San Antonio, what can be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did the same in Mallorca in El Arenal. It was a german area with a lot of Problems. Ibiza has a problem with too many tourists anyway ( traffic , sewage plants , drinking water and so on ). If they choose a type of tourist to be reduced , its the typical San An Tourist and all Inclusive Families. They dont leave money at the island. They eat and drink at the hotel and spend less money at the island. The San An Tourist causes a reputation problem for the area.

Agree on the sewerage part, especially. Some of the island is horrific for the smell. It's a delicate one as far as tourists. Everyone wants rid of the morons that insist on scrapping when they've had a few. But there are also so many San an party goers that drink down the west end that are rarely at the hotel and are out eating and drinking during the day at the local bars and putting money into the economy. Myself being one of them. Plus, if we get rid of too many of the "characters" we'll be stuck with the dullness of the V.I.P's then all the folk with anything interesting to say or any character will be gone and Ibiza will lose its magic. There's a fine line.

Agree on the sewerage part, especially. Some of the island is horrific for the smell. It's a delicate one as far as tourists. Everyone wants rid of the morons that insist on scrapping when they've had a few. But there are also so many San an party goers that drink down the west end that are rarely at the hotel and are out eating and drinking during the day at the local bars and putting money into the economy. Myself being one of them. Plus, if we get rid of too many of the "characters" we'll be stuck with the dullness of the V.I.P's then all the folk with anything interesting to say or any character will be gone and Ibiza will lose its magic. There's a fine line.

Theres also no clear plan for what the West End would be if the bars arent there. Without spending multi millions you are pretty much stuck with what you have got. Some of the taller towers may have decent seaviews but aside from that the buildings dont have anything attractive to them.

San An's resteraunt scene is already around the Marina, Calo Des Moro and the Bay so cant see there being a need for more. You could change some into hotels/apartments but again at big cost. Houses would most likely mean overseas 2nd home owners so doesnt do a lot for the locals.

Its easy to say 'get rid' its harder to say 'whats next?'

Change in San An doesnt mean all Bars are close. That means less Bars , more Restaurants , less All inklusive Resorts , less cheap Alkohol. Less Trouble. Remember : Its a town where People live. Do you want such Things in your
hometown for 6 months? At any day you are not 25 anymore. There is a Thread Here : What the locals think ... Some of them are sick of it.
Remember : In earlier days Ibiza was a Hippie Paradies. These are the roots.If you look around , you can see it everywhere.Not a cheap Drink and Party hard destination

Change in San An doesnt mean all Bars are close. That means less Bars , more Restaurants , less All inklusive Resorts , less cheap Alkohol. Less Trouble.

Except AI is very much on the increase and tour operators are taking huge allocations in hotels that used to be independents. It's why you can't get an affordable room in San An any more outside of a package holiday quite a lot of the time in anywhere half reasonable ! The accommodation issue is a big one, I always used to stay there because you could get a nice room with parking in a family owned hotel in Calo d'es Moro away from the horror show down the road very reasonably. But as a single traveler I am not paying f'kin 200 euros a night to stay in an average hotel in that location when I am out all day, as you are asked to now even before August prices hit. Not everyone wants to hang around using hotel facilities on holiday but they all seem to want to refurb and prove more stuff some people don't use or want anyway.

Between rip-off airline baggage charges/extras, skyrocketing sports travel insurance and overpriced hotels, budget on a short trip has taken a huge hit before you even step foot outside your hotel. That's money I want to use to rent a powerboat or eat properly ! Take away cheap value hotels and it's not only so-called low quality tourists who turn away - or turn to AirB&B as their point of last resort !

Change in San An doesnt mean all Bars are close. That means less Bars , more Restaurants , less All inklusive Resorts , less cheap Alkohol. Less Trouble. Remember : Its a town where People live. Do you want such Things in your
hometown for 6 months? At any day you are not 25 anymore. There is a Thread Here : What the locals think ... Some of them are sick of it.
Remember : In earlier days Ibiza was a Hippie Paradies. These are the roots.If you look around , you can see it everywhere.Not a cheap Drink and Party hard destination

I understand that. I live in Torquay in England. A seaside town where all summer, stag and hen parties descend and wreak havoc. It's annoying at times but at the same time i understand this is part of living here. It's not like that side of things has just popped up all of a sudden. It's been a mad house around central San an for half of the year for 35 years. Where as I agree it needs to be toned down for other people's benefit. If you choose to live next to a tourist strip of cheap, tacky bars then you can't really be shocked when it becomes a mad house. The perfect example is faliraki. After years of getting money pumped into their economy by "unfashionable" tourists they tried doing what San an is now. Their tourist industry almost completely died. Now their trying to claw them back to no avail. There needs to be middle ground somewhere. Pump some money into the sunset strip and San an front but also cater to the people that just come to get tanked with their pals. That way everyone is happy. As annoying as this type of tourism can be if you live near it. It'll be a whole lot worse if you almost eliminate the tourism industry and all shops and restaurants you once enjoyed leave due to this

Except AI is very much on the increase and tour operators are taking huge allocations in hotels that used to be independents. It's why you can't get an affordable room in San An any more outside of a package holiday quite a lot of the time in anywhere half reasonable ! The accommodation issue is a big one, I always used to stay there because you could get a nice room with parking in a family owned hotel in Calo d'es Moro away from the horror show down the road very reasonably. But as a single traveler I am not paying f'kin 200 euros a night to stay in an average hotel in that location when I am out all day, as you are asked to now even before August prices hit. Not everyone wants to hang around using hotel facilities on holiday but they all seem to want to refurb and prove more stuff some people don't use or want anyway.

