San Antonio, what can be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some good points on the first page.
Can't reply to all but very briefly..

Iv always enjoyed the few times iv been in West end, but walking down that street i don't always feel safe.

Ideally you don't want a high police presence on holidays, I find the Spanish police actually intimidate me as much as the hookers/louts do!

I'm not sure what the solution is but if it's wikiwoo then I think I'd prefer to take my chances in the westend.

Strange sensation this August. For a laugh I stayed in San Antonio for a few nights, and then got on a plane to Mallorca and spent two nights in Magaluf and then flew back to Ibiza and spent a final night in San Antonio again. I wanted to compare the two. Drinks in San An certainly felt like they were watered down. At least at one bar. Had the same drinks in Magaluf and they were much stronger and at the same price. My first reaction was the ridiculous police presence. I saw two officers in San Antonio, and yet in Magaluf I counted over 35. They were walking in large groups up and down the main strip. The bars are on a steep hill, with dazzling neon lights on either side which were impressive, and hundreds of Brits staggering up and down amongst a large police presence with barricades. The hookers and drug dealers were keeping a very low profile outside the strip in Magaluf. It was buzzing with activity but it certainly felt like a pale immitation of Ibiza. From my own observation the average age of Brits I saw in Magaluf seemed to be 18 - 23 and they were overly exicted in the streets as young folk often are, but the average age of Brits in San An seemed to be much older around 27 - 40 and were much more respectful and adult. I guess that is why fewer police presence was needed?

Although that said, there were several small groups of girls in San An who were dressed so slutty during the day that people were commenting on their exposed behinds, and one woman yelled out loud - quote - "I want to break as many cks in my tiny py as I can tonight" and laughed. There is a vulgarity that still shadows over San An, but I know guys and girls who love it and go to Ibiza specifically so they can talk and behave in that manner. Despite the low police presence, I still felt much safer in Ibiza than I do back home. True, the police in San Antonio are almost non-existent and hookers and drug dealers are pretty rampant and hard to miss, but I strangely get a sense of absolute safety. It could be because I've been there so often and know the streets so well. Overall I would give this summer in San Antonio 6.5/10. It would have got 7, but some of the bars were closed, and they still haven't repaired the loose planks on the jetty and the beach seemed pretty dirty around the water's edge. Felt like the place had seen better days.

Last edited:
From my own observation the average age of Brits I saw in Magaluf seemed to be 18 - 23 and they were overly exicted in the streets as young folk often are, but the average age of Brits in San An seemed to be much older around 27 - 40 and were much more respectful and adult.

Most of the kids probably can't afford a hotel room in San Antoni any more ! The bars have likely massively scaled back on alcohol in drinks because business has been hit so hard with early closing rules and forcing people inside they can't afford to stay afloat any other way. Think the cops in Magaluf are there mainly to deal with alcohol-related violence and tourists misbehaving rather than pushers and prostitutes, but those are likely deterred as a side-effect. The West End has been rowdy at times but the incidence of violence is massively overblown in many peoples'minds !

Don't agree with that at all, there are some amazing bargains in SA. Basic, comfy, safe and clean.

In peak Season apart from Amistadt ? Really ? Just interested in what you consider to be a bargain because on booking.com, prices of all Hostals and hotels I looked at in late July was about 60-100% more than 6-7 years ago. That includes the likes of Piscis Park, RED, etc. Even Camping San Antonio wanted around a hundred euros a night :lol:

Strange sensation this August. For a laugh I stayed in San Antonio for a few nights, and then got on a plane to Mallorca and spent two nights in Magaluf and then flew back to Ibiza and spent a final night in San Antonio again. I wanted to compare the two. Drinks in San An certainly felt like they were watered down. At least at one bar. Had the same drinks in Magaluf and they were much stronger and at the same price. My first reaction was the ridiculous police presence. I saw two officers in San Antonio, and yet in Magaluf I counted over 35. They were walking in large groups up and down the main strip. The bars are on a steep hill, with dazzling neon lights on either side which were impressive, and hundreds of Brits staggering up and down amongst a large police presence with barricades. The hookers and drug dealers were keeping a very low profile outside the strip in Magaluf. It was buzzing with activity but it certainly felt like a pale immitation of Ibiza. From my own observation the average age of Brits I saw in Magaluf seemed to be 18 - 23 and they were overly exicted in the streets as young folk often are, but the average age of Brits in San An seemed to be much older around 27 - 40 and were much more respectful and adult. I guess that is why fewer police presence was needed?

