Secret Life of an Ibiza Worker

Ellie sounds like a right twat. But, very ibiza. Is she now located in Peru?!

The Mambos Boat Sunset

Although I was growing closer every day to the rest of the girls in the apartment block, things with Ellie were only getting worse and I can honestly say were ruining my summer. It was like a constant weight around neck and the only thing keeping me sane was spending as little time as possible in the apartment, and an ever increasing time with Chris at his work. I probably single handily kept that bar in daytime business over the summer, but I didn't mind. We always had a great laugh, and had a wide variety of characters that would pop in for a swift half every few days. One such day I had spent a rather enjoyable afternoon with Chris but decided I should pop home to get shower and maybe sneak in a nap before work. Weirdly even with all the problems with Ellie, that night I had agreed to help her out at work. I'd love to say it was me being helpful and kind, but it wasn't. I wanted to keep an eye on her working to make sure she actually went to work and would finally start paying me some of the money back that she owed me. Rent day was fast approaching again, and as it stood if she gave me all my money back I would be able to afford rent, if she didn't, I most definitely would be finding myself out on the street! I also still hadn’t heard back from Alex, and as I’d first met him in a bar in the West End, I hoped there was a possibility I might just bump into him again there.

When I arrived back that evening I found Amy on her balcony two doors over and she shouted for me to come round for a drink. She seemed in a really excited mood and when I asked why she explained that she was about to go on a boat ride with this old gentleman (he was about 70+!) she had met at work who was spending the summer out here on his boat. She said it would be great if I came along so I quickly got ready and we ran down to the harbour to meet him. Clive met us near his little speed boat with chips and pizza and promised us copious amounts of rum when we got on board the main boat! A short trip later and we pulled up to what is the most beautiful boat I have ever seen! I think the best description I can give is a romantic pirate ship, beautiful red sales and lots of lovingly cared for dark wood. When we go on board he gave us a tour of the two cabins and beautiful decks before pouring us a rather strong rum cocktail. As I sat eating, drinking and enjoying the sun and company I thought about what a perfect day this had been, and how only in Ibiza can such wondrous spontaneous adventures can occur.

Amy had work a short time late so Clive jumped into the little speed boat to drop her off around the bay, unfortunately he couldn't get it to start - be this the amount of rum we drank or a technical fault we couldn't quite figure out, but he shouted across to one of his friends sailing past and they did the courteous thing and dropped her off instead.

It was now getting towards sunset and Clive suggested we sail over to Mambos to watch it from this prime position. I jumped at the chance, especially when he then allowed me to do the sailing. Seeing the sunset from out in front of mambos, in the gentle tide was absolutely perfect and really ended the evening on a high. After sailing back to his normal spot I'm not really sure what happened next. All I remember is half hobbling home through the centre of San An (I drunkenly left my shoes on board), and waking up the next day to a horrified Amy above my bed. Clive had awoken with a stinking hangover to find my shoes on deck, he too didn't remember getting me back to shore and worried I had drunkenly fallen overboard D

Oh and Ellie never did do any work that night after I left either!

The Mambos Boat Sunset

Although I was growing closer every day to the rest of the girls in the apartment block, things with Ellie were only getting worse and I can honestly say were ruining my summer. It was like a constant weight around neck and the only thing keeping me sane was spending as little time as possible in the apartment, and an ever increasing time with Chris at his work. I probably single handily kept that bar in daytime business over the summer, but I didn't mind. We always had a great laugh, and had a wide variety of characters that would pop in for a swift half every few days. One such day I had spent a rather enjoyable afternoon with Chris but decided I should pop home to get shower and maybe sneak in a nap before work. Weirdly even with all the problems with Ellie, that night I had agreed to help her out at work. I'd love to say it was me being helpful and kind, but it wasn't. I wanted to keep an eye on her working to make sure she actually went to work and would finally start paying me some of the money back that she owed me. Rent day was fast approaching again, and as it stood if she gave me all my money back I would be able to afford rent, if she didn't, I most definitely would be finding myself out on the street! I also still hadn’t heard back from Alex, and as I’d first met him in a bar in the West End, I hoped there was a possibility I might just bump into him again there.

