Sad day for Norway

3fe9385286e2abccc4484502c97a5c62170d591214.jpg

Poignant..

A piece of good news:

Death toll lowered to 73 (68 youths on the island, 8 in the bomb blast)

20 more people alive than originally thought

Thank you - this is the first confirmation from the last few posts (weak though it comes across) that yes, it does indeed 'suck in this case...'

I'm at a loss of words as to how apathetic the views on this situation here seem to be?

No matter what your personal feelings are, it is not your decision on what a fair sentence is or how long someone should stay in jail. The lock someone up and throw away the key and the death penalty have really cut down crime across the globe, NOT! You rush to judge a judicial system that you nothing about, I would reserve judgement until the end of the sentencing however long/short that is? Different cultures we can discuss them but never truly understand other cultures.

No matter what your personal feelings are, it is not your decision on what a fair sentence is or how long someone should stay in jail. The lock someone up and throw away the key and the death penalty have really cut down crime across the globe, NOT! You rush to judge a judicial system that you nothing about, I would reserve judgement until the end of the sentencing however long/short that is? Different cultures we can discuss them but never truly understand other cultures.

Who said it was my decision on what a fair sentence is? My opinion on the other hand I have no problem in letting people know what that is. Agree with it or not...that's up to you.

The way you come across is that your basically defending the rights this lunatic.

Answer me this simple question...what do YOU think is a fair sentence for someone who kills 70 odd people is?

Yes Jay, I do rush to judge a judicial system that potentially frees a mass murderer after only 21 years. Don't you?

You know those surreal dreams that you have when you scream but no-one hears you, I feel like this talking about this obvious case of injustice...

What are you personal views then Jay on this case...I'd be interested to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in favor of the death penalty, they have it in the USA. Yes my name is Jay and I think a countries laws and judicial system is what works/was voted for by that nation. I do not sit on high and think my way or my countries way is the right path. The USA has a high crime rate and the penal system has become an industry not a means of rehabilitation. You make a judgement on your beliefs not based on the receptiveness of criminals coming out of the Norwegian penal system. That is the point you have lost, the Norwegian people had no complaint about their system prior to this attack. The crime was horrible and the maximum penalty under the law should be applied. In Norway that is 21 years unless the criminal is still deemed to be a threat to the public, but judges will decide that not just emotion of people.

found on another forum:

There was a serial killer released in Norway after 21 years recently. He killed 23 people.

The Prime Minister has said "we will meet this attack with more democracy, more openness and transparency"

That is the point you have lost, the Norwegian people had no complaint about their system prior to this attack.

I think you misunderstand my point completely. I admire a country who has lenient custodial sentences because it show that they have good rates of rehabilitation and it is a sign of a civil society.

You seem to want to brandish me the type of person who is all for lock bad people up and throw away the key...that is far from the truth. I believe in fairness and giving people a second chance..where appropriate.

A man who kills 76 people in cold blood does not deserve a second chance...and a loophole in any legal system that affords people in extreme circumstances a second chance, is obviously in need of change.

I hope that I'm wrong and this fvcker gets what he deserves.

I think you misunderstand my point completely. I admire a country who has lenient custodial sentences because it show that they have good rates of rehabilitation and it is a sign of a civil society.

You seem to want to brandish me the type of person who is all for lock bad people up and throw away the key...that is far from the truth. I believe in fairness and giving people a second chance..where appropriate.

A man who kills 76 people in cold blood does not deserve a second chance...and a loophole in any legal system that affords people in extreme circumstances a second chance, is obviously in need of change.

I hope that I'm wrong and this fvcker gets what he deserves.

Again you see it as a loop hole but it is actually the maximum penalty. Just like in some countries life in prison does not mean your natural life.

Again you see it as a loop hole but it is actually the maximum penalty. Just like in some countries life in prison does not mean your natural life.

Let me try and explain myself another way.

My definition of loop-hole in this instance is that maybe this calm and collected Anders Brievik looked into the current legal setup (which the more I think about it the more I think this idea holds credence) and said to himself, I am prepared to go to Jail for 20 years to prove my point. That is the worrying idea, the fact that overly liberal societies can promote this sort of extremism because of the low penalties that get dished out.

found on another forum:

There was a serial killer released in Norway after 21 years recently. He killed 23 people.

The Prime Minister has said "we will meet this attack with more democracy, more openness and transparency"

Tis mental, but is there really much difference between 23 people and 70-odd, in that they're both mass murder? The Norwegian people have obviously came up against this before and are prepared to live with it. Maybe they'll have a re-think now...

Is there any way the system can hold on to him if it doesn't think he's been rehabilitated? A few people seem to think there is and the Norwegian system is being mis-represented by foreign press. Imagine that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Containment is one of the penalties in the Norwegian legal system. Preventive detention can lead to imprisonment for life, because the original sentence can be extended for an indefinite number of times. Offenders that a court deemed sane, can be sentenced to custody if there is great danger that the offender might repeat the crime or considered a danger to society. People who perceived unpredictable in work currently can not be sentenced custody, but may instead be imposed compulsory mental health care and compulsory care.

Preventive detention is currently the only means the Norwegian courts have at their disposal to impose offenders a real life sentence, as there is no upper limit for such a judicial duration.

... So there is a chance that he will spend the rest of his life in jail..

Let me try and explain myself another way.

My definition of loop-hole in this instance is that maybe this calm and collected Anders Brievik looked into the current legal setup (which the more I think about it the more I think this idea holds credence) and said to himself, I am prepared to go to Jail for 20 years to prove my point. That is the worrying idea, the fact that overly liberal societies can promote this sort of extremism because of the low penalties that get dished out.

You assume facts not in evidence.:?:

Containment is one of the penalties in the Norwegian legal system. Preventive detention can lead to imprisonment for life, because the original sentence can be extended for an indefinite number of times. Offenders that a court deemed sane, can be sentenced to custody if there is great danger that the offender might repeat the crime or considered a danger to society. People who perceived unpredictable in work currently can not be sentenced custody, but may instead be imposed compulsory mental health care and compulsory care.

Preventive detention is currently the only means the Norwegian courts have at their disposal to impose offenders a real life sentence, as there is no upper limit for such a judicial duration.

... So there is a chance that he will spend the rest of his life in jail..

You seem to be from Norway(correct me if I am wrong), are you happy with the legal system?

You seem to be from Norway(correct me if I am wrong), are you happy with the legal system?

Yes, I`m from Norway. And no, not completely satisfied. Penalties should be longer for crimes that hurts other people. It`s too easy to be a criminal in Norway.
We can not close our eyes and think the best of everyone all the time.. Some people are just born without a soul..

Yes, I`m from Norway. And no, not completely satisfied. Penalties should be longer for crimes that hurts other people. It`s too easy to be a criminal in Norway.
We can not close our eyes and think the best of everyone all the time.. Some people are just born without a soul..

I think the point you were trying to prove has horribly backfired Jay...

Thanks for talking sense Ritter..and very sorry to hear the shocking news. I hope the bastard gets what coming to him, one way or another..

Back