San Antonio, what can be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm neither a yob or a snob either and generally open-minded and will go with the flow and can deal with either 'types' but feel the 'middle-ground' what i'd call every day people seems to have been lost somewhere, but I guess this is just a society issue. The behaviour of some people, some over the age of 30 literally stuns me to be honest, a bit like on the flights out to Ibiza no respect or consideration for others.

What annoys me is the lack of action taken by Police to stop crime, how many years have those women on the corner by Linekers bar been there now? aggressively approaching passers by regardless of who they are . I seen 2 very intoxicated girls no older than 19 off their faces buying Balloons , then running down to the sea , you worry for them . why isn't the front policed?why are drugs openly being sold. Instead of f***ing around with noise laws and so on they need to CLEAN UP the area.

I will say in the daytime San An is still mostly very enjoyable, chilled out places like the Orange Corner are nice places to go, the price to stay very basic hotels now is out of control and the '5 *' luxury ones quite ridiculous when considering the what's surrounding them.

You can't stop who goes to Ibiza but I feel now the focus is just overpriced VIP/Beach Club stuff V Crime/Drugs/Violence of the West End/Bossa strip , PDB itself feels run down and scruffy now too, seems like the efforts are all to make the hotels look pretty but the surrounding areas suffer!

I think the whole island is in need of a general clean up

Completely agree with this.

The 'where you from?' Ladies are surely giving some 'commision' to the Police to turn a blind eye, they are there every night of every year pickpocketing, they don't even move from the same spot! Quite often we cross the road just to avoid them.

My view is the area needs better Policing and that removes a lot of the seedy characters, you can then start nudging the area more upmarket. A lot of people behave the same way as their peers, if theyre in an area where 'anything goes' then standards slip and they start behaving ike that too (particularly after a few drinks)

The Westend itself needs some money spending too, must be a good 10-15 years since the last repaving was done. Spending some money improving bar fronts and creating more chilled terrace areas out front would improve the area. At the minute the strategy is to force everyone indoors at midnight, but most of the bars are cramped with bad toilets so its no surprise people arent bothering to visit after midnight.

Do they have secret securities ? I was in Pacha very early 1 time. I saw a lot of staff. What I saw was quiet and professional. They throwed Out a drunken Guy friendly. One behind , two at the Sides.Not to the Main Entrance. There ist a different one Close to the WC I think.

In german clubs some bouncers die their Business which was Not Security addicted ... Dont know how it is today

Last edited:
Completely agree with this.

The 'where you from?' Ladies are surely giving some 'commision' to the Police to turn a blind eye, they are there every night of every year pickpocketing, they don't even move from the same spot! Quite often we cross the road just to avoid them.

My view is the area needs better Policing and that removes a lot of the seedy characters, you can then start nudging the area more upmarket. A lot of people behave the same way as their peers, if theyre in an area where 'anything goes' then standards slip and they start behaving ike that too (particularly after a few drinks)

The Westend itself needs some money spending too, must be a good 10-15 years since the last repaving was done. Spending some money improving bar fronts and creating more chilled terrace areas out front would improve the area. At the minute the strategy is to force everyone indoors at midnight, but most of the bars are cramped with bad toilets so its no surprise people arent bothering to visit after midnight.
Agree with a lot of this, was with a mate who lived in San An for four years, we talked about ‘Big Momma’ and her crew, how they are allowed to keep doing what they do is head scratching.

Aside the west end does need money spending but as a bar owner would you put cash in at the minute especially for terraces/outside seating, which customers are not allowed to use- I wouldn’t!

Reading through some of the comments on here, some I agree with. Others not so much. Every place has it's good and bad. Like the place or not, the west end is just as much of an Ibiza staple as the clubs or the sunset strip have been down the years and for many of us it is what we look back on and smile thinking back of hitting it with your mates in your early twenties feeling invincible. Saying that. I was there last week and have to agree with previous comments that only a couple of bars had many people in them. Prices are ridiculous for the product you are receiving and the thieves and sexual predators that lurk just outside waiting for victims is as bad as ever. I'm 31 and have been going the west end for nearly a decade, mainly out of nostalgia more than anything the last few years. I don't really plan to go back there after my experience this time. Sitting on the rocks as the sun goes down just past the aquarium will always be part of my visit but this appears to be all San an has to offer these days. I do like the bay though. But, realistically, other than the price rises and closing times is the product the west end is flogging any different now to what it was 10 years ago? I think it's more that we've all changed and we want it to change with us. Like it or not there are mostly two types in the younger generation now. Spoilt daddies boys and girls that pay ludicrous prices for pointless VIP so they can brag on Instagram and make less fortunate people on there feel bad. Or blokes with man bags frowning at people cause they've had a line and and think their an extra on Narcos all of a sudden. As mentioned in a previous post, there's not many Inbetween/norms now. Only thing you can do is leave the west end to the people that love it or embrace it.