When I arrived back that evening I found Amy on her balcony two doors over and she shouted for me to come round for a drink. She seemed in a really excited mood and when I asked why she explained that she was about to go on a boat ride with this old gentleman (he was about 70+!) she had met at work who was spending the summer out here on his boat. She said it would be great if I came along so I quickly got ready and we ran down to the harbour to meet him. Clive met us near his little speed boat with chips and pizza and promised us copious amounts of rum when we got on board the main boat! A short trip later and we pulled up to what is the most beautiful boat I have ever seen! I think the best description I can give is a romantic pirate ship, beautiful red sales and lots of lovingly cared for dark wood. When we go on board he gave us a tour of the two cabins and beautiful decks before pouring us a rather strong rum cocktail. As I sat eating, drinking and enjoying the sun and company I thought about what a perfect day this had been, and how only in Ibiza can such wondrous spontaneous adventures can occur.

Amy had work a short time late so Clive jumped into the little speed boat to drop her off around the bay, unfortunately he couldn't get it to start - be this the amount of rum we drank or a technical fault we couldn't quite figure out, but he shouted across to one of his friends sailing past and they did the courteous thing and dropped her off instead.

It was now getting towards sunset and Clive suggested we sail over to Mambos to watch it from this prime position. I jumped at the chance, especially when he then allowed me to do the sailing. Seeing the sunset from out in front of mambos, in the gentle tide was absolutely perfect and really ended the evening on a high. After sailing back to his normal spot I'm not really sure what happened next. All I remember is half hobbling home through the centre of San An (I drunkenly left my shoes on board), and waking up the next day to a horrified Amy above my bed. Clive had awoken with a stinking hangover to find my shoes on deck, he too didn't remember getting me back to shore and worried I had drunkenly fallen overboard D

Oh and Ellie never did do any work that night after I left either!
70+, I feel young ?

The Decision to Leave

Even with the fun of the last few weeks there were still a lot of worries on my mind. Rent day was soon coming up and Ellie was still up to her usual antics. I really was at my wits end and didn't know what to do. Chris had offered to let me crash at his for a while but he had just started seeing a new girl and had another friend on a sofa that had been kicked out by his missus, so this was hardly going to be ideal. One day while walking to the West End I bumped into Brett and another friend from the first year called Craig (Craig was not my favourite type of person in Ibiza, his whole life just seemed to revolve around being a walk around PR and making as much money as possible, whilst having little fun. He had also awkwardly asked me for a drink the year before, which I thought was a group of us, and when I turned up he’d told everyone it was a date!)

Brett & Craig suggested I move in with them. It wasn't going to be ideal and certainly would be quite squashed as they also lived with Ethan and Billy. Ethan and Billy would be leaving in around 5 weeks’ time as they are both crazy Man City fans so they suggested I live there or free for the next 6 weeks and then take over the rent to help Craig and Brett out. PERFECT. Now all I had to do was tell Ellie and the other boys I currently lived with.

Being a bed short already in my current apartment it actually didn't cause too much fuss leaving. A few weeks earlier a third Latvian has arrived , Ivars, so we had the three Latvians sharing one room with two single beds, Tony in the living room on a sofa bed and myself and Ellie (+ whoever else ‘spent the night’) in the second bedroom.

When I explained to the boys they said they would prefer to have Ellie gone (partly due to the fact I might actually make rent, and she still was doing little work), but that wasn't going to happen as she was a stubborn SOAB so I went with Tony to speak to the landlord. Our landlord was a peculiar guy, you could never guess what mood you would catch him in, but that day he seemed to be in a friendly mood and greeted me with a hug and a kiss. He already had some idea as to the money situation in the apartment as he had had constant grief off us paying the rent late so he thought one of us moving out was a good idea. Tony couldn't actually afford to pay his rent and deposit this month after continually being ****ed around off his employer (a well known brand with a new diner in the San An area!) so we agreed with him that I would pay the rent and cover my deposit until Tony could pay me back at a rate of 100euros a week. The landlord was keen for me to not get into grief with lending more people money, but this drastic option seemed like my only way out, so I agreed.

Telling Ellie was relatively easy in the end. The boys had already mentioned it and she seemed quite disinterested. Moving day was the very next day and so Craig came down to my apartment to help me lug my cases 5 minutes up the hill to the West End where the new flat was located. As soon as I arrived I felt immediately at ease. Hugs all round and Brett made me a cup of tea with real milk and English tea bags! I sat down perched on the end of sofa / Ethan's bed and felt a huge sense of relief. As much as a squash as it was going to be, it was all going to be ok.

I am really enjoying your story, its bringing back a lot of fond memories for myself. i worked in Ibiza 2005 and also stayed at the Azul.

Keep them coming

Back