Between rip-off airline baggage charges/extras, skyrocketing sports travel insurance and overpriced hotels, budget on a short trip has taken a huge hit before you even step foot outside your hotel. That's money I want to use to rent a powerboat or eat properly ! Take away cheap value hotels and it's not only so-called low quality tourists who turn away - or turn to AirB&B as their point of last resort !

I'd suggest some winter visit's. So cheap overall and I find them much more enjoyable. Slow and steady pace and some cracking local filled bars in the evening :)

I have this vision that one day either Kim Jong un or Trump will press the button. Destroy the world. As buildings are flattened. Tree's destroyed. The world is a complete waste land. Then I make it to Ibiza. The only thing that's survived is Shenanigans & the Highlander. People in Celtic shirts sit covered in dust with jugs of cheap cocktails, singing like they haven't noticed a thing.

Well done on the bird but come back to Trance brother ;)
Sounds class hail hail

I'd suggest some winter visit's. So cheap overall and I find them much more enjoyable. Slow and steady pace and some cracking local filled bars in the evening :)

Yeah I've been out of season and it's great, but I like heat and sun, and the travel is too time consuming when coupled with short days and no direct flights. You end up losing 2 whole days going and coming back, and LCY is way too hard to get to. I live in South Devon most of the year too about an hour from you and unless there's a really bad spell we often get decent weather out of Season at home !

Yeah I've been out of season and it's great, but I like heat and sun, and the travel is too time consuming when coupled with short days and no direct flights. You end up losing 2 whole days going and coming back, and LCY is way too hard to get to. I live in South Devon most of the year too about an hour from you and unless there's a really bad spell we often get decent weather out of Season at home !

When I went in January I got an in direct flight from Exeter. Going out I changed at Malaga and coming back I changed at Barcelona and flew to Bristol. Even with the changes it was only about 5 hours each way in total including waiting time so weren't to bad and the weather was early twenties when we got there. I've seen some flights direct from Bristol end of October for 2 nights that are £12 each way. I usually stay in Ibiza town out of season but thinking about booking somewhere near the Buddha and just going and chilling on the balcony and on Caló Moro beach with a pack of beers for two days haha

Last edited:
When I went in January I got an in direct flight from Exeter. Going out I changed at Malaga and coming back I changed at Barcelona and flew to Bristol. Even with the changes it was only about 5 hours each way in total including waiting time so weren't to bad and the weather was early twenties when we got there. I've seen some flights direct from Bristol end of October for 2 nights that are £12 each way. I usually stay in Ibiza town out of season but thinking about booking somewhere near the Buddha and just going and chilling on the balcony and on Caló Moro beach with a pack of beers for two days haha
At that price can you afford not to go?

At that price can you afford not to go?

Thing is even with cheap flights you wind up spending a whack. I paid £35 for flights in July using Avios and burned £900 in 4 days with no clubs, no alcohol, no favours, no boat hire and an AirB&B costing about £70 a night. It's bonkers how fast it all adds up !

Thing is even with cheap flights you wind up spending a whack. I paid £35 for flights in July using Avios and burned £900 in 4 days with no clubs, no alcohol, no favours, no boat hire and an AirB&B costing about £70 a night. It's bonkers how fast it all adds up !

What on earth did you spend that on without spending it on those mentioned items? o_O

Did you just walk around handing out 20€ notes?!

I was being frugal in most respects, the only thing I changed was actually eating properly every day most days, for possibly the first time ever. Knocking off fuel, £270 for 4 days of food and soft drinks at average restaurant prices, filling station bottled water, snacks and drinks for car trips and other incidentals over 4 days isn't a lot it's only £70 a day. Individually, the areas of expenditure all look very reasonable but when you add it all up that's how fast you reach nearly a tonne even with virtually free flights, very cheap accommodation and actually travelling around the island a lot.

There's a breakdown on here : https://forum.ibiza-spotlight.com/t...-ibiza-23-27-july-19.79472/page-2#post-988457

I understand that. I live in Torquay in England. A seaside town where all summer, stag and hen parties descend and wreak havoc. It's annoying at times but at the same time i understand this is part of living here. It's not like that side of things has just popped up all of a sudden. It's been a mad house around central San an for half of the year for 35 years. Where as I agree it needs to be toned down for other people's benefit. If you choose to live next to a tourist strip of cheap, tacky bars then you can't really be shocked when it becomes a mad house. The perfect example is faliraki. After years of getting money pumped into their economy by "unfashionable" tourists they tried doing what San an is now. Their tourist industry almost completely died. Now their trying to claw them back to no avail. There needs to be middle ground somewhere. Pump some money into the sunset strip and San an front but also cater to the people that just come to get tanked with their pals. That way everyone is happy. As annoying as this type of tourism can be if you live near it. It'll be a whole lot worse if you almost eliminate the tourism industry and all shops and restaurants you once enjoyed leave due to this

1. Locals don't choose to live in hellholes. It's their home and heritage.
  2. There are ways to eliminate trash tourism without losing trade. It just requires imagination, investment and joined up thinking from entrepreneurs, social enterprises, govt agencies and a more global market. See coastal England where some rundown/tacky resorts are getting a new lease of life from arts/creatives/foodies

1. Locals don't choose to live in hellholes. It's their home and heritage.
  2. There are ways to eliminate trash tourism without losing trade. It just requires imagination, investment and joined up thinking from entrepreneurs, social enterprises, govt agencies and a more global market. See coastal England where some rundown/tacky resorts are getting a new lease of life from arts/creatives/foodies

Yeah that's fair enough. But what I will say is, even though I've lived in Torquay most of my life. If I no longer liked it, I'd move. A change is needed but not at the expense of a fun atmosphere though. They've tried swanking the harbour area of Torquay up. Hasn't done alot clientele wise to be fair. Only difference it's made is that where as I used to pay £2.60 a pint now I pay close to a fiver :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back