

Now, with these places in mind, do you find them (and the clientelle) desireable company? Do you wish to attend these places?

And you condone the progression of sporting events/nightclubs to be more like this?

This argument is about whether pure capitalism, applied to a luxury product that no-one needs, is wrong.

Not everyone "needs" it the same and I'd rather have, say, devotion to the casue rather than wealth to be a measure of who attends, no?

it gets me that when a concert is announced, you'll get kids and eager fans etc. getting excited at the chance to go see their heroes (whatever) and then you have people sitting there, thinking, im going to make a quick unscrupulous buck off some desperate fan. if they left the tickets alone, itd be fairer. im not saying i know how to stamp it out, as buckley is so keen to point out, theres always supply and demand with these things.

all i said (funnily enough in the "self righteous post" :lol: surely im afforded the right to such an opinion in a thread with that title?) was that i thought people who deliberately buy up tickets to make money from others are scumbags (of varying degress). having a ticket intending to go, then being offered silly money to part with it is different, to be honest, i know id think about it too.

Not everyone "needs" it the same and I'd rather have, say, devotion to the casue rather than wealth to be a measure of who attends, no?

There's a logic there and the real situation is a mixture of the two.

Attempting to get a rational explanation for FF's very strongly expressed position ended up with me defending a similarly polarised position which I didn't necessarily hold. I'm still not convinced either way.

Were some super-tout buying up all the the tickets and excluding the working classes entirely, I could understand why that would not sit well. As I understand it, and I admit my regular attendance at professional football matches is a good 19 years ago, loyal season tickets holders have a reasonable chance of getting tickets, although this is, of course, diminished by each corporate or touted ticket. Is this the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
Were some super-tout buying up all the the tickets and excluding the working classes entirely, I could understand why that would not sit well.

Which is pretty much the case now with any major event.

As I understand it, and I admit my regular attendance at professional football matches is a good 19 years ago, loyal season tickets holders have a reasonable chance of getting tickets, although this is, of course, diminished by each corporate or touted ticket. Is this the case?

It's well known that the stands at Chelski are full of Goldman Sachs employees explaining the offside rule to their other halves.

Which is pretty much the case now with any major event.

So even if you are season ticket holder and you've been to all the games you have no chance of getting a ticket to the FA Cup Final if your team is in it?

So even if you are season ticket holder and you've been to all the games you have no chance of getting a ticket to the FA Cup Final if your team is in it?

Do you know how much a season ticket costs? Do you have to have season ticket to be a "proper" fan?

Do you know how much a season ticket costs? Do you have to have season ticket to be a "proper" fan?

Nope and I'm not sure. It seems a reasonable way of at least assessing those whose interest in a team is long term, 'legitmate' pehaps in FF's terms.

Nope and I'm not sure. It seems a reasonable way of at least assessing those whose interest in a team is long term, 'legitmate' pehaps in FF's terms.

Ok, but if we took the price factor out completely, then there wouldn't be the question.

Oh, and what about concert tickets? They should only give them to people who have joined the "£50 for a year for a free badge and printed signature of the lead singer" type afiars?

Back