Last edited:
I'm torn here tbh. The revival of Eden & rise of O Beach seems to have accompanied the West End/Egg strip's decline. When the streets were mayhem, Hush was open 'till 6am, drinks were a song and Bar Amsterdam read out the specials with every order it was a very different San An to the one it has become. It was that very chaos which sustained the curiosity factor and you could actually have a laugh and some very cheap drinks there if you closed your eyes to the odd punch-up. The main attraction was always in the pricing. But it really is a pale shadow of what it was and there's just so many nicer places to go on the island that cost no more now.

The town seems to be in a transition phase, trying desperately to change but in the process losing the diversity and identity that gave it energy and made it interesting, whilst retaining all the sleaze that made up its unpleasant edge. I don't think it knows what it wants to be now. 120 euros a night for a 1* Hostel and 5 euros a pint is not cheap in a relative sense and yet the product you get for that hasn't changed from when those figures were half that or less only a few years ago. I am guessing in the end only the young and inexperienced will fall for it and they may be reluctant to come back. Who knows !

Some good posts above ?

O Beach's growth has definately had an impact, if you've spent a day in there you are unlikely to then go out on the West End after, due to the cost or just the fatigue after a few hours in the Sun drinking. I follow Wayne Lineker on Instagram (please dont ban me from the forum ;)) and a few years ago there would be a few out of high season videos and pics where it looked a bit quieter, but these days it looks rammed all season every day.

Agree that there is little incentive for West End bar owners to improve their bars currently, the vibe the politicans give is they dont want you there, and the muggers and prozzies prowling about means you arent going to attract more upmarket customers. It would need government/council level investment in the area to uplift things.

Also agree that culture has changed amongst the young, im in my 30s and social media only hit my generation in our Uni years, back then people didnt really care what pictures you got tagged in, you could be pictured puking in a stick to the floor bar and people would just find it funny, now people have carefully managed profiles and Westend bars just dont give the 'backdrop' they are looking for.

Beach's growth has definately had an impact, if you've spent a day in there you are unlikely to then go out on the West End after, due to the cost or just the fatigue after a few hours in the Sun drinking. I follow Wayne Lineker on Instagram (please dont ban me from the forum ;)) and a few years ago there would be a few out of high season videos and pics where it looked a bit quieter, but these days it looks rammed all season every day.

I know each to their own and all that but I personally think ocean beach, and not the west end, Represents everything wrong with modern day San an and culture in general. Whenever I see videos nobody appears to be having any genuine fun and it's just women stood in un-natural positions pretending their model's when realistically they probably work 16 hours a week in card factory back home ?

Also agree that culture has changed amongst the young, im in my 30s and social media only hit my generation in our Uni years, back then people didnt really care what pictures you got tagged in, you could be pictured puking in a stick to the floor bar and people would just find it funny, now people have carefully managed profiles and Westend bars just dont give the 'backdrop' they are looking for.

This I agree with. My girlfriend is in her mid-twenties and sometimes she must think I'm her dad cause I'm forever telling her to get off her phone at dinner or stop filming everything I do for effing Snapchat ? I used to have Facebook but don't anymore and I've never had the rest of them. Life's so much more enjoyable when you experience it there and then without worrying about documenting every little thing...... thinking about it. I might actually be 61 not 31 ?

This I agree with. My girlfriend is in her mid-twenties and sometimes she must think I'm her dad cause I'm forever telling her to get off her phone at dinner or stop filming everything I do for effing Snapchat ? I used to have Facebook but don't anymore and I've never had the rest of them. Life's so much more enjoyable when you experience it there and then without worrying about documenting every little thing...... thinking about it. I might actually be 61 not 31 ?

The 'always on' technology has changed things. My first Ibiza year was 2012 and either the mobile data was expensive or simply didnt work well (cant remember which!) so any photos you did take werent online until you got home. Now of course its 4G everywhere, and your filtered pic/snap/tweet can be on every social media platform in seconds.

Again means people are more interested in 'keeping up appearances' and checking-in at a famous bar with a filtered pic gets more likes than checking into an unknown Westend bar because you got a cheap drinks deal off the PR, even though those bars are/were often more of a laugh!

That place and location actually looks a good place to have a drink...but my missus actually said this last week ?

Yeah we actually popped in last year a few times as we were staying nearby. Had a DJ playing in the outside bar area, good atmosphere/ set up.

Missus was straight out with the phone ? happy snapping. She’s well into all that insta bollocks.

Bloody world we live in now ?‍♂️?

That hotel shows the change in culture perfectly. Until a couple of years ago it was the Costamar still very 70s/80s in its style and either a dump or a cheap place to stay depending on your viewpoint. Now yeh its an Instagram Photo Booth.

Lol true, Costa Mar is actually where I stayed on my first visit to Ibiza with my mates. Was perfect for us ??

Remember getting up to my room and going out on the balcony to admire the view of the sea.

Instantly noticed a discarded Johnny hard baked onto the cafe sun shade just below us ?!

When we we're sat in the golden Buddha having dinner on the last night I was quizzing the gf on the whole culture to try and understand. I said don't you find it weird that your mates that come across perfectly normal when your sat at dinner, were only hours before, sat in their bathroom at home pulling cringy "sexy" faces and putting them up for the world to see and now you're sat next to that person acting like everything's normal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back