Although that said, there were several small groups of girls in San An who were dressed so slutty during the day that people were commenting on their exposed behinds, and one woman yelled out loud - quote - "I want to break as many cks in my tiny py as I can tonight" and laughed. There is a vulgarity that still shadows over San An, but I know guys and girls who love it and go to Ibiza specifically so they can talk and behave in that manner. Despite the low police presence, I still felt much safer in Ibiza than I do back home. True, the police in San Antonio are almost non-existent and hookers and drug dealers are pretty rampant and hard to miss, but I strangely get a sense of absolute safety. It could be because I've been there so often and know the streets so well. Overall I would give this summer in San Antonio 6.5/10. It would have got 7, but some of the bars were closed, and they still haven't repaired the loose planks on the jetty and the beach seemed pretty dirty around the water's edge. Felt like the place had seen better days.

Interesting to read your comparisons to Magaluf.

Ibiza has always had a slightly older crowd. The 'hierarchy' of holidays has tended to be Zante for your first, then Malia/Agia Napa/Magaluf then Ibiza when you're a bit older. But I would say the average age has crept up in Ibiza recently.

Agree that costs are a main reason, a younger person in reduced minimum wage or only working during Uni holidays etc can't feasibly afford Ibiza even if they live like a Monk and stay in eating bread and water all year.

No issue with Ibiza going a bit more upmarket, as that does filter out some of the problem tourists, but I've said it before and I'll say it again...if they aren't replacing the older clubbers who've stopped raving each summer then things can become old and quiet in the resorts very quickly.

I saw a dusty car in San Antonio which had this written on the back window as it drove passed our bus:

• Go Home Tourists -
  • Without Us You Don't Eat -
Not sure if the second quote was made by somebody else in response to the first. My reaction was that somebody took offense and wrote the second remark as they believe tourism is a major contribution to the economy and jobs and without tourism the residents can't eat. Then again, the quote could be from the same guy and he is probably a disgruntled shop worker or farmer who is working long hours under pressure so that tourists can eat, and without them we can't eat.

Small issue, but any ideas what the message was referring to?

Discussed a lot here;

I think the reason why you feel safe is definitely out of familiarity. I'm the same but after an incident this time with my missus being followed on her way home. It's made me more wary

I saw a dusty car in San Antonio which had this written on the back window as it drove passed our bus:

• Go Home Tourists -
Not sure if the second quote was made by somebody else in response to the first. My reaction was that somebody took offense and wrote the second remark as they believe tourism is a major contribution to the economy and jobs and without tourism the residents can't eat. Then again, the quote could be from the same guy and he is probably a disgruntled shop worker or farmer who is working long hours under pressure so that tourists can eat, and without them we can't eat.

To be honest if I was a local and I see the amount of mess left at the Port I would be majorly disgruntled. Utter disrespect.

They were taping up the sound system in Peppers when I was in there a few weeks ago in the Bay. All seemed cordial, like the owners were holding their hands up for not having the correct papers possibly. There was still music being played in the bar even as the plain clothes people taped the indoor equipment up

• Go Home Tourists -

Dusty car = draw a cock

Hush Ibiza will be opening it's doors again TONIGHT in Paradis Bar... The summer has finished.. but.. we will be open during the winter every Friday and Saturday night, 11pm until 5am.. Quality underground music as always, discounted prices for residents and workers...

72397126_10156782316271909_9198908079230418944_n.jpg

* paradis bar is at the left of eden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back